1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080p on regular 360 or just elite?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by andro1d, Jun 6, 2007.

1. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

I just recently bought a 1080p HDTV so I'm wondering if anybody knows if regular 360 does 1080p or just the elite? A friend of mine said he thinks just the elite does. But on regular 360 there's an option in the display settings for 1080p which is what's confusing me.

2. catsee

catsee Guest

i got this answer hhaahahh the elite it a total wast of money,120 hdd for what? i have the 20 and still 13gb left unless u download them crappy movies its a waste. i know people on craigslist who will paint the 360 black or whatever color for 20 bucks if u love colors so much. now lets attack the BS 1080P HDMI, Again total waste of money the only system that goes 1080 p is sony ps3 blue ray, the 360 can go up to 1080p but guess what there are no 360 games that can convert to 1080p and the dvd hd add on only goes to 720p. i got all this info from bestbuy n micro tech support. also if u ever call micro and say u r thinking about buying the 360 they try there hardest to wow u with 1080p crap to get u to buy the elite is a great idea but waste of money

3. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

Yah I just read somewhere that 1080p should work through my component cables as long as the tv accepts it through the cables and not just hdmi, it's a brand new model samsung tv so I suppose it should. So I guess there's not one game out that's 1080p eh? Hopefully COD4 will be.

4. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

You got some bad info there. There are games in 1080p.

- Shadowrun
    - Pirates of the Caribbean
    - Command & Conquer 3
    - Bullet Witch
    - TMNT
    - Spider-Man 3
    - Lost Planet: Extreme Condition
    - Guitar Hero 2

And I'm sure there are more. Plus, it'd be safe to assume that many upcoming releases will also be 1080p.

As for the hd-dvd, it'll also output 1080p. This is right from Best Buy's site: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8132095&type=product&id=1158321865239
    And a quick quote right from Xbox.com: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/hardware/x/xbox360hddvdplayer/understandinghddvdresolutions.htm

5. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

Cool thanks for the info

Are you able to confirm if 1080p does in fact run through the component cables?

6. BurningAs

BurningAs Regular member

to add:
    Virtual Tennis 3.

7. clintp

clintp Member

on a further note to this, you can only get 1080P for HDDVD through the VGA cable, due to some bizarre licensing law
    games will work in 1080P, and another one that everyone is missing is splinter cell double agent, which was the first one with 1080P

8. andro1d

andro1d Regular member

And another thing, if you are able to do 1080p through the component cables then what the hell's the point of elite having an hdmi cable? Or is that benefit because the sound will also be "hi def"?

9. steimy

steimy Active member

The HDMI cable is a full digital cable carrying both sound and picture. It is, right now, the top of the food chain as far as connections you can get for just about any game system or HDTV device. And it does have a slight advantage in picture quality over component cables. Plus you have just one cable instead of 5 like the component cables.

My humble opinion is to save your money, get the regular premium package and upgrade by getting the VGA cable. Most normal people will not see a huge difference between HDMI and VGA picture quality.

I just upgraded my satellite to HDMI HD service, and to tell you the truth it is nice. But it is not some huge, knock you out of your socks difference like they would lead you to believe. And the TV is the top of the line right now, a 56" DLP so if your going to see a difference you should on a TV like that.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  10. bhetrick

bhetrick Active member

I agree with what steimy said about the vga cable. Switching from the component to the vga made a very noticable difference on my 42" plasma. The only drawback (at the time) was the colors weren't as vibrant.

I picked up an Elite at midnight when they first came out. The hdmi did make up a difference. The colors were nice and bright. But it had the 79fk drive so I returned it.

Included in the MS spring update was a fix for the vga "washout". It made a big difference. I'm more than happy now with the vga.

Also, I'm pretty sure you do need the vga to get the 1080p.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2007
  11. 360OwNeR

360OwNeR Member

hdmi is better than component becuase its uncompressed video and sound. let me tell you that only experts can really tell the difference.

hdmi is also neater (only one cable)

the regular 360 can go to 1080p.

Also, the PS3 has a lot of games that arent 1080p compatible

example on of the first ones - Motorstorm (max 720p)

hope this helped