1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16:9 SVCD impossible?

Discussion in 'MPEG-1 and MPEG-2 encoding (AVI to DVD)' started by flobbo, Mar 3, 2003.

1. flobbo

flobbo Member

hello all!

I got a huge problem encoding my 16:9 prograssive source material into a 16:9 SVCD. no matter what settings I use in TmpgEnc I end up with a jumpy wiggly picture on my wide screen TV. It is horrible I really don't know what to do.

2. sc00ter

sc00ter Guest

When encoding with TmpgEnc go to settings and make sure to keep the source aspect ratio at 1:1 and use the advanced tab to set your video arrange method to Full Screen (keep aspect ratio 2). This will give you a widescreen version svcd but it will have borders on any widescreen tv. The only other way to do it is to change the source to 16:9, this will get rid of the borders and give you a great full screen 16:9 picture but is only compatible with certain players.

3. flobbo

flobbo Member

So if my video is all jumpy and wiggles from left to right on my TV it is a player incompatiblity issue? 100% sure?

4. VCDjunkie

VCDjunkie Moderator Staff Member

1. does it playback normal on your pc?
    2. have you tried to do what sc00ter said?

5. sc00ter

sc00ter Guest

100% sure. My DVD player will play them ok (Naiko 2081) but both my friends wont (Dansai 1010)One has a 28' normal tv the other a widescreen tv but both have the same symptoms when playing the svcd. It is just a rather jumpy picture and changing settings doesnt help.

6. Dela

Dela Administrator Staff Member

What you burn the SVCD with?

7. sc00ter

sc00ter Guest

I use nero to burn them

8. Dela

9. sc00ter

sc00ter Guest

I burn at 48 speed using nero and never had any problems. Why do you only burn at 4x?. Is there a specific reason for this?. I dont see what the problems of higher burning speeds are.

10. flobbo

flobbo Member

Burning at slower speeds doesn't have any benefits. If you don't have a sloppy cheap cd writer you can burn your vcds at 40x or whatever. I have never had a single problem burning at that speed.

11. Dela

The recommendation for vcd and audio is 4x, you find with a lot of dvd players and burners, it solves lots of playback problems!

12. sc00ter

sc00ter Guest

If I remember from a while ago 2x and 4x were recommended before Burnproof was introduced and when burners were slower because the computer caused a bottleneck when sending information to them causing stuttering. But with the introduction of 52x burners and larger buffer cache these problems go away. I always remember an article that stated the best thing to do to get a good audio, vcd, or data burn was to use a computer of around P300 with 64M and a burn speed of 2x-4x, This is from about 4-5 years ago during my Playstation backup days (I had a P300 celeron and a 4x burner)

13. Shoey

Shoey Guest

flobbo,
    You said this: Burning at slower speeds doesn't have any benefits. If you don't have a sloppy cheap cd writer you can burn your vcds at 40x or whatever. I have never had a single problem burning at that speed.
    Burning VCD/SVCD at high speeds= DANGEROUS (the girl is soo dangerous). Anyways, many home dvd palyers& dvd roms CAN'T read VCD/SVCD burned at high speeds resulting in "pixelation" playback problems. It is recommended by experts to burn NO faster than 1/4th of your total burners write speed (CD-R/W). It has nothing to do with a "generic" burner as well. If you wanna live "on the edge" burning VCD/SVCD at high burning speeds, don't say you've been warned, lol. Best write speed for VCD/SVCD is 4x, Safe write speed for burning VCD/SVCD 8x. Anything above this I don't personally recommend, nor does the author of the great program Eazy VCD (ChickenMan).
    Eazy VCD: http://members.eezi.net.au/~phatjeff/
    ChickenMans tutorials, courtesy CD-Freaks:
    http://forum.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=66&s=64e122d93923c6fff81a0d440ba989dd

Shoey

Shoey

14. Dela

Basically, as a rule, lower speed burning is better than faster speed! Don't get me wrong i'd love to be burning all my cd's at 48x, it would take so little time compared to 4x but I'm just used to 4x now. Read around the forum and you will see the amount of questions that go something like this..

Q: After I burn my VCD, I get a jumpy and heavily pixelated playback on my stand alone, how can I fix this??

A: Try to use good media and burn no less than 4x

R: I burned at 4x and it played back perfectly, thanx :)

lol, well they go something like that. Not many of them nowadays and thats not because cd-writers are mosr "advanced" its beause people are actually using the search function on aD! =)

15. flobbo

flobbo Member

I actually started this thread to find out if 16:9 encoding was possible with SVCDs. Now I know it is but my dvd player doesn't support it. Tough luck.
    To all the slow burners out there:
    What's the use of having a 40x writer if you gotta continue to write in 4x to make cds work?
    I burn everything at max speed which is 40x and I get GREAT vcd/svcd playback on my dvd player as well as great data cds. I have not had one single cd fail since I got my 40x writer.
    And if there should be a vcd that has poor playback one day then so be it. Throw it in the garbage and grab a new cd. Max speed burning rocks. That's my 2 cents.

16. Dela

perhaps but unfortunately a lot of people have playback problems with high speed burned (s)vcd's.

17. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Look underneath this post. I have a Polaroid BurnMAX48x speed cd burner. If I followed your theory I would also encounter "possible" playback problems backing up SecuROM 4.8.x as it is recommended to read/write the image at 8x (sub-q),or some other cd protection. Again, the issue isn't how fast can I burn, it's "what burn speed is safe to burn a particlar format". Besides, whats the rush after all that encoding time? Dela(James) provided a link, did he answer your question 16:9? I provided a link to 1 of ChickenMans tutorials, did that help?

Shoey

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2003
  18. Dela

Shoey...

D E L A are the first four letters of my last name, also my first name is JAMES. If ya dont mind changing the she to a he i would be grateful!

19. Shoey

Shoey Guest

Thread edited James, lol

Shoey

20. Dela

I'm gonna start a thread in the safety valve stating that!! thats about 20 people who have made that mistake! lol