1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

100% Cpu usage HELP

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ilisapeci, Aug 22, 2004.

1. ilisapeci

ilisapeci Member

Hi

I dont know whats wrong with my computer my cpu usage seems to be on 100% all the time. i know thats bad and I dont want to wreck my computer with over heating or anything. I got rid of a soundman.exe file that was on my taskmanager which droped it down for a while but I think I have another trojan. How do I take a screen shot of my wondows task manager.

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

To take a screenshot, open Task Manager, then hit ATL and PRT SCN at the same time, then paste into a program like MS Paint.

Have a look in Task Mananger and see what is running, and look at what is using a high percentage and take a note.

CJC

3. Xian

Xian Regular member

Are you noticing any slowness when the CPU is at 100%? I have seen several older 16 bit programs that give false readings in the Task Manager. WRQ's Reflections 16 bit version used to do that. The Task Manager would say 100% CPU usage but it reality it was nowhere close to that. If it was really 100% CPU usage you would notice right away that everything was sluggish or not responding. As CJC said, check out what's running. You can click in the column header to sort by usage too in the Task Manager.

4. rupert9

rupert9 Member

It sounds like you have a worm (probably adware). Specifically the W32/Agobot-KH, which plants itself into the registry and attaches to that file in order to open on bootup. Here is a link if you want more info (be sure to click on the description and recovery tabs also).

http://www.sophos.com/virusinfo/analyses/w32agobotkh.html

You may also want to consider downloading spybot (free) or buying some sort of spyware to periodically check your system. I usually run both spybot and adaware every month or so (I use two because individually they don't catch them all). Hope this helps.