1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.00 Downgrading Problems (HELP NEEDED)

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Mod and firmware discussion' started by tripxl, Apr 15, 2007.

1. tripxl

tripxl Member

Ok, so I just got a PSP with firmware version 2.00, earlier. All downgrading guides say that I need a file called overflow.tif, but I have downloaded the MPH.zip from everywhere and everytime I unzip it, it never comes with overflow.tif. I have been searching for a couple of hours now and still no results. I saw that the file was mistakenly known as a virus by some computers, maybe when my computer extracts the files, it'll automatically leave overflow.tif out? I'm not sure, but it would be really helpful if someone could post a direct download link to the file itself, or possibly explain why it's not in the MPH packs.

2. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

just upgrade to another higher firmware like 2.8 and then use a downgrder for that

3. tripxl

tripxl Member

LMAO. I was soooo busy looking for the file that I forgot that there were other ways to downgrade.

4. Menissalt

Menissalt Member

if you can find a way to get the overflow.tiff out w/out interferance from your virus protection, the MPHdowngrader works beatifully, not as much chance as brick your PSP. A word to the wise, i recently did the same and upgraded to 3.03oe-c (awesome by the way) and tried to install a custom XMB. DO NOT do this unlee you know what your doing because this will happen.

5. tripxl

tripxl Member

Oh, I followed chanman's suggestion to upgrade. I upgraded to 3.03, then downgraded to 1.50 via GTA exploit. Then I upgraded to 3.03 OE-C, because it seemed like the most secure custom firmware, after having three revisions by Dark Alex. I was planning to customize my XMB icons and names, but since hearing about Menissalt's brick, I nixed that. Thanks for the warning, Menissalt!

6. guano

guano Regular member

You don't need to be scared, dude. It's very easy to customize your XMB w/o bricking. Once you take a look at the flash files, you'll get used to their locations. You don't remove any files, you just replace. XMB for XMB, gameboot for gameboot. There are also threads on here to help you dummy your font files so you can use bigger gameboots; up to approx 2MB.

7. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

yeah the reason menissalt bricked was because he deleted all his files in his flash...stupid mistake, but if u know what u are doing u wont brick. if u flash a corrupt file or something and semi brick, u can always recover to 1.5 via recovery menu.

don't let that fear prevent u from doing something that is almost riskfree in bricking...ur denying urself a great looking xmb =D

8. Menissalt

Menissalt Member

Yeah, should have specified my mistake. but listen to these guy's, they know more than me. Just don't do what i did because if you mess up with the way they're telling you to do it you'll only semi-brick and recover it from the recovery menu, which works great (I semi-bricked on 3.10oe). By the way anyone know where i can get a fresh motherboard to fix mine? other than like ebay or that place in China.

9. tripxl

tripxl Member

Ok, so I'm honestly liking the idea of a customized XMB. Could you guys probably show me some reliable tools to do this? Are there any other things I should probably know about before customizing? Oh! When I upgrade to more recent custom firmware, does the XMB customization revert back to the official versions or do they stay?

10. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

connect a usb cable, go to recovery menu->advanced->enable flash0. this gives you access to all files in flash! the best method to flash, no programs needed. just take each individual file and copy it into the folder in flash where it goes, and overwrite the one there. MAKE SURE TO BACK UP YOUR FLASH FIRST. AND MAKE SURE YOU DO NOT COPY A WHOLE FOLDER OVER, OTHERWISE YOU WILL DELETE NECESSARY FILES. JUST COPY EACH FILE INDIVIDUALLY. that was what bricked menissalt's psp.

generally almost all files go in vsh/resource/, but font files go in the 'font' folder. u can also dummy files to get extra space in your flash0 folder in case you run out of room using larger gameboots, etc, here http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=psp&thread.id=2807428

and a very nice guide on different customizations if u want to try and create your own
    http://www.psp-vault.com/module-pnForum-viewtopic-topic-7865.psp

cheers

11. arklogic

arklogic Member

i enabled flash0, and went into usb mode, but i dont know where to find the vhs folder.

12. chanman1

chanman1 Regular member

it should be one of the first folders ur see...what folders do u see?

13. arklogic

arklogic Member

hmm well first i enable flash0 from the recovery. when i plug it in via cable, i dont know how to access the mproot from the media manager. via memory card and adapter, i dont see anything new (i think im looking for a folder called f0)

14. fultonla

fultonla Guest

uhh flash0 is built into your psp not on your memory card you have to use a usb cable...

15. arklogic

arklogic Member

Hmm when i enable flash0, plug in the usb, and "explore" the psp drive, i dont see the f0 file >.>

16. arklogic

arklogic Member

Last edited: Apr 19, 2007
  17. fultonla

fultonla Guest

try going into theme settings and playing around with the themes only one of them might work