1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1st. Burn - Stymied Already

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by tsquare43, Dec 24, 2004.

1. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

2. sbatch

sbatch Member

Thanks for the info. Now I have one more problem that is aboout to drive us all insane. I have been using Prodiscs, inkjet printable, to the tune of several hundred without out any problems. I did an update for Nero, dvd Shrink and dvd Decrypter. That was when I started getting error messages and coasters. I changed to Ritek and a couple of other brands and still get coasters. I can use a plain disc, brand does not seem to matter, and don't get a bad burn but once in a great while. Any ideas on what problem could be? Thanks in advance
    sbatch

3. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Since you didn't wish to add any information I can only surmise that what you left out was indeed the problem - I find it incredibly difficult to believe that the only discs you don't have any trouble with are those that are well known as some of the worst available on the market for DVD Video work.

As you are also keeping any errors OR explanation of what causes these discs to become "coasters" a secret I shall attempt to read your mind and the cosmos to come up with your sought after answers

Next, since you get coasters no matter what you do, it would seem that you are making the same mistake over and over i.e. constantly burning at too fast a speed or not following a guide. Also, it's possible that you don't bother to keep your drives updated with the latest firmware – it's possible too that you're pushing proggy's target size to their outside limit, i.e. target size set at somewhere around 4500MB frying to the disc's outer edges instead of a conservative 4360MB.

When you mention programs, you should mention any settings off default that your proggy's are set on, any guide you are using, where the error appeared, what the error is, etc. Since you haven't provided that -

Then this is, all I wish to speculate on.

You might want to spend a little time reading in the forum to see how it's supposed to be run. Pple come and supply us with information and we endeavor to help them with their problem.

It is not a place where pple come, tell us their problem, supply us with no information whatsoever and ask us to use some supernatural powers to see across the Internet and divine what is wrong. We are not fortunetellers. We are pple with a small amount of knowledge willing to use that knowledge to help others. At sometime in the future you might wish to post a question and not "jerk our chain "- try using something like this to provide information -

LQQk, depending upon your problem – this is an example of the type of information we need, fill in as much as you can - it's all important -

Have you tried checking your burning basics ?

Have you flashed your Firmware ?

Do you have a working ASPI layer ?

When was your last Disk Defrag ?
    If you have to think about it, it's been far too long.
    You need to do it now ! ! !

What is your burner's IDE location ?

What are your burner's Jumper settings ?

What type of media are you using ?
    (Of major importance if you're having any trouble burning.)

What programs are you using ? To rip ? To edit ? To Burn ?

What Guide OR Guides are you using ?

Was there an error ? What exactly did it say ?

Exactly where are you and what are you doing when your error occurred ?

What are your PC's specs ?

Do you have any Roxio products installed on your PC ?

Are you operating in the PIO or DMA transfer mode ?

Handy tools to help you find out about your PC ~

To check firmware, at the bottom of the page look for "What's my firmware? - Try this little tool I found," Download this tool and check out your firmware. There are also some firmware updates at this site.

http://flashman.rpc-1.com/

ASPI Checker.
    Ascertains your ASPI layer's presence and operation status

http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/su...nguage=English+US&filekey=aspichk.exe&sess=no

DVD Identifier.
    Provides us with important info about your discs.

http://dvd.identifier.cdfreaks.com/

Nero Info Tool.
    General system information: Drive operation & support
    http://www.afterdawn.com/software/cdr_software/cdr_tools/nero_info_tool.cfm

FILE INFORMATION

Where did the files you're working with come from ?
    What format are they in, RAR, Bin/Cue, AVI, VCD, SVCD, MPEG2, DVR, WMV, MPEG 2 DVD compatible, ISO or VOB's ?

What do you wish to do with them ?
    Burn them to DVD's ? A single (4.7GB) DVD ? A Dual Layer (8.5GB) DVD ? Burn them to Cd's ?

What is your ultimate usage ?
    Play then on your PC ? Play them on a standalone player ? Mount them on a virtual drive ? Store them ?

Burner information:

What model drives are you working with ?

Are your drives internal ?
    Are you using a primary and secondary IDE cable and if you are, which is your burner on ?
    What setting are you using for them on your IDE cable, is the burner set as a master OR slave ?
    Are they 40-Pin OR 80-Pin connections ?
    What transfer mode is burner set at, DMA or PIO mode ?
    Up-to-date drivers ?
    Up-to-date Firmware ?
    Do you have a working ASPI layer ?
    Proper jumper configuration ?

Are your drives external ?
    USB ?
    Firewire?
    Up-to-date drivers ?
    Up-to-date Firmware ?
    Proper jumper configuration ?

Hopefully you'll either "stickie" this OR print it out so you don't "rake" the next member over the coals.

Pete

Last edited: Jan 31, 2005
  4. sbatch

sbatch Member

I sincerely apologize. I did not mean to jerk anyone's chain for rake anyone over the coals. When you're learning you sometimes make mistakes. Sorry again!

sbatch

5. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

Accepted ~

Please provide some information - we cannot keep guessig at a problem if we know nothing about it -

Go over the list, answer all that apply -

Thank you ~

Last edited: Feb 5, 2005
  6. sbatch

sbatch Member

Ok here we go down the list: Hope I got enough info;

Burning Basics? Not quite sure what you want but I have the folders set up on the HD for t he process.

The firmware has not been flashed because the unit is brand new and I have not found any up dates.

Disk Defrag is done every other day and the HD was reformatted around 2-1-05.

Don't know about IDE location and Jumper Settings: The DVD-Rom is set up as the master on the secondary channel. The Burner is an IO Magic Dual Format/Dual Layer 16X External Unit on a USB2 connection.

Media is DVD-R: Ritek, Ridata, Maxell and Prodisc 4X and some 8X.

Programs are: DVD Shrink 3.2, DVD DeCrypter 3.5.2 and Nero 6. (Other than Windows XP, these are the only programs on the computer)

Guides: DVD to DVD-R using DeCrypter, Burning pre-authored DVD-Video Using Nero, and anything I find about DVD Shrink.

The Error Messages:
    I/O Error:
    Device:[0:0:0]DVDRW IDE 16X A07F(G:) (USB)
    ScsiStatus:0x02

7. sbatch

sbatch Member

Burning Basics? Not quite sure what you want but I have the folders set up on the HD for t he process.

The firmware has not been flashed because the unit is brand new and I have not found any up dates.

Don't know about IDE location and Jumper Settings: The DVD-Rom is set up as the master on the secondary channel. The Burner is an IO Magic Dual Format/Dual Layer 16X External Unit on a USB2 connection.

Programs are: DVD Shrink 3.2, DVD DeCrypter 3.5.2 and Nero 6. (Other than Windows XP, these are the only programs on the computer)

Guides: DVD to DVD-R using DeCrypter, Burning pre-authored DVD-Video Using Nero, and anything I find about DVD Shrink.

The Error Messages:
    I/O Error:

8. sbatch

sbatch Member

Sorry this is going to be long!

Burning Basics? Not quite sure what you want but I have the folders set up on the HD for the process.
    DVD Target size is set for 4360MB. Burning process is done at 2x and 4x.

ASPI Checker:downloaded
    ASPI layer is in place and working properly.

Mostly the burns are for the full disc but occassionally I edit with Shrink.

Guides: DVD to DVD-R using DeCrypter, Burning pre-authored DVD-Video Using Nero, and anything I find about DVD Shrink and the step by step guides on ScubaPetes other website.

The Error Messages:
    I/O Error:
    Interpretation:Check Condition

CDB: 2A 00 00 21 CB E0 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation:Write(10)- Sectors:2214880-2214911

Sense Area: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0A 00 00 00 00 21 00 00 00 00 00
    Interpretation:Logical Block Address out of Range

This message came up when the burn was 99% complete

Another error message on another burn read the same except the following lines were different.
    CDB:2A 00 00 1A 96 E0 00 00 20 00
    Interpretation:Write(10)-sectors1742560-1742591

This message showed up around 60% through the burn.

A third error message happened shortly after the burn started (right after the lead in) that listed sectors 601-630.

Each message occurred with a different movie and a differend dvd disc and I think I was using Shrink and Decryper at the time. I also get read errors with Nero but I didn't have any to copy at this time.

Also I am still getting the "semaphore timeout period has expired" message even after I got the ASPI layer installed and working.

What was I doing and where was I when the errors occurred: I was setting across the room watching TV but still within view of the computer screen.

Computer Specs: eMachine T2385/ Intel Celeron 2.3GHz/ 512 MB/80 GB HD/Samsung DVD-Rom version F301/CDRW/Windows XP/
    Western Digital 120 GB External HD- firewire and usb2 connection.
    I/O Magic Dual Format/Dual Layer External Burner - usb2 connection- firmware version A07F
    Drivers updated

No Roxie Products on any kind.

Everything is set in DMA Transfer Mode- Primary Channel is Ultra DMA Mode 5 and the Secondary Channel is Ultra DMA Mode 2

Files are set up through Shrink and Decrypter on the HDs and as far as I know the are ISO and/or VOB.

I want to burn them to DVD and play them on a stand alone player.

I downloaded and ran DVD Identifier:
    checked the Ritek, Ridata and the Prodisc media;
    Screen showed: Detected Medium
    LPP/CD2 Read Completed without errors
    Disc Identification Completed Successfuly
    Manufacturer Not Found in Datbase
    Manufacturer ID-Not Present on Disc

Now a reminder of the problem: I had no problems burning discs until I up dated Shrink, Decrypter and Nero. No changes were made on the settings except what was changed in the up-dates. Now I can not seem to burn the ink jet printable discs that I have always used. If I get a Burn Failed I can put in a plain(not ink printable) disc, tell it to burn a second copy and get a successfull burn. This doesn't make sense to me.

9. sbatch

sbatch Member

Sorry about the two partial replies. Apparently my fingers decided to be stupid and stuttered on the entry key before I was finished typing.

10. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

sbatch,

Thank you. That was an excellent post (I just wish to the Gods above everyone would write like that ~)

Your PC, your updates and your proggy settings look very good. The thing that stood out and "smacked me in the face," was -

Theres no way those discs should not have been found ~ Only "Pirate" discs won't show up.

I noticed that there was a new DVDIdentifier as of Feb. 1, 05. I downloaded it and it works just fine.

Also, some added suggestions - reinstall an older version of DVD Shrink. I have seen 2 other instances where this has happened and the problem went away when a slightly older version of DVD Shrink was used.

Second, In DVDD, go to Tools - setttings - ISO write -options, untick the box for "lock volume".

Give that a try and report back -

Pete

11. sbatch

sbatch Member

Can your tell me where to find an older version of Shrink? I have been looking for one but every site I go to endw up giving me the new version. Thanks again.

12. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

13. sbatch

sbatch Member

Hey, thanks for the older shrink version site. It seems to have solved the problem. Only had one or two bad discs and that's probably the discs. I really appreciate the help. Also the VOBBlanker works great too.

14. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

sbatch,

It seems you are on your way :)

BUT , that doesn't mean it's time for you to up and Ski-dattle - this is a give and take kind of a deal - we had fun helping you, now, the next time, you get to have some fun yourself :)

It's people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and you've seen that we had fun doing it - Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and, a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)Then you'll have a chance to "Welcome" them into our little Club :D

Take a few minutes and check out our opening page. We've got a ton"O"stuff here at aD – Checkout other forums, we have the "Safety Valve" a forum about anything – from "What's bugging you," "Where members come from" OR the best joke you've heard – OR, check out our forums on Digital Camcorders, Photography, Home Theater components, Games, p2p topics or even Cellular phones.

We hope to see you around when you're NOT having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler, under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be lQQking for you ~ ~>

Sea ya soon,

Pete :b)