1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1x to 8x

Discussion in 'DVD±R media' started by montrolla, Dec 6, 2004.

1. montrolla

montrolla Member

when backing up a movie, does the speed at what you burn have any impact in the output quality?
    is it better to burn at low or high speed?

2. CJC

CJC Regular member

Generally most people burn a DVD at 4x.

I would rather instead of burning at 8x in say 10 minutes, burn at 4x in 15 minutes, as with most things, the faster you burn, the more possible errors you get.

CJC

3. montrolla

montrolla Member

so, it is worthless to pay more for 8x, i guess.
    beside errors, what about quality (output quality, image)

4. qetuo

qetuo Member

If you write the media to its certified speed, you will not have a problem (it all depends then on the media quality itself...). If e.g. you write at 12X on a certified Verbatim 12X, you will have quality results...

5. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... It all depends on what you're going to play the resulting DVD on ... If you want 100% compatability with both very old and very new DVD players, you're better off burning slowly as the older players seem to have problems playing 8X and faster copies ...

... Personally, I never burn faster than 2X because we have a couple of older players in the house ...

... Slower burning speeds seem to produce a lower percentage of skeet (some people call 'em coasters) ...

6. montrolla

montrolla Member

i think i would stick to 4x. i've been having coasters since i started burning at 8x on a certified 8x media. prodisc by the way.

7. fuzzyfish

fuzzyfish Member

what about with DVD recorders? I don't undersand how they can burn anything faster than 1x because it records as the show airs, right?

8. catfreak

catfreak Active member

... If you have a set top DVD recorder with a hard drive, you can dub from the hard drive to a disc faster than 1X ... If you're recording straight from the source, however, you are limited to 1X ...