1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 dvds onto 1 dual-layer?

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by allyrat, Feb 17, 2007.

1. allyrat

allyrat Member

Newbie here, I apologize if I'm asking a question already answered somewhere else... no luck in my searching/guide browsing, but maybe I just don't know what I'm looking for...

I have a rediculously tall stack of DVDs (Aussie Open tennis matches) I've burned off TV using my Sony DVDirect stand-alone burner. I'd like to reduce my stack by 50% by re-burning these matches onto dual-layer disks. I understand usually you would convert the DVD files (.ifo, .bup, .vob structure) into mpeg or something, but I want to retain as much quality as possible and it sounds like this conversion process results in loss of quality. I got HD just for this tourney, so seems like a shame to take these beautiful HD recordings and turn around and reduce the quality in the burning process.

So my question: what do I need to do to take the video_ts files from 2 existing DVDs and burn them both to 1 dual-layer DVD without doing a conversion that will reduce quality? Is this something Nero can do? I tried to use Nero Burning ROM, and it gets mad because the .vob files from Disk 1 and Disk 2 have the same file names (and I guess you can't just rename them). If not Nero, I'm happy to acquire whatever else I need.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Car.Mike

Car.Mike Active member

allyrat,
    Look into one of the programs below as I think DVDRemake will do what you want. You can do it w/ freeware as you will have to re-write the ifos as they in the state they are in now have the same numbers. For freeware I would look into Pgcedit and Ifoedit.

http://www.dimadsoft.com/products.php

3. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

DVD2One, the name says it all.

4. keithyb

keithyb Regular member

Oh man thats great. That name really does say it all haha

5. MasterRE

MasterRE Member

I was able to get 3 dvds on one dvd+r useing dvd shrink, and the quality wasn't all that bad, I think it takes a bit of tweaking to get it to look halfway deceint.

6. MysticE

MysticE Active member

Try it with Nero Recode (Remake a DVD) set to DVD-9. Seems DL Nero burning is a bit twitchy so save the files to your HD and use ImgBurn for the actual burn. Use Verbatim +R DL discs. You could also use DVDShrink the same way, if compression shows as 100%, choose 'no compression' before burning/saving to HD. I'm assuming Recode will not transcode a 100% disc.

http://www.imgburn.com/

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=1777

7. PacMan777

PacMan777 Regular member

Recode supports 8 cm DVD, DVD5, and DVD9. Shrink has settings for both DVD5 and DVD9.