AfterDawn: Tech news

PlayStation VR gets a price cut

Written by James Delahunty @ 30 Aug 2017 7:57 User comments (3)

PlayStation VR gets a price cut

Sony has responded to price cuts by VR competitors by cutting the price of its own popular PlayStation VR gear.
It did so by adding the required PlayStation Camera to a $399 bundle, starting from September 1. Another bundle including a pair of Move controllers will cost $449.

Sony has enjoyed something of an advantage in the space up until recently. Competitors Oculus and HTC had gear that was more expensive and had to be used with a decent PC setup. However, over time HTC cut the price of its Vive gear on multiple occasions, and Oculus recently followed suit with its own price cuts.

Additionally, the minimum specs also dropped meaning the Rift headset with Touch could work well with a lower priced PC. To take advantage of the PlayStation VR system, it is recommended that you own a PlayStation 4 Pro.

From Friday, the price cut for the bundles will take effect across the U.S. and Canada. The core PS VR bundle will include the PlayStation VR headset and PlayStation Camera for $399 USD (MSRP) / $499 CAD (MSRP), while the PlayStation VR Worlds bundle adds two PlayStation Move motion controllers and PlayStation VR Worlds for $449 USD (MSRP) / $579 CAD (MSRP).

Previous Next  

3 user comments

130.8.2017 11:41

I mean........you all do have to at least admit that VR is looking like it's seriously struggling to become relevant. Even tempering down (though I won't say dying out)

Price cuts, few apps and fewer games. Very very few reviews in general for both big boy systems so that indicates not a lot of marketshare yet.

Personally, while I love the VR technology, I just don't think it'll take off. Setting aside the software selection is dramatically lacking, no one wants to have a giant pair of goggles on their face for long periods of time. Plus people will sit on their asses for HOURS to avoid having to stand (unless of course the VR software requires standing or moving on feet)

I don't know......popularity has significantly dropped for VR in general. Articles are more scarce, talk of VR is way down and limited. Prices dropping meaning no one is buying.

Sad!

We'll revisit this in 3 years with another "I told you so" from yours truly.

Don't blame me........I'm just the messenger

230.8.2017 16:54

Somehow I sadly picture in 5 years as automated vehicles come into play, the driver side slaps a VR headset with an app that has the user pretend driving in a fantasy, sci-fi or hellish setting while vehicle is in motion. When real vehicle turns, the VR vehicle turns your point of view to look at various landscapes to a setting of the user choice.

330.8.2017 23:39

How about a car that drives itself and the steering wheel and pedals and shifter all become controls for a VR driving game? A morning commute in a minivan could become a F1 race! Or maybe just have the driving part of Grand Theft Auto? People will need something to do while not driving...and the controls are going to be there for a very long time if government agencies get their way (which they generally do).

Comments have been disabled for this article.

Latest news

VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads VLC hits milestone: over 5 billion downloads (16 Mar 2024 4:31)
VLC Media Player, the versatile video-software powerhouse, has achieved a remarkable feat: it has been downloaded over 5 billion times.
1 user comment
Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit Sideloading apps to Android gets easier, as Google settles its lawsuit (19 Dec 2023 11:09)
Google settled its lawsuit in September 2023, and one of the settlement terms was that the way applications are installed on Android from outside the Google Play Store must become simpler. In the future, installing APK files will be easier.
8 user comments
Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets Roomba Combo j7+ review - Clever trick allows robot vacuum finally to tackle home with rugs and carpets (06 Jun 2023 9:19)
Roomba Combo j7+ is the very first Roomba model to combine robot vacuum with mopping features. And Roomba Combo j7+ does all that with a very clever trick, which tackles the problem with mopping and carpets. But is it any good? We found out.
Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations Neato, the robot vacuum company, ends its operations (02 May 2023 3:38)
Neato Robotics has ceased its operations. American robot vacuum pioneer founded in 2005 has finally called it quits and company will cease its operations and sales. Only a skeleton crew will remain who will keep the servers running until 2028.
5 user comments
How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp How to Send Messages to Yourself on WhatsApp (20 Mar 2023 1:25)
The world's most popular messaging platform, Meta-owned WhatsApp has enabled sending messages to yourself. While at first, this might seem like an odd feature, it can be very useful in a lot of situations. ....
18 user comments

News archive