1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1080p vs 720p

Discussion in 'Televisions' started by nem3sis__, Nov 4, 2007.

1. nem3sis__

nem3sis__ Member

Hey guys, I have a question. I'm thinking about buying an LCD for our living room, and he has already decided for Sony's KDL-40X3500 (1920x1080). However, I read a recent review of such displays, and it absolutely assures that at about 3 metres away from the display, one doesn't tell the difference between 720p and 1080p. Is this true? The magazine I read it in is very reliable. However, it also says that VGA has better image quality than DVI, what is kinda weird for me.

Any help? Should I go with a display with 768 lines instead? I don't want to waste €1000 for nothing...

2. Pop_Smith

Pop_Smith Regular member

I really don't see why the said you can't tell the difference of 720p and 1080p. With an additional 360 lines in the picture I am sure you could see a difference. VGA vs DVI? Well DVI is, as far as I know, basically a digital version of VGA.

I would go with the 1080p display if you have the money. However, one other thing you can do is drive down to your local store (such as Circuit City) and ask to see there TV section.

Find two TVs that are similar except one is 720p and the other is 1080p. Ask a salesman to show you if you can't find one and even if you can have them prove to you that the TVs are indeed displaying HD pictures.

If you can tell a difference between the 720p and 1080p picture then pick out which one you think looks better.

3. batdude1

batdude1 Member

OK, I am pretty sure there are no Circuit City's around you since your currency is not dollars. However, my advice, get a 1080p tv, you won't always be 3 meters away, and a 720p tv won't do anything for HD DVD or Blue Ray. I have never heard of that Sony model, so I am going to assume it is not sold in the US, therefore I don't have any advice on that particular tv.

4. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Time to do some homework newbie. My Toshiba HD-A3 720p/1080i HD DVD Player delivers stunning video on my 42" Panasonic Plasma at 720p.

5. batdude1

batdude1 Member

But if you only have a 720p tv, you could get an upconverting dvd player for a third the price. Which would actually upconvert a dvd better than the HDA3.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Wrong again. No upconversion will ever look as good as HD-DVD's native 720p output. That has to be one of the most naive statements I've ever heard. And when it comes to upconverting standard DVD the A3 is one of the best.

You should go spew your misinformation elsewhere.

7. ThanatosX

ThanatosX Guest

Wrong again pretty much many of you don't read or pay attention before you post.

Below a 50 inch tv you're going to be EXTREMELY hard pressed to notice the difference between 1080P and 720P. The bigger your tv the more of a difference it makes. I have a 42 inch 720P, why? Because when you shove it next to a 42 inch 1080P the only difference is the +500$ on the price tag. If You were going for a 47" or 52" or anything higher, I would suggest 1080P since it will make a good chunk of difference. Other than that don't bother.

Also it depends on what you want to do with the tv. PS3 games CAN Go up to 1080P but generally stay at 720P (only lair uses 1080P atm I think). If you're using it for a monitor. Well 1080i works just fine on your smaller screens. I would get 1080P if you have a large screen to use as your monitor since theres a good difference between interlaced and progressive. And to play hd-dvds or blue ray movies you are again going to be hard pressed to notice a difference in the two.

As was suggested before go to the nearest big name tv store, grab a couple models that are the same size by good name brands with the SAME specifications (contrast ratio etc) they're be a little different but basicaly dont compare a cheap 800:1 contrast ratio 720P with a 7000:1 name brand 1080P the difference in contrast alone will blow your mind.

Hope this somewhat helped.

8. tddk

tddk Member

No offense, but you wasted a bunch of money buying a hd dvd player for your 720p 42incher. You stand about what, 6-10 feet away, right? (2-3 meters for our friends across the sea) You wouldnt know the difference between an upconverting and an hd dvdplayer and down converting it at 720p, instead of its native 1080p. You are wasting hd dvd media if you are just using it on 720p, it is native 1080P.

Hd dvd media is native 1080p format, lol where do you get 720p native. You are down converting to play it on your tv genius!

"Video

The HD DVD format supports a wide variety of resolutions, from low-resolution CIF and SDTV, all video resolutions supported by the DVD-Video standard, and up to HDTV formats such as 720p, 1080i and 1080p.[44] HD DVD supports video encoded in MPEG2 which is what is used in DVDs as well as the new formats VC-1 and AVC which are more efficient. All movie titles released so far have had the feature encoded in 1080p, with most supplements in 480i or 480p. Almost all titles are encoded with VC-1, and most of the remaining titles encoded with AVC."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HD_DVD

One of my friends has an upconverting dvd player and it looks just as good as his xbox 360 playing an hd dvd on the same tv because he only has 720p.

To look through mr. negative up there as usual in every thread he posts in, and address the real question...

I would say purchase a 1080P television as long as it isnt too far out of your budget. You can only tell the difference between a 720p television and a 1080p television if you have a true 1080p source connected. However bluray or hd dvd's are a waste if you are going to be connecting them to a 720p hdtv, because you will be down converting them. So if you plan on using hd dvd's or bluray, then you would want to get the 1080p tv as that tv will play them in their native format.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  9. shadow270

shadow270 Guest

i have a 720p 42 inch philips in my room and i have a ps3 conceted via HDMI...

my dad has a 1080p lg in the livin room( same size)..and wen i conncet my ps3 i really couldnt tell any diffrence in the screen quality..

10. club42

club42 Regular member

Go look in the avs forums at some screenshots of up converted vs 720p. I sit 9ft from my tv and can tell a huge difference between 720p and an up converted dvd. When I get a projector I will go for 1080p since the screen size will be 100in or better. After watching 50+ HD-DVD's I am starting to have trouble watching SD up converted dvd's.

11. MysticE

MysticE Active member

It's nice ain't it?

Well I guess I should throw out my Toshiba HD-A3 ($200 with 9 movies) as it's only 720p/1080i. It auto-senses and set the output to 720p.