AfterDawn: Tech news

RIP Google Hangouts

Written by Andre Yoskowitz @ 10 Oct 2016 5:56 User comments (4)

RIP Google Hangouts

Google has updated their Google Suite package (formerly GAPPS), making the "Hangouts" app now optional for OEMs.
Reads Google's email to devs: "Today, we are announcing that Google Duo will replace Hangouts within the suite of core GMS apps, and Hangouts will become GMS Optional for telephony products. This change will take effect on December 1, 2016."

Duo is Google's cross-platform FaceTime competitor.

Now, the headline may be a bit alarmist, but there will be little incentive for OEMs to include Hangouts when there are plenty of rivals that may pay better to have their messaging app pre-installed. Google does say Hangouts will be supported for business and personal, at least for now.

Source:
Android Police

Previous Next  

4 user comments

110.10.2016 20:41

Haha this is the millionth 'messenger/social' app for Google.

211.10.2016 13:45

Does that mean that I will now be able to delete it out of my android tablet & phone?

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 11 Oct 2016 @ 1:45

312.10.2016 09:28

Originally posted by RottieGrl:
Does that mean that I will now be able to delete it out of my android tablet & phone?
No...if it comes preinstalled you are still stuck with it. Just like all the other non-required bloatware that manufacturers and carriers load their phones with.

414.10.2016 12:09

Originally posted by RottieGrl:
What you would have to do (if it lets you) is disable the app.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive