AfterDawn: Tech news

Atari reveals its Ataribox game console in pictures

Written by Matti Robinson @ 18 Jul 2017 2:20 User comments (5)

Atari reveals its Ataribox game console in pictures

A month ago, after the E3 game conference, we heard rumors and saw a teaser of a new Atari product. The computer brand from the 70s was said to be developing a new game console.
Soon after Atari CEO Fred Chesnais confirmed the rumors but didn't have many details to reveal about the product. In the teaser we saw a sneak peek into some of the aesthetics but now we've got the entire thing to show you.

As you can see the device indeed has a retro look with a dark wood paneling covering the front. And as expected the design is based on the legendary Atari 2600 but is definitely not a replica.

If the nostalgic wooden panel isn't your thing, you can get the console with glass front panel with black/red coloring.

The device, called Ataribox, is essentially like Nintendo's last year's NES Classic that runs the classic games, but Atari says that you would also be able to get some "current content". However, don't expect next-gen graphics from even the new content.

Ataribox includes an SD card slot, an HDMI port, and four USB ports. There's also a headphone jack and an ethernet port in the back. The price, availability, or even any of the games have not yet been revealed.

Previous Next  

5 user comments

118.7.2017 14:59

If that's all this thing is, it didn't need to be anywhere near as large. Sounds like a flop to me.

218.7.2017 17:28

Atari games in HD? With those graphics? LMAO!

318.7.2017 23:56

If I can install Kodi on it, it might be worth my time.

422.7.2017 09:58

If they include basically every game ever made (or at least all the good ones) with HDMI then I am guessing there will be a core group of people who would like one of these. Yes, the original graphics suck but it really wouldn't take much to at least include some filters to take the edges off (literally). Even failing that, not needing an adapter would be a benefit versus the original and it also looks like the controls will be wireless. Nevermind the issues caused by ancient slot cartridges and 40 year old hardware in general.

Remember that to most AD readers if you want an HDMI 2600 with wireless controls you buy a RasPi. If you want the controls to be as authentic as possible, just buy an old joystick, solder in new switches, and use a devboard to make it bluetooth; no big deal. But there are plenty of people out there with fond memories of the earliest games AND a complete lack of technical skills who think RasPi is something you get from a diner and a devboard is something like a snowboard...the success of the NES mini is proof of that if nothing else.

522.7.2017 10:16

I once made an adapter for the Atari joysticks for my PC.....It involved using two serial ports in and two serial ports out as the Atari joysticks used the DB9 connector protocol. I don't remember what rating of resistors were used inside the box though but, surprisingly, the damn thing actually worked.

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
2 user comments
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive