1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2.5 hours on a P4-2.8 with NEC 2510???

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by NeAlvey, Sep 27, 2004.

1. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

Hi all,
    I've searched and ran into several ideas, but still having problems backing up my DVDs. I have a 2.8 w/512DDR and NEC 2510 8x burner with XP-Pro and it's taking 2.5 hours to backup a DVD. I've used DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink, Nero, etc. All about the same speed regardless if I create an ISO file with Shrink or Decrypter or burn straight to a DVD using Nero through Shrink. To create an ISO file, I'm getting a rate between 1200 - 1750 kb/s. I also noticed the buffer never went above 3mb whereas I see in some guides it being 74mb. I have a regular DVD (16x) rom I'm ripping the DVD from.

Right now I have two HDs on the same IDE cable and the two DVD drives on another so I would expect it to be slow going from DVD player to burner, but speed shouldn't be affected DVD-ROM to harddrive from what I figure. I haven't checked the DMAs, etc as I can't figure out how to in XP.

The ripping takes 1 to 1.5 hours and the burning takes 45 min to an hour + to burn at 8x (so it ways it's burning at 8x). I have NERO 6 OEM (dunno on build #) and Shrink 3.2 I believe Shrink is set-up correctly as I have the same settings as most of the guides suggest. I'm not convinced I have the latest firmware for my burner but would that cause THIS big of a difference?

Let me know if you need any more info. If you can point me in a direction of another post or can help me out here, I would really appreciate it. Right now I rip overnight then start burning in the morning before I go to work. THANKS ALL!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  2. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

3. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

Looking into the DMA link you gave me. Just to clarify, if I let it go for a few minutes, the buffer gets up to 60+ mb and the speed is apporaching 2000 kb/s.

Also to note, there is very little running in the background and no virus software.

Just changed so using DMA if possible and getting about the same results. For a typical movie, how much time should I be looking at for creating the ISO file using DVD Shrink?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2004
  4. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

The "DMA if possible" setting can be misleading. What is the "Current Transfer Mode" set to?

5. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

The transfer mode was originally set to PIO. I changed it to DMA and rebooted. Now the transfer mode says Ultra DMA or whatever it is. Same basic result though. Over an hour easily to decrypt using DVD Shrink.

6. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

You gave us a list of proggys you're using, Tell me EXCATLY what steps you're taking with one DVD that's giving you the 2.5 hr times -

Tell me the guide you're using OR the settings you're putting into the proggy.

Changing from PIO to DMA should have cut your time in half maybe even 1/3. There's no way the times are the same with DMA and PIO, it isn't possible -

Let me have that other info -

"P"

7. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

Well, I just tried a DVD tonight (Last Crusade I believe...). The ripping took 46 minutes and the burning only took 10 (MUCH IMPROVED!) Does this sound better?

What I did is use DVD Shrink to rip the movie. I did the full movie and get rid of extra sounds, etc. I created an ISO file to a drive on a different IDE cable. This took 45 minutes with all optimal settings set (not burning in background, no previews, etc). Then burning the ISO file from the HD to the burner took the 10 minutes. I'm possibly a little concerned about the 45 minutes to RIP as I hear people say it takes 30 minutes for the whole process.

Thanks for the DMA help though. Unbelieveable difference there.

8. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

I have a similar setup to you, It usualy takes me about 30mins to do the whole ripping/burning process but thats with dvd decryper or Xcopy.. not shink. have you tried using decrypter yet?

9. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

I'll give Decrypter another try tonight. Can someone point me to a guide or list the exact steps they do to get the 30 min? Thanks!

10. Nephilim

Last edited: Sep 29, 2004
  11. Nephilim

There's no "guide" to speak of. Your total times are going to be determined by A) the speed of your hardware, B) the size of the original and C) what software settings you use.

Shrink is as fast as any other app if you skip the Deep Analysis.

12. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

Cool...I'm happy with the under-an-hour performance. I may tweak around some more, but you guys have been very helpful.

13. ScubaPete

ScubaPete Senior member

NeAlvey,

Now that you're doing well, that doesn't mean it's time for you to up and Ski-dattle - this is a give and take kind of a deal - we had fun helping you, now, the next time, you get to have some fun yourself :)

It's people like you who make this site work - You've seen how we work and you've seen that we had fun doing it -

Now it's your turn, stop back when you're free and help someone else - You'll have fun and, a chance to learn some more, (teaching is a learning experience too you know) the people you help will appreciate it and it will make you feel better :)

Then you'll have a chance to "Welcome" them into our little Club :D

We hope to see you around when you're NOT having problems to solve -

You'll find us hanging out, over there by the water cooler, under the potted palm, chewing the fat and trying to help the next Newbie with the weight of the burning world upon their shoulders -

We'll be looking for you -

Cheers,

Pete

14. NeAlvey

NeAlvey Member

Pete, Thanks, I'll be around. I have the site bookmarked and will check back frequently. I'm a big fan of forums...so much better than a tech support line or professional opinion.

15. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

This is ripping with my NEC, takes about 10-15mins for a 4GB dvd. My sony drive is quite new, I have yet to test ripping speeds with it!
    Do you have similar times Nephilim? How about you ScubaPete? =)

16. Nephilim

17. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

I ran the speed test in nero with the NEC,

Length: 3.36GB
    Start: 2.07x
    Average: 3.46x
    End: 4.53x
    Elapsed Time: 13.04

are these results normal for a dvd burner?

18. Nephilim

They're normal since DVD burners come from the factory locked to a 2X read speed for DVD movies. Plextors are a notable exception with their SpeedRead function.

19. john179

john179 Active member

I have found the quickest way to back up a dvd which is say around 7.5gb disc with my NEC 2510a is.

Smartripper to hard drive around 20-30mins max.
    dvd2one 15 to 20 mins max
    Nero burn 15mins max

Most time all is achieved under a hour with time to spare and good quality results.

Sometimes shrink can compete we these speeds it all depends on the film.

20. jonjakjam

jonjakjam Regular member

yea It should take no longer than an hour if you have a 2.8GHz with decent RAM =)

Since Nephilim states that burners are Locked at 2x I decided to just replace my NEC with my Liteon Dvd-rom drive, I got much better results with the Nero speed tests this time around:

Single Layer 3.36GB
    Start: 6.72x
    Average:11.22x
    End:14.69
    Elapsed time:4:02

Dual Layer 6:22GB
    Start:3.59x
    Average:6.61x
    End:5.80
    Elapsed time:12.40

Thanks Nephilim for the burner info.

Ive found that the fastest and most "realiable" way to backup a dvd movie @4GB is to use dvd decrypter with a dvd-rom drive to read the iso, then burn the iso with decrypter @2.4x. Whole process Max = 20mins!