AfterDawn: Tech news

Philips launches 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player for $400

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 21 May 2016 10:56 User comments (7)

Philips launches 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player for $400

Philips has unveiled their first 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray player, the BDP7501/301.
The player will be available for $400 starting next month in two colors, brushed aluminum and piano black.

Philips' latest has Dolby TrueHD Audio and DTS-HD Master Audio support, HDR video support, a second HDMI-out for audio receivers and the ability to stream 4K from Netflix and YouTube right out of the box.

Right now, the Philips BDP7501/301 is just the second UHD Blu-ray player on the market, joining Samsung's UBD-K8500 which sells for the same price with similar features.

Source:
Engadget

Previous Next  

7 user comments

122.5.2016 16:01

expensive paperweight - isn't everything being streamed nowadays.

I'll buy one and sit it on my shelf above my Betamax, VHS, CDi, Laserdisc, DVD player, HDDVD player and bluray player.

suppose it keeps some people in a job

222.5.2016 23:29

Originally posted by mahlemuts:
expensive paperweight - isn't everything being streamed nowadays.

I'll buy one and sit it on my shelf above my Betamax, VHS, CDi, Laserdisc, DVD player, HDDVD player and bluray player.

suppose it keeps some people in a job
I'm not even going to begin addressing the ignorance of this comment...

324.5.2016 10:53

I will never buy it or any BluRay player until they allow you to play discs with Cinavia copy protection. This copy guard must have stopped many MILLION'S of people from buying a modern Bluray Player. I'm sure there is some copy software out there can remove the copy guard but I would not spend a penny to buy it. I'm completely satisfied with 1080P and could care less about 4K. It's overkill for the few and I'm not one of them.

424.5.2016 13:54

Originally posted by ronhondo:
I will never buy it or any BluRay player until they allow you to play discs with Cinavia copy protection. This copy guard must have stopped many MILLION'S of people from buying a modern Bluray Player. I'm sure there is some copy software out there can remove the copy guard but I would not spend a penny to buy it. I'm completely satisfied with 1080P and could care less about 4K. It's overkill for the few and I'm not one of them.

AGREED!

1080 is fantastic and the noticeable difference between 4K and 1080p is negligible at best...especially from viewing the normal 8-10 feet away.

Besides, 4K is just a stepping stone since the theaters show movies in that format. 8K/holographic tech will be the real winner in due time.

I wouldn't touch 4K but not having a blu-ray player sounds flat out stubborn. I play blu-rays all the time and have a decent collection so I imagine many others feel the same.

524.5.2016 15:14

Originally posted by hearme0:
Originally posted by ronhondo:

AGREED!

1080 is fantastic and the noticeable difference between 4K and 1080p is negligible at best...especially from viewing the normal 8-10 feet away.

Besides, 4K is just a stepping stone since the theaters show movies in that format. 8K/holographic tech will be the real winner in due time.

I wouldn't touch 4K but not having a blu-ray player sounds flat out stubborn. I play blu-rays all the time and have a decent collection so I imagine many others feel the same.
I play Blu-Rays all the time on my computer that has a 32 inch screen. This is fine for me. I borrow the Blu-Ray discs from my friends and copy them using DVD Fab if I like the movie enough. But to be honest movies bore me. But I also download torrents of shows or movies that I like for free. The quality at even 720p is good enough for me so I'm happy and spending almost nothing at the same time.

63.6.2016 05:07

there is a good stage to do dvd wholesale. the main website is dvd-fan, there you can find all kinds of blu ray dvd, order now you can can get a big discount or free shipping. you can find our website by looking for the lion king on amazon, then our website will be the first one

75.6.2016 09:40

give you guys a goood websit to buy all kinds of blu ray dvd www-dvd fan.com many nee ralease dvd can be find there. addr;dvdfancompany@gmail.com

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive