1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1 to 2 hours to burn a DVD.

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by Scarlet, Mar 12, 2005.

1. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Burning a movie DVD now takes between 1 and 2 hours, averaging about 1 1/2 hours. Before I began having this problem, burning took about 20 to 30 minutes.

I also notice that my icons take a while to all show up when I turn on my computer, and the Windows\Systems32 Director always pops up when I turn on the computer. It takes a little while for it to pop up, and I can't access any software until it appears. This may be unrelated, but it seemed to start happening about the same time that I began getting the 1 - 2 hour burning times.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I have a Dell 8400 computer with 1 Gig of memory.

2. chas0039

chas0039 Member

You might have some other things beyond my ability, but I always start by looking to see if I still have DMA enabled. For XP you go to the control panel, system, hardware, device manager, IDE, primary (or secondary), right click, properties, advanced settings, and enable DMA.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  3. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Thanks. the Device 0 was set to "DMA if available". Device 1 was set at "PIO only" I set it to "DMA if available".

Rebooted. Windows\System32 directory still came up. I burned a DVD -- took almost 2 hours.

Guess this wasn't the problem, but I thank you for trying.

4. andmerr

andmerr Guest

how often do you burn dvds.The reason i ask is that with that amount of data tat accumulates with dvd burning, there is a very slow build up of un used data on your system.The remedy may be this:

its time to do a defrag of the entire syetem.You will find that tool in your system tools.

5. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

I defragged. Still have the same long burning times. Thanks for trying.

BTW, I solved the problem of the System32 directory popping up when the computer is turned on. It was a problem with the Sound Blaster software by Creative. Creative has a patch -- got the patch from the Dell site. Patch file is: R75304.exe.

6. andmerr

andmerr Guest

well we are narrowing the list down.Have you recently done a check for spyware????

7. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

I have run Microsoft Antispyware -- clean. BTW, I defragged the computer 3 times -- had a lot of fragments. Didn't help with the burning time, but my CPU should run more efficiently now. :)

8. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

I tried something else that didn't work. I uninstalled Nero. Then removed all the directory. Then removed all files with the word "Nero" in them from the computer. I rebooted and reinstalled Nero.

Still takes well over an hour (closer to 2 hours) to burn a disk. :-(

9. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Trying to think of additions to add to this thread that may give someone a clue about how to fix my problem -- very slow DVD burning using Nero.

I use DVD Shrink -- it shrinks DVDs in about 15 minutes -- sometimes less, sometimes more. This has been consistent. Only burning is slow always at least an hour.

I'm using Nero 6. I was using the updated Nero (downloaded from the Nero website), before I uninstalled Nero and reinstalled it today -- but it wasn't any faster than Nero 6.

I'd go buy another burner if I thought it would make a difference -- I have no reason to think that my burner has gone bad -- it still makes good copies -- slowly, very slowly. This is really taking the fun out of burning DVDs.

10. andmerr

andmerr Guest

describe your computer stats?

11. zippyd

zippyd Active member

Are you describing just the burn process or the whole backup process? I agree with andmerr, we need to know your PC specs.....

instead of setting the device to DMA if available, try uninstalling it in the device manager and then reboot. Windows should put it back in DMA when it recognizes it after the reboot.

In some extreme cases I've seen that people have had to uninstall the whole IDE controller in Device Manager and reboot in order to get the drive back in DMA

Last edited: Mar 16, 2005
  12. Scarlet

Scarlet Member

Okay, I tried enough things that I'm not sure now, for sure what did the trick, but I just burned a DVD in 15 minutes! Hooray!

Per zippyd's instructions, I uninstalled the IDE Controller.

I had the computer search for a new driver for the DVD burner -- but it seemed to be unsuccessful.

I turned off all of the firewalls, virus protection, and spyware dectectors.

I rebooted.

My guess -- the uninstalling the IDE Controller did the trick.

Wow! I'm so happy. Thanks to everyone! Afterdawn is the greatest -- so thankful for this forum.

13. zippyd

zippyd Active member

I told you to do both(in sequence) and it would do the trick.....

But glad you got it going.... ;)

14. swtrader

swtrader Member

Thanks everyone!

Just had the same problem on my DELL 8400, saved me having to figure it out!

15. swtrader

swtrader Member

Acutally I was wrong still have the problem. Take 1 1/2 hours to burn a 4x DVD on a BENQ 1620 using a Dell 8400. Don't know if it matters but I also have a ATA drive on the same IDE ribbon.

Strange this is it looked normal at first but part of the way through the buffer drops to 50% usage from 100%.

Any ideas?