1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1Click DVD Copy 5 problem - DMA

Discussion in 'Copy DVD to DVDR' started by argyle007, Jan 19, 2007.

1. argyle007

argyle007 Guest

I'm having a problem with 1Click DVD Copy 5, and their tech support refuses to help me, or refund me.

I downloaded the free trial, made the 3 copies, it was fantastic. I paid for the money, got the registration code, and it failed 17 times in a row, with many different DVDs, not just the same disc over and over. A couple of the times it didn't even get to the burning process, it failed just on reading the disc. 1 time it burnt 13% of the way and then ejected the disc. 14 times it burnt 1% of the way and ejected the disc.

The only advice they gave me were to do a complete reinstall (which did no good), and also to check my DMA settings. They told me to change the settings from PIO ONLY to DMA IF AVAILABLE. My computer was in DMA IF AVAILABLE, but it was locked into PIO ONLY MODE anyhow. I don't know what any of this means, I'm not a techie type guy, so it's all over my head. Anyhow, after I told them that the computer was stuck in PIO ONLY MODE, they told me the problem was with Microsoft and not them, and they refused to offer more support. I asked for a refund, they declined, despite the fact that the review site that I found their company on said they have a 30 day money back guarantee.

According to microsoft at http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/ide-dma.mspx:

"For repeated DMA errors. Windows XP will turn off DMA mode for a device after encountering certain errors during data transfer operations. If more that six DMA transfer timeouts occur, Windows will turn off DMA and use only PIO mode on that device.
    In this case, the user cannot turn on DMA for this device. The only option for the user who wants to enable DMA mode is to uninstall and reinstall the device."

They way I read that is that their software did something that killed off DMA mode, and they are responsible for why I can't get into DMA MODE, whatever that i.

So, my question is this: Can anyone help me to either get my computer into DMA MODE, or come up with some other solution to help me get the software to work? I'm at my wit's end, and so frustrated right now. Please help.

2. bubbles19

bubbles19 Guest

argyle

Here is a guide to help you get your DMA settings fixed.

Have a read of your text you posted from the Microsoft like. It quite clearly tells you that it is windows that changes your DMA settings.

There are a couple of things that could cause your computer to trip the DMA back to PIO.

1. If your source disc (original) is scratched/damaged and your drive struggles to read the disc during the transcoding process.

2. And this is the one that we usually find causing the problem - Poor quality media. Many people will buy the cheapest media around and also try to burn it at the highest burn setting they can. From experience this will cause you more problems also in the long run. If you press F8 with 1click running your log file will show on screen. search through and you will see a line similar to this and that will tell you your media id and your selected burn speed. Use the link below to check your media id's rating.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

3. bubbles19

bubbles19 Guest

We have seen this more and more where some of these review sites are not providing accurate info.

One of them even states that 1click removes CSS & Arccos protections from your DVD's.

I have siad this to many people over the years - always check out what the company says on their own website before you buy anything.

4. argyle007

argyle007 Guest

So how do I go about getting back into DMA mode? I know that's not 100% necessary, since I have been successfully making homemade DVDs of all my digital photographs, even since I was informed about this setting. I'm able to burn DVDs of photos and stuff, but am unable to use 1Click. If for some reason their software only works in DMA Mode, or Ultra DMA Mode, how do I go about getting back into that mode?

Thank you,
    Rich

5. argyle007

argyle007 Guest

Been trying to burn at 2X, FWIW. And thank you very much for the link. The DVDs I'v been using fall into the 2nd Class Media category. 0 for the last 17 is a lot worse of a success than the 80% - 95% range they should fall into. :)

Thanks,
    Rich

6. bubbles19

bubbles19 Guest

Sorry

I forgot to post the link in my other reply.

Here it is

http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/260038

7. argyle007

argyle007 Guest

Bubbles:

Before I uninstall and reinstall anything, please clarify one thing.

One of the 1Click DVD Copy support staff wrote the following in one of their emails to me:

(VERY IMPORTANT: DO NOT UN-INSTALL THE PRIMARY IDE CHANNEL because it will un-install the hard drive!!!)

The link you sent me shows how to uninstall the primary IDE channel. Will this or will this not uninstall my hard drive? I certainly don't want to lose my internal hard drive over this.

I am very grateful for your help.

Rich

8. argyle007

argyle007 Guest

PS: in device manager, under IDE ATA/ATAPI CONTROLLERS, I do not have a SECONDARY IDE CHANNEL. Only a primary. don't know if that matters or not, since none of makes any sense to me in the first place.

Rich

9. blake123

blake123 Guest

Uninstall the one thats in pio.

10. bubbles19

bubbles19 Guest

Rich

Many new machines have SATA Hard drives these days so your Optical drives may well be on the primary IDE channel.

Check the DMA settings for the ports/devices.

If they are down as DMA mode 5 or 6 then they will be HDD's anything else will be an optical drive.

11. bubbles19

bubbles19 Guest

I have never seen a HDD in PIO so that is always the clincher

12. argyle007

argyle007 Guest

Bubbles:

I re-installed the Primary IDE drive, per the instructions on the page you linked me to. The problem has been solved. Thank you very much. If you ever find yourself in or around the Milwaukee area, call me, as I'm indebted to you. Just post on this thread and it'll email me.

Thanks so much,
    Rich Boles