1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't get my wireless network to work right

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by fasfrank, Aug 6, 2004.

1. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Well I went ahead and tried to hook up a linksys wireless network up to my two PCs and the internet.

So I have a PCI adapter card in each computer and a broadband router hooked up to my modem. Both computers can use the wireless connection to talk to the modem and the internet, I just can't seem to get them to talk to each other. All I'm trying to do is have the PCs share a printer and scanner, Share some files, etc.

I ran the XP network setup wizard about 20 times, trying different things. I have the same workgroup names. Have the same WPA numbers. I think I have it right but I must have missed something. Totally clueless and ignorant when it comes to this. If someone has a link to a simple step by step, I would appreciate it.

2. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

frank, you running any firewalls?

3. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Yes I am do you think the fact that both PCs are running McAfee might have something to do with it? I'll disable them and see what happens!

Thanks flip!

4. flip218

I don't think you need to disable, but you do need to add their ip addresses as trusted pc's. I put all ip addresses into both pc's :) I'm sure you already know, but to get your ip's run ipconfig.

5. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Why would you think I would know that? Hehe. Im as dumb as a sack of hammers. This networking stuff has sucked out my brain. I'll look for the addresses and load em in. If I can't find em, I'll let you know. Disabling the firewall did not help. Oh well.

PC #1 can see PC #2 when I go to "my network places" and ask it to find other computers in the work group. It cannot access any folders though. I get a Access Denied warning.

PC #2 cannot see #1 and lists only itself as a member of the work group.

6. flip218

Which ever files/folders you want to share you need to enable file sharing.

7. flip218

Frank,

When you run the network wizard, which selection are you using? ie. "This computer connects to the internet through another computer on my network or through a residential gateway". Or the other selection that might be close is "This computer connects directly to the Internet or through a network hub. Other computers on my network also connect to the Internet directly or through a hub".

Just a guess, but did you choose the second one?

8. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

I had the file sharing part enabled, also I just ran the wizard again and I was doing the connection set-up that gave the little warning....which I finally read. Seems that that particular method disables the comm between the PCs. Great. So I just lied to the wizard and told it that I wasn't connected to the net. Of course that didn't work either.

I'm not sure what the deal is... The router is connected to my modem so how else can I hook the thing up? Both PCs have a wireless PCI card installed.

I ran cmd and then typed in ipconfig at the command prompt.

This is PC #2:
    connection-specific DMS Suffix:....blank
    Autoconfiguration IP address: 169.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Subnet Mask: 255.xxx.0.0
    default gateway:....blank

This is #1:
    connection-specific DMS Suffix...blank
    IP Address: 192.xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx
    Subnet Mask 255.xxx.xxx.0
    Default Gateway 192.xxx.x.x

I did not see where I could actually enter trusted IP address in.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]motorcycle racer
    computer newbie
    Dual 3.06 xeon, 2048 MB RAM, XP Pro
    HDs: 2-74 GB 10k RPM SATA Raptors, raid 0 and Maxtor 250 GB, Burners: A-07, DRU 700A ROM: JLMS 166S
    Suzuki GSXR1000
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2004
  9. flip218

Frank,

That is the second one. Try doing the first one, when the wizard first opens it's the middle selection ...above other.

10. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thanks Flip, I'm going to work on it tomorrow. You know the wizard has you make a floppy which you put in the other PC. I'm suprised that doesn't set the things up to talk to each other. I'm a bit fed up with the situation so I'm going to call it a night and watch a movie instead. The one thing that gets me is how easy it was to get em both set up to connect to the net, yet after several hours of work I cannot get them to talk to each other. I'm running out of things to try. I'm ready to shoot the wizard.

Thanks for the help, It's always tough doing it from a distance.
    Frank

11. flip218

lol ... that don't work :) Just select the last one. Just as long as they are both on the same workgroup you'll be fine. Your router will make sure of the rest.

Frank I went through the same thing when I set up my wireless network. lol .. linksys!! I also chose the option that gave the warning screen, mostly because that diagram matched my setup the best, but after hours with linksys, microsoft and dell I chose the option to [bold]This computer connects to the internet through another computer on my network or through a residential gateway[/bold]. Run the wizard on your main pc first, then the second pc. As far as your firewall, I use Norton and I had to go into my network settings and enter my pc's as trusted ip's. Well good luck tomorrow :)

12. flip218

Frank if you want I can call you. Even though your two counties away I get free long distance. If you want PM me.

13. GrandpaBW

GrandpaBW Active member

fasfrank. I got broadband right before Christmas and was in the same situation as you for networking. I did not have to use the Network Wizard, and you shouldn't either. Try following the information in the following link. This is how I got mine to work.

http://www.homenethelp.com/web/howto/net-update.asp

14. fasfrank

fasfrank Active member

Thank you all for your tips and instruction!!!

Started in again this morning, worked about 3 hours on it. Got pissed. Boxed it back up and returned it. I then bought a Belkin unit and had some advice from the friendly folks at Circuit City.

Great, hook it up and the same problems...however this time I'm not quite as clueless. First, disable all the firewalls. Next, do the installation of the router. Using the cable connection between the PC and the router, not the wireless, No PCI cards installed yet.

Once the router is installed, install the PCI card in one PC only, the one not connected to the router. Belkin has a better install disc than Linksys so it actually almost worked at this point. Now all I had to do was enable the file sharing and that thing where you check the thing that does the security thingy. Right. Anyhow somehow it was working.

I established a restore point on both PCs in case I screwed up the next steps. Like I did when I had the whole thing working and tried to re-name one of the computers. Anyhow, I installed the PCI card in the second PC, got it talking to the internet and the other computer. Even got the printer working.

I don't have my encryption in place, I think I'll wait a while. I did get permmisions into my firewalls so they are back up.

This kind of stuff is cool to have but what a giant pain in the ass to install. Way to hard and very confusing. My head hurts.

I'm gonna get really drunk now so...

Thanks again,
    Frank

15. flip218

LOL ... yea very nice to go wireless :) I sent along time with Linksys, Microsoft and Dell ... almost half the the day, but now that it's all working I guess it was worth it.

16. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

He is? And here I was thinking he was just a state away........ :p

Yeah second that! :p

17. flip218

Same state ... different counties. King Co. & Thurston Co. ... about an hour or so away.

18. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

I knew that...... i just cant read.