1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

iuVCR and Driver Question / Problem

Discussion in 'Other video questions' started by SuperGood, Feb 27, 2002.

1. SuperGood

SuperGood Member

Hi,

To start, I have a ATI TV WONDER PCI (not VE), running on Windows XP Pro. I have an 850 mhz proccessor, 256MB ram, and a 60gb 7200RPM ata 100 hard drive.

First for my iuVCR problem:
    The audio and video are never in sync. And if you are thinking that it is off by a fixed rate, that is not true. For example, if I were to record a one hour tv show, and then try to watch it. During the play back, at the begining the audio/video may be off by just a little. However, the middle may be off by a full second or more, and the end may then again be off by another different amount. Basically it is different everywhere throughout the playback. I am recording NTSC (live in USA), so at 29.970 fps. However, whenever I open up the file in vdub, after capturing, I check the video - framerate option, and I notice that the framerate is always different, for every recording. Sometimes it is very close to 29.97, sometimes it is closer to 29, sometimes 30, sometimes 31. Yet during capture I almost never drop any frames, maybe 1 or 2 in the entire 1 hour capture. I don't understand whats going on. For those fimiliar with iuVCR I have ver. 4.0.0.200 (newest), with settings as follows normally YUY2 640x480 PICVideo MJPEG Codec at quality 19, 44100 16bit stereo PCM, and I have tried variations, capturing at less resolution, different codecs, different qualities, etc. And I have tried setting the master stream as audio and video. But whatever I try, the audio/video is not in snyc. Anyone got any ideas?

Second problem (driver):
    I have been told by many people to get rid of the ATI drivers and use the sourceforge universal ones. With these drivers I would be able to use vdub or other vfw capture progs at all resolutions. I decided to try it. However, I ran into a few problems. I downloaded the newest drivers, 5.2.2, and then, I rand setup and selected ati tv wonder, as my card, and philips mk2 ntsc, as my tuner. I ran the install, and it asked me to allow two drivers to be loaded, the video and audio drivers, then it said installation successful. I proceeded to restart my computer and, I noticed a couple of problems. First, as soon as I typed in my user/pass for winxp, and it began to log on, I could hear the audio of a tv channel through my speakers, even though no tv tuner program was running. Well I thought that I could run my tv program and it would just reset the audio. When I started my tv program, it did reset the audio, however, all I saw on my screen was blue flickering video. I could hear the audio that would be coming from those channels. I could change the channels just fine and the audio would turn correctly with it, but I could not see anything accept the blue flickering. I went to setup, and made sure it was NTSC and USA, which is where I am. I then tried using another program to make sure it wasn't just that software. I used that wdmutils, zip file from the website, but again same problem. I then opened up vdub, and used its capture program, and again I could hear the sound, but the video was a flickering blue screen. I tried installing your drivers again with a different tv tuner model, I tried all of the Philips, one by one, including the PAL ones. But everytime, same thing, audio, but flickering blue video. I understand that maybe it could be a tv tuner model other than philip, but, the channels work, and will go up and down, and the audio works. Also, in device manager, before I installed your drivers, i saw the entry "ATI TV Wonder TVTuner, Philips WDM TvTuner" Since I saw this, I assumed that the tv tuner model had to be a philips one. I even opened up my computer, and i looked on the card, and on the silver casing of the tv card, i saw "(MK2 PH)". I am not sure if this means mk2 philips as the model, but again I had already tried that and it still gave me the same problem. I checked the FAQ on the (btwincap.sourceforge.net) website, but it did not mention this type of problem. I don't know what to do.

If anyone could help me with either of these problems, I would greatly appreciate it. TIA.

2. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

For your sync problem:

You "drop" frames when you capture. Meaning that your HDD doesn't handle the data it is supposed to write to the disk and "misses" few frames every now and then, but the audio is recorded correctly --> this causes that video is slightly shorter than the audio. Only fix is to use capture software like AVI_IO (download it from our software section) which can fill these dropped frames with blank frames.

Always remember to defrag your HDD, never keep any other tools open when you capture and don't use any software compression -- these are the main reasons why your capture misses frames.

3. SuperGood

SuperGood Member

I will try using that other program. However, I would like to reiterate, by saying that I did not drop frames. First off, my hd is defraged, and I do not have any other progrz opened. I also watch the "info" screen on iuVCR carefully, and it always says "0" or maybe "1", for dropped frames, and I know 1 is not enough to make the sync off by that much. Also, if I am dropping frames, how can that account for different sync rates throughout the video. If my audio records like u say it does, then it should be a fixed rate. As I said in my post, the audio may be off by a lot to start and then only by a bit, and then maybe in sync, and then off again. It is completely random. Also, one final note. I have used virtualdub to capture before, and with it I usually see a "0" or a 1, or maybe a few more dropped frames. However, the audio is completely in sync. Also, Virtualdub is VFW based capture program and iuVCR is a WDM based program, and since I am using Win XP pro (which is a totally wdm based OS, which needs a wrapper (vfwwdm32.dll), to be able to run VFW capture programs, it takes a lot more CPU power. iuVCR uses less CPU power than Vdub, and if in Vdub, i am not loosing any frames, then I am not in iuVCR either. You may ask why not just use vdub then. Well in a different post I explained that with Vdub, and my ATI TV Wonder PCI, I cannot capture at 640x480, but with iuVCR I can. And incase you are thinking that is my problem, for capturing at too high a resolution, I have also used iuVCR at 320x240, and I still have NO dropped frames, but my audio/video is not synced. If anyone has any other suggestions please let me know. Thanks.

4. dRD

dRD I hate titles Staff Member

Sounds extremely weird :) Unfortunately (or maybe I should say fortunately after your post :) I don't have experience with iuVCR, but I suggest you explore what capture tools there are available and see if others perform better for you. And mail to iuVCR's author, he might be the guy to help you :)

5. Owsla

Owsla Member

Is it possible that you have the Divx5 codec installed? I just removed Sasami2k and the Divx5 codec from my friends machine today, who was experiencing similar problems. Reinstalled Sasami and registered the 3.11a codec, it works great now.