1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16x Burn Speed

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by cheezzzz, Apr 8, 2005.

1. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

I just got a new computer with a 16x burner. Anyone having playback problems with movies burned at this speed? I have heard at one time that burning with great speeds causes a lot of errors. Need your feedback on this before I start wasting disks. TIA

2. babelfish

babelfish Regular member

very few people here burn at greater than 4x

the disks may work ok for a while but will be unreadable soon..

16x is just a marketting gimick at the moment...

(ps - the search feature is very useful - you would have found 400+ threads telling you this)

3. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

cheezzzz

The difference between 16X and 8X for example is usually around 2 minutes of burn time and not worth it. Try a burn at 8X if you are into speed and then do a disk scan with nero or DVDInfoPro and check for errors.

I burn at 8X with 16X media and my burns are fine. :)

4. cheezzzz

cheezzzz Regular member

Thanx ScubaBud. Will take your advice on this.

cheezzzz

5. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

Don't take scuba buds advice. it's always wrong. Now here is some good advice,

The difference between 16X and 8X for example is usually around 2 minutes of burn time and not worth it. Try a burn at 8X if you are into speed and then do a disk scan with Nero or DVDInfoPro and check for errors

LMAO!!!!

Very good advice indeed ;-)

6. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

cheezzzz

Remember how your folks use to warn you to stay away from strangers?

Psst… It might be a good idea to heed their warning when you’re approached by bbmayo!

Sometimes things happen when you become an aD Addict, first you develop too much time on your hands, then you produce tremendous guides located at http://home.comcast.net/~bbmayo/index.html for other’ to use, but the worst is you’ll start to give random advice on threads that agree with meager Senior Members without even realizing it. Actually I think that he may be an undercover agent for BlockBuster!
    <G>

[bold]Good luck with your burns![/bold] :)

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Personally, I prefer quality over speed. 4x does the trick for me everytime. There are many who will mislead you on many subjects here, the last 2 posts prove that!! LMAO.

Seriously, the guys here are great & will always try to help as much as possible.

Pulsar

8. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Except for BBmayo & scubabud, they are in cahoots with every law enforcement agency going. It is them who started the "Blockbuster chip" rumour. I think they should be banned!! LOL!!

Pulsar

9. cougar_ii

cougar_ii Regular member

Hi,

I burn at 2x, nothing else.

Yep, takes 30 minutes to burn, and all my media CHEAP or GOOD all work on all the DVD Players in the house !

10. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

cheezzzz

Another word of advice if I may… Pulsar is one of those brainy guys that live in the UK and holds a Mechanical Engineering Degree so when you ask him what time is it, he'll tell you how the watch is built instead. Ask him what speed to burn at and he’ll come back with some formula based on the air temp, dust coefficient and color of your carpet before you get an answer. I would have to agree that 4X is the recommend burn speed by most here on aD, but remember what I said about some of those Addicts here!!! <G>

11. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

This thread is what makes AD such a great place to be :D

I'll weigh in on the topic as well. I'm one of the stodgy fellows that still burns at 2-2.4X. I've done plenty of testing at 8X with the best media available and was sorely disappointed with the results. I don't mind taking the time to ensure that my copies are the best possible.

There really is no universal "best burn speed". I say do a good bit of testing to find out the fastest burn speed your system will allow while giving consistent and reliable results :)

12. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

13. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hello cheezzzz:

[bold]WORD FOR TODAY IS "LEGS". NOW GO AND SPREAD THE WORD!!
    [/bold] That's a pretty sweet line in your signature!!! Very Hot!!

I am the usual average 4x speed man. Cougar_ii pretty well explained the reason: [bold]all work on all the DVD Players in the house ![/bold]
    That's the main thing.

14. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Scubabud, ROTFLMAO!! Nice one. I still prefer 4x like most, 15mins max burn time! Dependant on the humidity, ambient temperature, barometric pressure, coefficient of thermal linear expansion & of course the density of the nearest neutron star!

Pulsar

PS, I am a postman BTW!! Ex-Mech Engineer, only taught to HNC level, not degree!!

Last edited: Apr 8, 2005
  15. flip218

flip218 Moderator Staff Member

Nephilim your a jerk!!! LOL :)

16. bbmayo

bbmayo Active member

How wrong you are again!! Your not meager just insugnificant in the whole realm of AD... muhamuhamuhamuha!!!!

OK we was just messin around cheezzzz so just ignor us. Keep the speed to x4 and all will be good in your world. :)

Truce Scubabud :)