1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

0 loss in quality going from DVD (.vob) to .mpeg1 Guide & Question

Discussion in 'Convert DVD to another format' started by daverr111, Nov 11, 2004.

1. daverr111

daverr111 Guest

This is my first ever forum post so I guess I can wear my "newbie" with pride.

This could be a guide for some but I'm hoping it is a question for those with more experience than I have.

Here's what I'm doing:
    1) Smartripper to rip DVD's into .vob's
    2) DVD2AVI to convert .vob's into .d2v projects
    3) TMPGEnc to convert .d2v projects into .mpeg1
    4) TMPGEnc to cut & splice the .mpg's

Works great if you want 320x240 .mpg's but I want full resolution stuff and at that size the files are pretty good but still have more noise (visual "static", errant pixels) than the original DVD/.vob files had.

I like the .mpg format because it is so portable and easy to work with but I don't want to give up any resolution or quality from the original DVD.

I use TMPGEnc in it's highest quality (slowest encode) mode.

Any thoughts on how to go from a DVD or .vob file to an .mpeg1 file with NO loss in quality? Programs to use that would work better than the ones I'm trying, etc...?

Thanks

P.S. (The 320x240 file size is perfect for a PDA screen and you can put your favorite clips on a good size SD card for those long boring flights)

2. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

I don't believe you can do it without quality loss. IIRC MPEG-2 (like on a DVD) uses more accurate motion vector algorithms (in English that means the pixel positions are more accurate) so there will pretty much always be differences between the 2.

3. daverr111

daverr111 Guest

:-(

I was starting to suspect the answer was going to be something like that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I guess now I'm off to look into proggy's that will let me cut and splice .vob files and I'll just leave them native.

4. vurbal

vurbal Administrator Staff Member

If you just want to get the entire movie in a single file I'd recommend using DVD Shrink. Use Reauthor mode to make a movie-only backup (if you're looking for small files you can also remove the extra languages, credits, studio logo screens, etc) and then make sure file splitting is unchecked in the options. You can do most of this in SmartRipper (I don't think you can do the credits removal), but Shrink is a lot easier.

If you want a smaller filesize, you could also run them through DVD-RB after ripping the movie with Shrink (you'd need to spend $58 on CCE Basic) and then open those files with DVD Shrink again to save them as a single VOB using the method mentioned above. If you're going to do that, just make sure file splitting is enabled for the initial rip because DVD-RB won't work if the VOBs aren't split into 1GB chunks.