1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.08 GHz processor fast enough?

Discussion in 'All other topics' started by shivera, Nov 20, 2003.

1. shivera

shivera Guest

I have a 2.08GHz processor and I was wondering if it is fast enough for just gaming and messing around on it. I play games like: Alien vs Predator 2, Unreal Tournament 2003, Starcraft, etc.

2. Praetor

Praetor Moderator Staff Member

2.08 is fast enough. What about the other important stuff? (vid card, mobo, ram(

3. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

2Ghz is really fast, but you Ram amount and speed is really important. Also Hard drive speed for those games and CD rom speed for game loading. Most important for Gaming is the Video Card, if you have an NVidia with 64Mb you should be fine.

4. shivera

shivera Guest

I got 512MB DDR SDRAM RAM and NVIDIA GeForce 4MX graphics with 64MB DDR shared with video memory. Its pretty tight. One time I installed Quake 3 and it said I had minum system requirements. I right clicked my computer and it said 2.08GHz!?!!

Cya,
    shivera

5. Praetor

The 2Ghz should hold up on its own as far as CPU requirements go. Only two warning bells:
    -GeForce4MX is a really bad video card as far as future compatibility goes, the lack of a programmable shader (which the GeForce3 had)
    If you wanna read more about it, head on over to http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/44920
    - The video is onboard, that means it shares memory with your system which means (a) the system will have less memory to play with, (b) the memory available to the video chip will me running at the same speed as the system ram, which is significantly slower than that of normal video memory_X_X_X_X_X_[small]ASUS A7V8X-X, AMD2500+
    Samsung 1024MB, PC2700
    360GB [3x120GB, 7200, 8MB]
    MSI Starforce, GeForce4 Ti4400 128MB

Rules and Policies: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/2487
    AFTERDAWN IRC: irc.emule-project.net, #ad_buddies
    COME SAY HI![/small]

Last edited: Nov 22, 2003
  6. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

Praetor, has a good point. If you want to improve gaming performance you can set the jumpers on your mother board to turn off the onboard card and put in a cheap Nvidia 420 or 460 card. THat should have noticable improvment. I have Nvidia 420 on my Notebook and it is good. having what Preator lists in his PC spects above would be much better.

7. shivera

shivera Guest

Okay, how much does a NVIDIA 420 cost and where can I get it?

8. Praetor

1. A GeForce4MX420 is bloddy impossible to find (here in Canada anyways). You will most likely find a GeForce4MX440 (which is better -- not much better, but better). The GeForce4MX460 is better and slightly more difficult to find than the GeForce4MX440 but not impossibly so

2. Before you head off to buy a GeForce4MX series card, SERIOUSLY head over and read my critique of that series: http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/44920 The GeForce4MX series does not feature programmable shaders of any kind whatsoever. This will be a serious dampener on your gaming life. Of course, anything is better than onboard. But not by much (even less so compared to something like the onboard for the nForce2 :p)

3. You can find the GeForceFX5200 for $100 -- EASILY (i.e., less than 4 minutes of looking). I damn near crapped my pants when I saw how easily it was to find those cards. Do a little research and you will be well rewarded.

4. To actually answer your question, a GeForce4MX series card usually retails for $60 CAD here (compare that to $100 for a GeForceFX5200) hehe.

9. shivera

shivera Guest

Would it be ok to overclock my computer from 2.08GHz to 2.4GHz? Would it shorten my computer lifespan? I just want a little more speed.

Shivera

10. Praetor

1. Like Prisoner said, 2GHz is plenty for the avg dude to run avg programs.
    2 You should be worrying more about the vid card and subsystem if you want performance.
    3. Although you can OC, you need to do research on how much exactly you can OC by... with Intel chips 400Mhz may be a lot -- the numbers are extremely specific, each machine, same model even can be different.

11. ls3mach

ls3mach Member

I have 32MB Nvidia Geforce 4 420 Go graphics controller in my laptop. Is this good.

12. Prisoner

Prisoner Guest

That is the exact same card in my Notebook. I think it is amazing. But depends on what you want to use it for. The resolotion allowed is really good, the ability to extend the desktop to two screens is cool and it is really good for watching DVD movies with a projector. As for Gaming it provides good graphics, but I haven't tried any new games which typically require more video ram.

13. Praetor

CnC Generals will tax a 32MB video card :)