1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16 bit windows subsystem error

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by conan6972, Oct 18, 2004.

1. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

C:\Program Files\Windows AdControl\WinAdCtl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows AdControl\WinAdAlt.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows AdControl] C:\Program Files\Windows AdControl\WinAdCtl.exe

Just make sure you uninstall and then Go into Program Files and delete the folder.

Apart from that it looks ok.

CJC

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

also check in msconfig/startup to see if in there

3. CJC

CJC Regular member

You will need to boot into SafeMode to delete the WinAdControl folder, (F5 when the computer is booting)

Make sure u tick the three i said below.

If you tick then and remove, which should also remove from msconfig.

But you can double check by clicking Start-> Run and typing msconfig then selecting the startup tab.

CJC

4. brettmw

brettmw Guest

Thanks guys, i was seeking a solution to the problem Found in this thread, low and behold i copied the autoexec.nt file from windows repair folder and placed it in my windows /sytem32 folder and BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thankyou thankyou thankyou,,, its sad that microsoft makes these things happen but at least we can help each other out to find the solutions.

5. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

at least your problem is resolved, teach & learn

6. Longobord

Longobord Guest

Hi all, Thanks for your help, especially CJC, Diamond Geezer.

TWo questions re: the fix for 16 bit subsytem errors

When you say put in the windows xp disc in the drive, when it autoruns and presents the menu, what selection should I make?

and,

My CD Drive is labelled F: so I take it I use F: within the expand entry lines, however when I hit ENTER I get the message 'invalid filepath' each time.
    Is this normal?

Many thanks,

Longobordo
    Is the surf up yet????

7. sodie88

sodie88 Guest

I have tried to find the Windows Repair folder but can't locate it. Why don't I have that folder?

Thanks!

8. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

@Longobord

When the AutoRun menu comes up, just Exit from it

If your Drive letter is F:

Click on start, then go to Run.. now time in CMD

Now it should bring up a black box with something like C:\Documents and Settings\Username\>

Now u have to make sure your windows XP disc is in there

expand F:\i386\config.nt_ c:\windows\system32\config.nt
    (PRESS ENTER)
    expand F:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
    (PRESS ENTER)
    expand F:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
    (PRESS ENTER)
    exit
    (PRESS ENTER)

@soddie88
    Im not sure why you dont have a Repair folder, but if your trying to fix this error, you done need it, just XP cd.

9. brettmw

brettmw Guest

Select start, then run. Type this in, C:\windows\repair

That should find it, if not use the other suggested method for getting it from the cd.

10. Longobord

Longobord Guest

Thanks CJC, tried your suggestion, no joy. I get an 'invalid filepath' message after I hit ENTER on each expand line, is this normal?

Regards,

Longobordo
    Is the surf up yet???

11. CJC

CJC Regular member

Hey

You shouldnt get that error if you have an original XP cd and its in F:

Also make sure that you are typing it word for word, making sure the first filename has the _ at the end

Also, your windows folder might be WINNT instead of windows, so you might have to type eg

expand F:\i386\config.nt_ c:\WINNT\system32\config.nt

CJC

12. harmeek

harmeek Member

Hi i am having a problem with the 16 bit windows susytem error, i have read all the posts,my current situation is, i got the 16 bit windows subsystem error everytime i tried to install a old game, and then i copy and pasted the autoexec.nt file from repair to system 32 as u suggested,by doing this, it allowed me to install my game, but everytime i load the game it just reboots the pc.I dun the first step from 1-5 from the microsoft site, it never made a difference, i am trying the other steps, but can someone help me by explaining wot i do for the following steps:
    14. Start Windows Explorer. Locate the Config.nt file, right-click the Config.nt file, and then click Copy.
    15. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.
    16. Locate the Autoexec.nt file, right-click the Autoexec.nt file, and then click Copy.
    17. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste.
    18. Locate the Command.com file, right-click the expanded Command.com file, and then click Copy.
    19. Right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%\System32 folder, and then click Paste. Restart your computer
    *at step 14 do i copy and paste the config.nt file i just saved on notepad?, and on step
    *15,wot is the system root file?, do i just copy and paste it to the system 32 folder located in windows?
    *step 18, how do i expand command.com , and copy the expanded file? do i expand it through cmd like it says on step 4?if i do where do i find it if i want to copy and paste it....

13. harmeek

harmeek Member

also when i tried to unistall the game i just installed, it says the unistallation file is corrupted and says it will not continue.

14. CJC

CJC Regular member

@harmeek

Have you tried putting your XP CD in your CD-ROM drive and typing

Click on start, then go to Run.. now time in CMD

Now it should bring up a black box with something like C:\Documents and Settings\Username\>

Now u have to make sure your windows XP disc is in there

(PRESS ENTER)
    expand F:\i386\autoexec.nt_ c:\windows\system32\autoexec.nt
    (PRESS ENTER)
    expand F:\i386\command.co_ c:\windows\system32\command.com
    (PRESS ENTER)
    exit
    (PRESS ENTER)

CJC

15. harmeek

harmeek Member

Yes i done that already, and i have also checked my computer for viruses(none), and i used ad aware everyday delete spyware daily... Also i installed warcraft III,and it doesnt work , the launch screen just freezes, but i can delete that.

If i inserted my window xp cd and installed it, would i lose any of my douments saved on the computeR?

16. CJC

CJC Regular member

You can 'Reload' windows by putting the CD in and making sure you dont select New Installation at all.

Without loosing any of your data.

CJC

17. harmeek

harmeek Member

thnx for the help, buti just downloaded the new windows update and that fixed the problem

18. tegsy

tegsy Guest

Please can someone help? I am also having the 16 bit windows subsytem error c:\windows\system32\auto exec.nt and getting the message 'The system file is not suitable for running MS-DOS' etc.... I am getting this message when I go into add/removed files to delete a program I no longer require. I have tried to insert my windows xp disc and type cmd etc...everytime I press ENTER though after each command I get a message saying windows cannot open this file, do I want to use the webservice to find the file or select the program from the list?? also when continueing with the steps on the microsoft support page, (step 15) which says 'right-click the %SYSTEMROOT%/system32 folder' I cant seem to find it, can anyone help??? please!!!

19. CJC

CJC Regular member

hey

clicking start-> run-> then just typing CMD should open the command prompt up.

Ok what they mean is open up C:\Windows\System32 or C:\WINNT\System32 (%systemroot%=Windows folder)

CJC

20. tegsy

tegsy Guest

Many thanks for your reply CJC, typing CMD does bring up the command prompt like you say, but when I type in what you sugguest, everytime I press ENTER after each command it says that it cannot open the file do I want to use the webservice or select from the list, is this supposed to happen? I have just ignored this anyway and continued to follow the steps from microsoft and right clicked on the Config.nt file and the Autoexec.nt file (which I set up earlier in notepad)and pasted it in the system32 folder but then the microsoft support says 'right click the expanded Command.com file', any ideas where I find that? I'm a bit confused??? Many thanks