1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.1 amp and speaker system?

Discussion in 'Receivers and amplifiers' started by elohssa, Apr 19, 2007.

1. elohssa

elohssa Guest

I recently set my Grandpa up with a 56" DLP Toshiba t.v. He said he is having trouble hearing some of the programs that he watches. He wanted me to look into getting him some louder external speakers.

It seems like every once in a while in the weekly ads I would see 2.1 amp and speaker set combo. I was thinking something like this may be good for him. I would rather not set up a 5.1 system because I don't want to have to deal with the rear channel wiring.

Does anyone know of any decently priced amp and speaker systems that would help him hear the T.V. better and would be reasonably priced?

Does anyone have any alternative suggestions or recommendations for this problem?

Thanks!

2. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I did that with my grandfather ... I bought a used two channel stereo amp with a couple of cheap speakers and it did the trick. Here is one for 85.00 at radio shack but you could probably get one cheaper with the speakers included at a salvation army or used equipment store. The nice thing about the cheapies is that you only need to turn them on and off / nothing fancy to operate.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...wCatId=2032057&kw=amplifier&parentPage=search

Out of curiosity, did you try going into the TVs menus and turn the bass way down and the treble up? Sometimes with the hard of hearing its a matter of too much ambient sound.

3. elohssa

elohssa Guest

I never thought of a stereo receiver and speakers, that is a good idea! I did go into the setup menu and fiddle with the settings, but I can't remember what I changed. I will have to try cranking the treble up and turning the bass down.

Thanks for your help and opinions!