1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The damn Hp dvd writer 300c

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by msflsim, Aug 7, 2004.

1. msflsim

msflsim Member

Hi im trying to solve a weird problem here..i have a hp dvd writer 300c...and everything worked fine until a couple of days ago it died on reading normal cds...?!?
    Dvds are fine..but i cant burn anything or read any cds..wtf? is maybe the laser responsible for reading cds dead or something?
    please help before i get really pissed at the thing and throw it out of the window...:)

2. Nans

Nans Member

Hello, I've the same problem(one week ago)!!!
    It's very annoying...
    I want to find a solution.

PLEASE HELP US!

3. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Hi,

It sounds like the drives may be going kaput. How old are they?

As far as I know DVD burners use a single laser so it's possible that a firmware update will help. Here's a link:

http://forum.rpc1.org/dl_firmware.php?category=4&manufactor=37

When flashing firmware just take your time and follow the instructions exactly :)

4. bigorange

bigorange Active member

One hint at prolonging your burner's life. Never read with it, use your DVD rom drive for that and only burn with your burner.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2004
  5. lester1

lester1 Member

I too have exactly the same problem - the drive plays DVDs but not CDs - Has anyone managed to solve this yet - has anyone tried the firmware upgrade?

6. msflsim

msflsim Member

Well its been a while and i still havent solved my problem and as i can see a problem of many..i tried the firmware update..i didnt work..that hp dvd 300c is in fact a OEM philips dvd8301/44
    im getting really pissed off...i anybody has any ideas please do share them with us...

7. Nephilim

Hi,

Have you tried the burner in another system? That would allow you to verify whether the drive is good or not :)

8. msflsim

msflsim Member

i didnt, but as i said before everything was ok until a couple of weeks ago..i remember having trouble to burn any normal cds...and then kaput, dead...only dvd and nothing else

9. KungFuPro

KungFuPro Guest

philips? I heard they made bad dvd drive at least they did for the xbox. I think it the DVD writter But try reinstalling the DVD/CD burning program or reinstalling OS.

10. elcami

elcami Member

I got same problem some days ago. Afer trying all kind of dummy exercises to correct the problem, i finally talk to HP tech people, the say that the problem was caused for installing a different burn program that the one that came with the HP CP, 'Burn now', in my case i installed Nero.
    They told me also that if the problem is only that the unit cannot burn DVD, the solution is uninstall the forein burn program, but if the case is the one we are talking about, the sistem does not see CD while it can see DVD, the solution is to apply the operating system recovery procedure. (&ยก#|ff).
    Sorry for that news, if anyone has a better solution, please notify us, if not let us take in mind for a lot of time to that dummy company and never buy again no one needle with the name HP.
    By the way in spanish HP has a well known meaning.

11. bigorange

bigorange Active member

elcami, that is interesting. I have the HP dc4000 and have about 25 burning apps, all of which works with my burner. In fact it even will do VHS to DVD. Never had a problem with it.

In fact, they bundled Roxio with it, the one app I don't have because of the problems it causes with other apps.(i never installed it)

You would think all their burners would be able to use different apps. Very interesting.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG] [bold]GO VOLS![/bold]..Dell Media4600, XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,512MB,280HDw/8MB,17" flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated 5.1 audio, HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn SO[/small]

Last edited: Aug 23, 2004
  12. jawtrain

jawtrain Member

I installed a spare HP 300c (aka a Philips DVD 8301/44)into my new Dell Dimension 2400. I have the latest firmware for this model, but when I write a DVD all I get is x1 writing speed. This is crazy, any ideas of how to sort it. I have Nero 6 and Easy CD/DVD 6 (which I use as it shows the actual write speed).

13. Nephilim

Typical idiot tech support.

14. lllwiggin

lllwiggin Member

I've had the same problem as everyone else with the HP DVD Writer 300c (aka Phillips DVD8301/44). Mine lasted six months. After a lot of emails to Tech Support, who had me do a number of ineffective things, I called up and asked for a replacement DVD writer of a different model. It worked. The new DVD writer should be arriving soon.

15. bigorange

bigorange Active member

lllwiggin, which writer did you get to replace it?
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][​IMG][bold]GO VOLS![/bold].Dell Media4600,XP,Pentium 4 @2.80GHz/800Mz,1024MB,280HDw/8MB,17"flat panel,AIO-A920,8xDVD-ROM,integrated5.1 audio,HPdc4000,PlextorPX-708UF,LiteOn832S-DL[/small]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  16. lllwiggin

lllwiggin Member

I'll let you know as soon as it gets here! I should have asked specifically, but my main concern was not getting another Phillips DVD8301/44. They assured me the replacement was an upgrade.

17. jawtrain

jawtrain Member

I will remove the HP/Philips DVD writer and take it back to the store where I got the original PC that I removed it from, and hopefully get a replacement.

18. lllwiggin

lllwiggin Member

Ok, the replacement arrived. I've installed it, and it works well. The replacement is a hp dvd writer 400i (DVD8401/44), one model up. Good luck to you all.

19. bigorange

bigorange Active member

CONGRATS!:>)

20. Nephilim

Cool beans :)