1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

17" LCD Monitor

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by Bfizzle4, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Bfizzle4

Bfizzle4 Member

Hi, i have been looking at 17" LCD Monitors and was wondering if anyone good give me any kind of feedback on the following.

First of i'm an 18 year old kid whose money is very scarce and important. I have been researching newegg and looking at a bunch of different 17" LCD's. I was originally looking at the 300 dollar range which included an LG and a Samsung that both had 12MS response time and fairly large viewing angles. I then stumbled over to brands i have never even heard of before that are about 200 dollars each. One is called "8-cube" and the other is called "Polyview." Does anyone know who manufactures these as i can't find anything on a google search. Also if anyone knows of the quality of the latter two monitors please let me know. I just want to get the best bang for my buck and if can do so by only spending 200 i will

thanks, Brett

2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

go with known manufacturers as might be easier to get fixed tha an unknown manufacturer in that you might have to send overseas to get fixed instead of in your country

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

For LCD's there is a huge difference. If you can go to any computer store or what ever and look at the different ones displayed and see which ones you like. You may be surprised how dark a lot are.

Our lab bought a BenQ 17" recently and its nice, was about $300 Can, with 16ms response.

4. ddp

Prisoner, where you located???

5. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

I think I answered that in UK too much snow thread. but I am in Toronto. How about you?

This BenQ was bought through Corperate Express, but its same at other local computer stores.

6. ddp

check in uk too much snow post, we're playing post tag & your it!!!

7. Bfizzle4

Bfizzle4 Member

thanks for the info, i wish i could see what the off brands look like, but none of the stores i have been to have them. I guess going with the known brand is better for the reasons ddp stated. here are the off brands if anyone wants to take a look...

8-cube
    http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=24-209-002&depa=0

Polyview
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-024-501&depa=0

I do notice a lot of foreign letters on the box of the polyview. Anyways thanks for the quick responses!

Brett

8. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

9. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Several months ago I bought a 17" Acer from newegg and was so impressed with it that I bought a 19" Acer to go with it. They've both been outstanding monitors that look and perform great. The prices were very reasonable at the time and even lower now. Here's a link to the models I bought:

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-009-023&depa=1

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=24-009-022&depa=1

I'd most certainly buy Acers if I had it to do over again :)

Here's what they look like on my desk and yes I'm a horrible photographer who doesn't understand lighting,

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2005
  10. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

Damn.. you should be a photographer Neph, ever considered that? They look impressive side by side. =D

11. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Hey Neph, how do you have your desktop extended?
    That looks odd, you have the time and start button on the same monitor. Or are you running a computer each to those monitors?

12. Bfizzle4

Bfizzle4 Member

Thanks a lot for the info and the pictures. The acer's get great reviews so i'm leaning that way right now. Thanks a lot!

Brett

13. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

Just one PC. I use an outstanding little app called UltraMon that CJC told me about. It's made just for managing multi monitor setups and let's you do damn near anything you want with them. It allows you to customize each monitor's wallpaper and screensaver independant of the other (unlike Windows). It also allows you to add another button at the top right of each window by the Minimize/Maximize/Close buttons that will send the window to the opposite screen with a single click instead of dragging them to and fro. Another cool feature is it gives the second monitor it's own toolbar at the bottom so you don't have two screens worth of tabs crowed into the primary monitor's toolbar.

I love being able to do busywork while a movie plays on the second one :D

14. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Bfizzle4

When you start looking at LCD's and you start to compare specs, you might notice something very unique with every single one of them, [bold]like all 17" LCD monitors have a Pixel Pitch: 0.264mm[/bold]

They might change a bit here and there with their response times, contrast ratio and brightness, but all in all they will be so close it will amaze you.

If you are a gamer, try to have a Response Time less than 25ms, most gamers prefer under 18ms.

Brightness-300cd/m2 and up, this might be a factor if viewing under certain lighting conditions.

Contrast-400:1 and up, most now are at least 450:1.

A funny thing happened when Costco puts LCD monitors on sale, like a Princeton for example. The Website of Princeton had better specs for their exact same monitor then what Costco showed for them, which helps to justify a price difference.

I still am a firm believer that Price is what matters most on this at this time since most specs are nearly all the same, or tweaked a bit to help justify a difference in price, unless they have other features such as a better stand, USB’s built in, etc.

15. Toiletman

Toiletman Active member

I think the new 8ms LCDs are in, expensive though. I was just about to say, if you're a gamer you're better off with a CRT lol.

16. tttomius

tttomius Member

what does this "both had 12MS response time" means???

17. ddp

12ms=12 milli second or 12/1000 of a second to change the pixel/screen appearance

18. Bfizzle4

Bfizzle4 Member

Here is another item to be addressed in the monitors. As Scubabud said, the specs are soooo similar that price is what matters. I just i have one other time i would like on my monitor. I want it to have a good downard tilt. I'm going to college this fall and would like, if need be, to be able to tilt my monitor downard for best picture quality while lying in my bed. I know that some of the monitors don't tilt down much at all. I was just at bestbuy today and the downard tilt was lacking on a lot of monitors. Thanks again everyone!

Brett

19. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Ya the link I posted was the 8ms BenQ 17" and its cheaper then alot of the others. So wouldn't say there more expensive. For our lab we needed high brightness, and high contrast for imaging. Response time is criticall for watching movies or playing games. If more than 12ms or 20ms (depends on your eyes) you will notice a "ghosting" effect where the last image is delayed into the next.