1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

16X DVD+R Media Question

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by RobertSB, Feb 22, 2005.

1. RobertSB

RobertSB Member

My brother recently purchased a Dell Dimesion 8400 desktop which came with a Philips DVD8601 16X DVD+R/RW which turns out to be a +R only burner. I can't find any info on media compatability with this drive. I initialy recommended Taiyo Yuden 8X DVD+R but am not sure if it will burn @12X on this drive (would like to achieve 12X at least). Has anyone used the Ritek 16X DVD+R media? I figured Ritek 16X would have to burn at least 12X but am concerned about recomending 16X media which I have not used. If anyone has this drive and can tell me if TY's burn @12X or any experience w/ the 16X Ritek's it would be greatly appreciated!!!

2. dumbfuker

dumbfuker Member

I'm afraid I can't give any specifc information about that particular drive but I will offer a general comment, just for what it's worth. A lot of people will recommend burning no faster than 4x, and I tend to follow that advice myself. That being said, I've experimented a bit with speeds up to 12x (Sony media I believe....don't recall the media code) with no problems. You may think me overly cautious, but the few extra minutes it takes to burn at 4x is no big deal for me.

Regards,

DF

Last edited: Feb 23, 2005
  3. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

Hey robertsB, some of the 8x media will allow me to burn up to 12x and 16x. Sony + 1-8x media,both japanese,"ty" and taiwanese,"sony d11".

I can get 12x out of verbatim datalife plus +8x. Many other members also reporting their firmware allowing these speeds from this same media.

I usually burn at 4x.Some stand alone players will not read your backups if the burn speed was too fast.

4. SethG

SethG Member

How do you burn at a speed higher than the rating though? Nero and DVD decrypter both won't.

5. nwfcs1

nwfcs1 Guest

I purchased Ritek RiData DVD+R 16x media and have had no issues so far. I am using a BenQ DW1620 externally connected via USB2.0 and achive 12x burns using DVD Decrypter and/or DVD Shrink. The good part is you can purchase the media for .45 to .50 per disk (in bluk)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2005
  6. SethG

SethG Member

What software are you using to burn it?

7. DogBomb

DogBomb Regular member

Some media will burn at speeds higher than the certified speeds they are sold as - i.e., Verbatim 8X will burn at 12X, Ridata 4X will burn at 8X. Usually, it's only with the better media like Taiyo Yuden, but it really depends on your burner. There are firmware hacks out there too, but anything higher than the rated speed is at your own risk.
    To the owner of the Philips, http://www.videohelp.com/dvdwriters.php?DVDnameid=704&Search=Search&list=2#comments

8. saugmon

saugmon Senior member

I just ran into a spindle of maxell +8x.I didn't even know I had them because they were mixed in with my maxell +4x spindles. Those will let me burn at 12x.
    Media code: maxell-002-00

9. SethG

SethG Member

But basically the only way to burn the 16X Ridata's at 8X is to have hacked firmware?

10. mrchub

mrchub Regular member

In my experience using both a Plextor 16x and Sony 16x burner, I've gotten great results burning at the full 16x using Verbatim's 16x media (available on sale often in 25-packs from various places). I've burned maybe 40 and haven't yet seen any indication that flying through the burn at that speed is any less reliable than using slower speeds.

11. SethG

SethG Member

The problem is that Ridata 16X discs do not contain a write descriptor for 16X, only 8X. So, you have to overclock your burner, or whatever they call it when you tell the DVD burner to burn an 8X dvd at 16X.

I guess, I'm the only one here who does not know how to do this.

12. SethG

SethG Member

Let me correct that, I was initially responding to the guy with the Ridata 16X's. The Verbatims seem to work really well, I picked up a pack, but Memorex burners seem to have firmware issues with them and spend 5 minutes on lead in/ lead out. And then 4 minutes burning the disc! So anywhere from 9-15 minutes with lead-in/lead out.

Of course Memorex seems to have a firm policy of not updating firmware.

