1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 DvD Burners On 1 P.C. Burning @ The Same Time

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by locoboof, Jan 2, 2005.

1. locoboof

locoboof Member

Ok first i will say im sorry for my misspelling and and other stuff.

I have a dell demensions 8400 {about 3 months old} p4 3.4 1gb of ram{533mhz} with the pioneer AO7XLB its able to burn a 8x. ok for starters i burn at 8x all the time flawlessly with firmware 1.20 and riteks GO5's {shinny tops not the silver matte} i can burn 4.5gb of data in about 8min 10sec..... with nero 6.6.0.1.i went and bought another pioneer burner {the same one} and a promise card because the mother board on my dell only has 1 ide slot coming out of it. so if i were to try and hook up 2 burners on the same ide cable it wont let the slave be in ultra dma mode. so i hooked up the promise card and the burner. both burners reconized just fine and were both in ultra dma mode. Now if i try to burn one at a time everything is fine. but as soon as i burn with them at the same time my the burn time slowwwwwsss down dramaticly instead of having one movie done in 8min 10sec both will take about 19min or more for one movie... so thats my question how can i have to dvd burners going at the same time burning two diffrent movies..... i have tryed going to the ram page settings and doubleing it but still the same problem.....do i need more ram? isn't my pc strong and fast enough? by the way i have 160gb just for the O.S and 3 250gb sata drives for my movies.... and im allready using 2 pc's but id like to have 2 dvd burners on my dell.... thanks if you can help....

2. Nephilim

Nephilim Moderator Staff Member

I'm a bit confused. Are you trying to burn two copies of the same film at the same time or are you trying to burn two different films at the same time?

In any case burning to two drives at the same time can be very, very taxing on your system and it's not surprising that you're not getting a full 8X to both drives.

3. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Most motherboards have 2 IDE slots. I wonder if it can cope with your extra card/IDE slot.
    I can use nero & alcohol120% to burn the same movie at the same time with my 2 108s. I really would question the quality of your motherboard.
    Also has your DMA in your BIOS defaulted to off?
    Most here, including myself burn @4x, to minimise burn errors.
    Are there any other apps working in the background?

4. locoboof

locoboof Member

first of all thank you for replying and taking the time to respond to my question....as far as you Nephilim: to answer your question yes i am attempting to burn 2 diffrent movies on 2 diffrent burners at the same time on 1 pc. So lets say on my firt pioneer 107AOXL im burning shrek {to back up my originals} and on my second drive i am burning shrek 2 at the same time. thats when the mass pc slow down accours not even my pc slows down but my burn time does istead of 8 min for one movie it turns into 20 for both.....(pulsar} for some reason my dell 8400 does not have 2 ide slots..... i was just as surprised to find that out when i opend it up to first add my burner. so thats why i went with the ide card....now while the ide cable that does come out of the motherboard has a master and a slave it doesent let the slave be in ultrra dma mode only {pio} thats why i went with the promise card. as far as the dma being defaulted off in the bios.. how would i check that?.... and i use to burn at 4x but i started to want to back up all my originals so i needed to go faster. so i upgraded the firmware on my burner.. updated the latest verion of nero and with THE RITEK GO5 media {SHINY TOPS ONLY} NOT THE SILVER MATTE ON TOP THEY COME IN 25 CAKE BOXES AT A TIME... i can say i have backed up over 300 of my movies and not 1 bad discs no skipping no errors nothing and play perfectly in all of my standalones. a trick i use to test my burns put the discs you just burned in your ps2 if it plays in there with no problems it will play anywhere.... do to the fact that the ps2 is the WORST cheapest dvd player in the world

5. Nephilim

Well I'd venture to say that the burning of two different films at the same time is simply too much for your system to properly handle at the moment and as far as upgrades or changes you could make to improve the situation I'm at a loss. I know several folks who have resonable success burning two discs simultaneously but that's when working with the same file. Maybe pulsar can give you more pointers :)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2005
  6. dvd_tim

dvd_tim Member

It is definately possible, but its alot for a system to do, i have 2 burners and can burn 2 at once, i a 2 gigs of pc3200 and sata drives, and 3.2 prescott p4. i quit doing it though because it was giving me alot of bad quality, it was just too much for the system. Also are you using the same software at one time? I had problems with some software running twice at the same time.

7. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Trying to do 2 different movies is a definite no no!
    You will increase the chance of errors for a start. Your PC needs to dedicate itself to one job at a time. Unfortunately they are not very good at multi-tasking. Perhaps if a woman designed it it may well work!
    I use Nero & alcohol120% to make 2 copies of the SAME movie at the same time. It is also recommended that you use the same burners, with the same firmware. Although I have a Piodata 108 & a Pioneer 108, they are essentially the same as they are both made by Pioneer. They use the same NEC chip. In theory you could use an NEC rebadged 108 & it should work.
    You have to understand how a PC works in order to comprehend why you need similar hardware. It is rather like putting 2 different gearboxes on the separate axles on a 4WD vehicle. They work well independently of each other, but when you make them work together, there will be conflicts, different gear ratios etc.
    The hard drive needs to send a constant stream of data to both burners, if the burners are mismatched, the rate of flow of data will be compromised. Each burner will accept data at a different rate. Therefore the hard drive flow of data will be corrupted. This will increase the chance of burn errors no end!
    If you use 2 pieces of software at the same time you really are asking for trouble. Even if you have an all singing all dancing PC, there will simply be too many conflicts.
    Sorry to make it sound oversimplistic, I do not wish to underestimate your knowledge. My brother is a software engineer, & I was a mechanical engineer for 17 odd years. Sometimes we can come across as rather condescending!!
    Back to the question, I have used alcohol to burn same copies, It gives you the option in the step by step guide. It is really quite easy & if you have already got the image on file, it is fast. You can use as many burners as you want. You are only limited by your PC. It will take NO longer to use than if you used one burner. This is because all you are doing is splitting the signal to 2 or 3 or 4 burners. It is only data you are transferring. It is the smoothness of the transfer that is important. That is why there are so many capacitors (they act as miniature buffers to absorb sudden pulses, then release the electrons as the next device draws from them a lot smoother) on your motherboard. These help smooth the flow of electrons & prevent surges of electricity to the various components.
    A few years ago the Japanese made wire that only 1 electron can flow through. I think that is quite an achievment!

In a PC, smoothness of flow is the key to a nice system.

I hope this has been of some help.
    kind regards,
    Pulsar.
    PS, nice & smooth passing of the buck Neph!!!! LOL :)

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  8. Nephilim

It worked though didn't it? :p

9. pulsar

pulsar Active member

Oh yes it certainly did. I like a moderate challenge!!!!. He he, moderate, get it!!! LOL
    Guffaw, guffaw!!

Last edited: Jan 4, 2005
  10. locoboof

locoboof Member

Wow...thanks guys who knew...man i thought i was just off by a setting or two... well thank you guys for even taking the time to respond back...you have been very helpfull in answering my questions thanks....