AfterDawn: Tech news

Kaspersky wants EU to investigate Microsoft on security products

Written by James Delahunty @ 07 Jun 2017 3:06 User comments (6)

Kaspersky wants EU to investigate Microsoft on security products

Russian security software firm Kaspersky has asked European regulators to investigate Microsoft over its practices related to Windows Defender.
The European Commission has confirmed it received the anti-trust complaint from the Russian company, which alleges that Microsoft pushes its own security products on Windows 10 users.

"These actions by Microsoft lead to a lower level of protection for users, a limitation on their right to choose, and financial losses both for users and security solution manufacturers," Kaspersky said in a statement, according to the BBC News website.

Microsoft says its security products comply with competition laws and that it would answer whatever questions the regulator has.

Kaspersky also filed complaints with regulators in Russia and Germany.

Previous Next  

6 user comments

18.6.2017 10:40

This is the damn pot calling the kettle black!

EVERYTHING related to this company should be scrutinized. ANYONE using this as a/v with all that's happening today is just flat out stupid and doing so illogically.

Just built my company's network from ground up for 100 users and Kaspersky was a seriously attractive option but I'm sorry.......NO!

Russia is sinister and MS should ignore this suit. Kaspersky has no leg to stand on what-so-ever!!! NOTHING IN RUSSIA'S TECHNOLOGY belongs integrated in ANY WAY in this country!!!

Putin is another Hitler. He has direct control over everything that comes out of that sinister country, especially Moscow, where Kaspersky is HQ'd.

Add to this, Microsoft's a/v is ALMOST ALWAYS rated in the top for detection rates and some of the least amount of false positives, yet peeps somehow think Windows Defender/Security Essentials/ is bogus. It's not!

Kaspersky is just fighting back due to the recent news special about their lack of trustworthiness and potential for immediate take over by the Russian administration. They are not to be trusted.........PERIOD!

This coming from a 21 year veteran network architect and engineer.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 08 Jun 2017 @ 10:45

28.6.2017 16:48

Hope that Kaspersky takes Microsoft to the cleaners. The Windows 10 systems do not want to accept no other AV program.

39.6.2017 12:45

Originally posted by gDavid:
Hope that Kaspersky takes Microsoft to the cleaners. The Windows 10 systems do not want to accept no other AV program.

Well, while I will concede that Win10 is a nightmare and doesn't always play well with other software, I will say with definitive certainty that you my friend, are indeed TOTALLY INCORRECT.

So far, Win10 accepts the following that I have installed or used personally: Avast, Trend Micro, Symantec EPP. I have heard countless times that Bitdefender is stellar too. Either way, why would anyone want to pay for A/V when MS includes a VERY ROBUST and effective solution that has been tested through and through to be better than most others.

I will say though that Server 2016 (which is a server version of Windows 10) is not compatible with Symantec at this time for corporate but that is not technically "Windows 10"

49.6.2017 13:14

Windows Defender does not do particularly well against malware, and neither does Microsoft Security Essentials. You are also operating on a VERY old assessment of MSE, if you think it's even mediocre/sufficient, much less "good"; it's failed AV certification for years.

http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/microsof...ty-essentials-1
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-318...-2016-2017.html
https://www.howtogeek.com/173291/goodby...arty-antivirus/
https://redmondmag.com/articles/2015/01...virus-test.aspx
And so on.

It's better than nothing but there's absolutely nothing special about Windows Defender/MSE.

This message has been edited since its posting. Latest edit was made on 09 Jun 2017 @ 1:14

510.6.2017 03:01

Originally posted by hearme0:
Originally posted by gDavid:

Well, while I will concede that Win10 is a nightmare and doesn't always play well with other software, I will say with definitive certainty that you my friend, are indeed TOTALLY INCORRECT.

So far, Win10 accepts the following that I have installed or used personally: Avast, Trend Micro, Symantec EPP. I have heard countless times that Bitdefender is stellar too. Either way, why would anyone want to pay for A/V when MS includes a VERY ROBUST and effective solution that has been tested through and through to be better than most others.

I will say though that Server 2016 (which is a server version of Windows 10) is not compatible with Symantec at this time for corporate but that is not technically "Windows 10"

The problem is not so much that other AV software does not work, but that you can't actually turn off the crap that comes with windows without registry tweaks. Running multiple security suites can hurt performance more than some viruses, especially for those still using magnetic disks.

616.6.2017 20:40

I use Webroot Secure Anywhere with Win10. It works very well and it's footprint is virtually non-existent. Just wanted to add that to the list hearme0 stated above.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive