1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080p upconverting dvd playback problems.

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by sbryant5, Feb 11, 2008.

1. sbryant5

sbryant5 Member

Hello,

This is my first post in these forums so if I am posting this in the wrong place, i apologize.

I have read through these forums for about 2 hours now and I can not find anything that really explains the playback problems that I am trying to troubleshoot.

I recently purchased a new LCD Television (Philips 47"), and have now tried 2 different upconverting dvd players (1st one - Pioneer DV-400V-K and my current one, Samsung DVD-1080P7)with the same results.

I have only had this setup for about 2 weeks and I have tried playing dvd backups which are mostly on Taiyo Yuden DVD-R's on both players with 1080p upconversion. Some of the backups play with no problems but when watching many of them, I am having horizontal lines on the screen which move from bottom to top slowly (Pioneer only) or blocky, large pixellation and audio sync issues (Samsung issues). On the Pioneer model, I could change the output to 1080i, and it would fix this issue.

Here is where thing get wierd.. I have a friend who has the exact same Pioneer DVD player and the exact same Philips 47" television. I took my dvd player to his house with a burned DVD-R with a DivX which had gave me problems and another DVD-R movie. While watching the discs at his house on my DVD player, there was no pixellation or audio issues. So this would make one think that my television was the problem. I came home, boxed up the tv and took it back and exchanged for another one of the same model. I got it home, unpacked and hooked up to the DVD player only to find the same exact problems I had before. So this made me feel that I did did have a faulty DVD player after all. I returned it and purchased the Samsung player. With the Samsung, I still have the same problems which do not go away when changing the output to 1080i.

So this brings me to my question. Since the problem does not occur on all of my dvd-r backups, what could be causing this problem? My only guess would maybe be encoding compression issues, but the fact that the player didn't have issues at my friend's house still puzzles me. I plan on lending him a couple of backups for full viewing on his player just to make sure that he does not have any problems as I only spent about 45 minutes at his house when testing my dvd player.

If anyone has had any similar problems such as this and have found a solution or an answer, PLEASE help with a reply. This is really frustrating to think that I can not watch my backups on my new setup.

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

From out of left field, but is there a large magnet by your dvdplayer/tv as in a speaker(s). If so move it as this may help.
    Also try hooking everything through a power conditioner.
    Post back if you find an answer or not.

3. sbryant5

sbryant5 Member

I have a center channel speaker that sits above all of my other components (DirecTV HD DVD, PS2, Samsung DVD, and Pioneer Receiver). I have removed this speaker from the shelf and even tried disconnecting it entirely and moving it across the room. There is also a JBL sub that sits underneath all of the components which I have not tried moving.

Are magnetic fields a common interference problem with DVD players or any other components?