AfterDawn: Tech news

PSA: Windows Vista support ends in April

Written by James Delahunty @ 13 Mar 2017 2:04 User comments (9)

PSA: Windows Vista support ends in April

After a decade of support Microsoft is preparing to abandon Windows Vista, meaning no new updates will be available after April 10, 2017.
Lucky for Microsoft, the installed based of Windows Vista is far smaller than that of Windows XP when it reached the end of its cycle. Approximately 1% of Desktop users are still using Windows Vista, considered to be one of Microsoft's least desirable consumer Desktop operating systems.

"Microsoft has provided support for Windows Vista for the past 10 years, but the time has come for us, along with our hardware and software partners, to invest our resources towards more recent technologies so that we can continue to deliver great new experiences," reads a Microsoft page about the end of Vista support.

Ideally, Microsoft would hope that users will update their computer to Windows 10, though it has reminded users that some hardware changes may be necessary for the upgrade.

Moving to Windows Vista's successor, Windows 7, will buy another few years of the support, with the comparably more successful OS due to reach the end of support in January 2020.

via: Softpedia

Previous Next  

9 user comments

114.3.2017 13:55

Holy crap nugget, VISTA still supported this late?! Color me shocked.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 14 Mar 2017 @ 1:55

215.3.2017 14:47

And all I have to say is...

Too bad,

So sad,

love dad

315.3.2017 21:19

</yawn>

416.3.2017 10:40

It was probably just a matter of convenience since most of the updates were just server updates with a couple lines changed. Still, pretty amazing anyone still has Vista. Pretty amazing any computer that came with Vista is still stable enough to download updates!

516.3.2017 15:14

Originally posted by KillerBug:
It was probably just a matter of convenience since most of the updates were just server updates with a couple lines changed. Still, pretty amazing anyone still has Vista. Pretty amazing any computer that came with Vista is still stable enough to download updates!
I am still working on a good number of Vista systems. Mostly for older people that simply browse the Web and get email, but it does everything that they want to do. I have no convincing argument to get them to change to a newer operating system.

616.3.2017 15:40

I love my Vista

716.3.2017 16:21

Originally posted by Virgil_B:
I am still working on a good number of Vista systems. Mostly for older people that simply browse the Web and get email, but it does everything that they want to do. I have no convincing argument to get them to change to a newer operating system.
Yeah, I know the kind...security won't be an argument either. These are the same people who keep using Yahoo email so I doubt they will mind being easily hacked. They will probably just be happy that the computer doesn't bother them about updates and restarts anymore...especially since their computers probably take 30 minutes to restart at this point.

817.3.2017 19:21

Originally posted by ourtrash:
I love my Vista

...sad!

920.3.2017 10:59

Originally posted by hearme0:
Originally posted by ourtrash:
I love my Vista

...sad!
I used to know a guy with a 3 legged dog that was blind in one eye and dumb as a post. It liked to chew on everything, including AC power cords. It got zapped a couple times but kept doing it. It would eat random non-food items and then either vomit on the floor or need to go to the vet. It would wake him (and the neighbors) up in the middle of the night to bark at a wall. He loved that dog. I wonder if he still has that dog...and if it has lost any more legs or eyes by doing stupid things. People can be strange about what they love.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive