1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DVD-R or DVD+R help!!

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by SirNOS, Aug 8, 2004.

1. SirNOS

SirNOS Guest

I called my cousin and he says he has a Hewlett Packered dvd burner and he says it only says the brand name and "DVD RW" on the burner cover so which should I buy from the store today?? -R or +R??
    Thanks,
    nos

2. 2005

2005 Regular member

you need to find out which drive it is exactly... follow these steps

1. Go to control panel

2. Double click on the system icon

3. Go under the hardware tab, and click the device manager button.

4. Go to where it says DVD/CD drives and list what is under that section ( you might have to click a plus sign to see whats there )

5. Post that information here and we can then help you.

3. brobear

brobear Guest

SirNOS
    Once you know what model drive you have, go to the manufacturer's website and check the properties of the model listed. If nothing on yours there, they tend to delete older models, do a web search. Often there are old trials left on the net, which will give the specifications for drives. The other alternative is post the model number and wait on someone to give you the info.

Most of the newer drives will handle +R and -R equally well. -R records at a slower speed on some drives.
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small][bold]'brobear'[/bold]

[​IMG]

I was an earth-rim walker, a lurker at the threshold of the abyss. - Grendel -

[bold]Et tu, Brute![/bold][/small]

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2004
  4. zacker

zacker Guest

is it true that -R is the more (compatible) of the two when playing back on a home DVD player. I have an older RCA that I know has played "Burned" discs before.But im not sure what they were DVD-R, DVD+R, DVD R, DVD RW.... AHHHHHGGGGGG!
    lol
    thanks!
    -zacker-

5. SirNOS

SirNOS Guest

Hmmm well I bought a small pack of DVD-R discs from K-Mart. I'm pretty sure it was recently made. Don't you just quiver at the thought though that he got it for free and it was not even a special occasion! Anyways I'm going to his house on Tuesday so I'll try out the discs and find all of the info about it then..
    NOS

6. brobear

brobear Guest

Word has it that some of the older players would play -R and not +R. I have a Samsung that plays +R but will not play RW. Some of the new players will even play audio CD. You can throw in a pizza and it'll ask how you want it sliced; just kidding. The format varies on different players. The best thing to do is check for your individual model at the manufacturer website or by net search.

A family member got a player as a gift and it will play none of the recorded formats. One of the promo cheapies. Just to show how extreme the rang is, from no play to playing all.

zacker
    On the oldies, the choice is probably -R or +R and it may possibly play both.

7. michigan

michigan Guest

8. 2005

2005 Regular member

try the +'rs and good luck exchanging them, you open them so they wont take them back... you shouldve posted the model of the dvd drive on here and one of us couldve saved you ten dollars...

9. SirNOS

SirNOS Guest

Nah see I'm playing it smart. I haven't cut the tape to the box yet so I'm going to wait until I go to his house and find out for sure and if it only uses +R I'll keep the box sealed and exchange them.

10. chthomson

chthomson Regular member

If my memory serves me correct HP was one of the creators of the +R /+RW format.
    Up to now all their burners have been + burners - 100i / 200i / 300i / 400i and now the 420i the latest 8X burner is finally a +/- burner

I hope this helps

11. 2005

2005 Regular member

good job, for one please post the make and model of your drive, we can save you the trip to your cousins house.