13. nwfcs1

nwfcs1 Guest

I'm not sure exactly what Seth is talking about. But, All I know is when I use Ritek Ridata DVD+R 16x media in my BenQ DW1620 DL drive, the media is recognized by the drive as having a maximum write rate of 16x. For me, the software I am using does not dictate the write speed of the media, because that is determined when the drive reads the media. The only reason I am unable to write at the full 16x of the media is because I am using my drive externally, via USB2.0 and the fact I am only using a Celeron 2.4M Processor in my laptop, and thus am limitied to writing at 12x. I can attest to no errors and with BenQ's book type utility, I am able to write DVD-ROM disks that have been readable in every stand alone player (new and old) so far.

14. SethG

SethG Member

That's so strange. Here's the DVDinfopro data from my set of Ridata 16X. It shows a max write speed of 8X, which is why Nero locks it out to a max of 8X.

Region information N/A not a DVD-VIDEO
    Media code/Manufacturer ID RITEK R04
    Media Product Revision Number 01h
    Format Capacity Blank Disc
    Free Blocks 405405696
    Free Capacity 4.38GB(4.70GB)
    Book Type DVD+R
    Media Type DVD+R
    Manufacturer Rated Speed Unknown
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 8.0x 11080KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 6.0x 8310KBps
    Available Write Descriptor CLV 4.0x 5540KBps
    Data area starting sector 30000h
    Linear Density 0.267um/bit
    Track Density 0.74um/track
    Number of Layers 1

Complete Media Code
    00000000 08 02 00 00 A1 0F 02 00 00 03 00 00 00 26 05 3F .............&.?
    00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 07 52 49 54 45 4B 00 00 00 52 .......RITEK...R
    00000020 30 34 01 38 23 54 37 09 00 4A 6C 00 8C 66 19 1B 04.8#T7..Jl..f..
    00000030 0C 0C 0C 0E 01 19 1B 0C 0C 0C 0E 01 00 00 00 00 ................

15. nwfcs1

nwfcs1 Guest

Seth: Try using DVD Decrypter. When it detects the media, it will tell you what write speeds are available. When I load the Ritek 16x media, it says that all write speed are available, up to the max of my drive, which is 16x. If i load only 4x media, DVD Decrypter says the max write rate is only 4x since that is what the drive detected the media maximum write rate as.

16. SethG

SethG Member

Hmmm... DVD Decrypter reports a max of up to 8X only, matching the DVD info pro data. Can you run dvdinfopro and check the data on your media? Perhaps yours is correctly branded?

17. nwfcs1

nwfcs1 Guest

You are missing the point of what i've been saying: Your drive is detecting the media with a maximum write rate of 8x. I've seen this before with a bulk purchase of media. Not all the disks had the same write rate, indicating inconsistancies with the disk media. In that case, I purchased 8x dvd+r media and 7 of the 50 disk would only write at 4x, no matter what I tried. Since you didn't indicate what drive you are using, it maybe either a bad batch of disks or a limitation of your drive, of which maybe a firmware update might resolve. Also, depending on the return policy of the vendor you purchased the media from, you should request a refund.

18. SethG

SethG Member

Perhaps it is return time, what I think I've discovered is that every disc has a few "write-descriptors" on them that indicate the allowable speeds that they can be written to. The discs I got appear to not have a listing for 16X, so when I select maximum speed in any software it automatically switches it to 8X.

What seems so strange to me is that your discs automatically work with the software, my guess is that your discs have a write descriptor for 16X and mine do not. If that's not the case then I have no idea, either way it looks like I'm going to have to return them because I've gone through all four cake boxes and I can't find a single disc that is recognized as beyond 16X write ability. What a bummer.

19. SethG

SethG Member

Perhaps it is return time, what I think I've discovered is that every disc has a few "write-descriptors" on them that indicate the allowable speeds that they can be written to. The discs I got appear to not have a listing for 16X, so when I select maximum speed in any software it automatically switches it to 8X.

What seems so strange to me is that your discs automatically work with the software, my guess is that your discs have a write descriptor for 16X and mine do not. If that's not the case then I have no idea, either way it looks like I'm going to have to return them because I've gone through all four cake boxes and I can't find a single disc that is recognized as beyond 16X write ability. What a bummer.

20. nwfcs1

nwfcs1 Guest

Seth: Here is the disk id for my media: RITEK-R04-01. I confirmed the disk id with Dvd Decrypter.