1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1762 Configuration Error

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by lex681, Dec 7, 2005.

1. lex681

lex681 Member

Ok, I'm not sure if this is exactly the right place for this, but since you guys have never steered me wrong, I would appreciate the help. As our home pc, we used to have a IBM Aptiva, upgraded it to windows millenium when that was the big thing then evenually upgraded to an entirely new pc that my uncle built. The Aptiva was packed away since it still worked and basically left alone. Then we decided to give it to one of the girls at work since they needed one and didn't have the money. They wanted it for general purpose stuff, lite surfing, working from home, etc. So I brought it over, hooked it up, turned it on and at the boot up screen, theres a message underneath the memory test, etc. that says "1762 configuration change has occurred", then it freezes, you can't go any place from there. I dug out the old manual for this, which suggested testing the connections to make sure they were in properly, they were. So, since I can find no helpful suggestions in the manual and nothing on the web, and since I've never come up against something like this, I ave no idea as to what caused it. Any ideas? Thanks for the help.

2. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Those are BIOS configuration messages nothing to do with O/S, go to www.ibm.com "support" and download the setup and installation file, when you created the disks which are bootable you will get on bootup the BIOS setup screen showing what has changed!!!!!!!!!

3. lex681

lex681 Member

Thanks. I'll let you know how it comes out.

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

check to see if the cmos battery is still good. this is the meaning for that error.
    1762 Harddisk drive configuration error,

Run Configuration via the F1 Setup Utility program

5. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

On the Aptiva if i remember good the CMOS lithium 3v battery error is #27535

The 1762 error is a BIOS not properly configured.

6. lex681

lex681 Member

It freezes after it goes through the memory tests so I can't hit F1. Not to sound totally pc illiterate, but I would just type in installation/setup files for an aptiva? thanks.

7. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

You didnt say how old that Aptiva is ? --- That CMOS battery could be the cause -- less then 5 years old ?? the battery should be still good ! but anything longer ... i have doubts !

On very old Aptiva you had to hold both mouse buttons while booting to get to the bios --- newer ones you used F1. On PS/2 was (Ctrl)(Alt)(Ins) after (Ctrl)(Alt)(Del) .

If you look under the PC you should see a Model number !! this would help !!!

8. lex681

lex681 Member

I think its about five years old. If it is the CMOS battery, is it easy to change? or is it easier to buy a new one? If it is the battery where can I get one? I'll call her to look for the model number. Thanks for all your help!

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

if the battery is the standard lithium disk battery, it is probably a cr2032 can also use a dl2032. can get at radio shack, electronic or computer store. also hardware stores might have them. is easy to change as it slides into a socket.

10. Jeanc1

Jeanc1 Guest

Very easy to change -- look on the motherboard .. you should see it... probably has a small metallic finger holding it.. you can find easily in stores.

When you get the model number .. you will possibly find online at IBM support... all the setup instructions and specs for that Aptiva. It is'nt very old ! You may be lucky enough to find the Recovery Disk online; then you could re-install the O/S.

Good Luck