1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 DVDs to 1 DVD+R

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by Bolt, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Bolt

Bolt Member

I can keep burning coasters, or I can ask. I have a movie that is comprised of 2 DVDs. I rip them, and wind up with 2 sets of VOBs.

I can successfully burn single-DVD movies to a DVD+R, but I'm not sure how to "combine" the two original DVDs to a single VOB titleset to then manipulate with IFOEdit, etc.

I thought it might be as simple as renaming the 2nd DVD VOBs to sequentially follow the 1st DVD VOBs, but that seems to lead to problems. Do I need to "join" the last VOB on the 1st DVD to the 1st VOB on the 2nd DVD somehow? Do I need to do something I haven't thought of?

2. Bolt

Bolt Member

I just re-read that, and I could be a bit clearer.

I have no problem splitting and burning single-DVD movies.

I have a movie on on 2 DVD-5s. I want to strip out everything but the main movie, join it together, and split it in a place of my choosing (more towards the middle than the original split was).

My theory is to treat them as 2 separate movies at the start - rip them, then use IFOEdit to generate new IFO files for each, then strip each of everything but the main movie, and don't split them. Leave me with 2 big VOBs, which I would join with Maxwell Sayles FileMerger, then use IFOEdit to create new IFO files for the big merged file. Then use IFOEdit to split where I want it.

Does that sound about right, or is there something fundamental that I'm missing?

3. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

More confusing than the original post!!!! :-(

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 28, 2002
  4. Bolt

Bolt Member

Really? Perhaps I'm expressing myself poorly then.

Usually, people want to split 1 DVD-9 to 2 DVD-5s. I want to merge 2 DVD-5s to 1 DVD-5 (which will be do-able for size once I strip everything but the main movie).

Does that make it clearer? It's the "merge" part I'm not sure how to handle.

5. Wabbit

Wabbit Guest

Try this instead

1. Id the vob set that has the movie.
    2. Decrypt just that set to a directory on HD.
    (I use DVDdecrypter) Make sure you only have the vob's, nothing else.
    3. Now pick which Vobs you want on the second DVD and move them to a second directory.
    4. Use IFOEdit to create new IFO's for each directory. (create new IFO's button)
    5. Test using DVDPLAY in IFOEDIT.
    6. Burn on RW for testing before using a -R/+R

I'm doing this from memory, but I think I got it right. Just to be safe test first. You may have to use VOBEDIT to join the vobs first, but I don't think so.
    If it sounds like what you want, try it and post the results. I've done this before but since it leaves a lot of unused space, I went back to adding in menus and bonus material, so haven't done it in a while. If it doesn't work, post and I'll look into it for ya and re-post.

Wabbit

6. Bolt

Bolt Member

Thanks, Wabbit, but part of the issue is that I want to be able to make a more "midpoint" split than would be accounted for by simply picking the last few vobs and putting them on a 2nd disc. Also, remember that I'm dealing with 2 separate vob sets - one from the first original disc, one from the second.

7. bretware

bretware Guest

Rip just the chapters you want on disk one, If the vob's are coming from different DVD's place make two folders disk1part1 and disk1part2. Rip out the crap you do not want,make SURE you do the same thing to both folders.Then place vob from first folder into a new "movie" folder you will have VTS01_1 thru VTS01_x.
    In the second folder disk1part2 rename the vob to the next in line,then move them to the movie folder.now use ifoEdit and create IFO's,BURN!

goodluck,BWARE

8. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

I tried that option before, however, most of the time, the dvd wont play the chapters in order. If you experience that problem, Bolts, tell me and I'll tell you of a way to put them in order. Otherwise, forget what I just said, Maybe I just have a "Picky DVDplayer" !

9. bretware

bretware Guest

Make sure you check your vob's before placing them in your movie folder. Here's how, when you riped out the extra stuff you made new vob's and you should have checked make new IFO's, open a DVD player like power DVD,open the new video TS file and click thru the chapters real fast, then fast foward and back it up a few times. did it stop playing? if it did somethings not right. Check the sectors again along with the back-up (BUP),check all the file names and numbers, and test again.If they pass the test they always work.

It's jumping chapters because the laser is lost, your navigation pointer are messed up.
    Here's one thing to check sometimes when I try to make the new vob's in ifoedit94, I tell the program to create IFO's while stripping or removing vodID's at the same time, it acts strange. I tell it to create in a different folder and then I start. the program acts like it is changing the files but it isn't, no new file are created in the new folder. This could be the reason your movies navigation pointers are messed up,because maybe they didn't get rewriten

Bware

10. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

or u can use vobedit to merge them vobs together in the orders you wanted. When it is done you can finish the final steps (vobs extra, get vts sectors)!

11. bretware

bretware Guest

You realy don't need to merge the vob's because when ifoedit corrects the navigation pointers it repacks the vob's. And thats also why we correct both folders before we place the Vob's together in the movie folder, to correct the Nav's.
    Now all Vob's should be .99GB and the last one won't be complete. but like I said in the last post,make sure ifoedit really made the new Vob's, I guess this would be one way to tell.

Bware

12. bretware

bretware Guest

If you can get this down there are a few more easy tricks you can use to save space, one is that you can cut out the credits when there part of the last chapter(I'm seeing this alot), by doing nothing more than setting a max vob size in your ripping program. You can tell the program to rip just the last chapter and enter the vod's size, say 50 MB, It will rip the chapter in a bunch of 50 MB VOB's. You want to get the end of the movie in the fisrt vob. so adjust the size and keep ripping until you get what you need. Then correct the nav's in that one VOB. Then you rename it as the last VOB.

13. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

i guess something went wrong then. Cuz that's what I did before I tried the "vobs merge option". And the disc didn't play properly. Hmmm....

14. bretware

bretware Guest

you can merge,but the vob's nav's must be perfect and the same streams rip out.(they must match)So correct the vob's before and after you merge. make the movie files for both sets of vob's then check them the way I said.then merge the vob's.

I don't do this much because there is little need, I've done some audio concert DVD's and to get rid of the intro (so I could save space) I riped the first chapter into a bunch of 76 MB vob's, Now what I wanted started at the second vob,I trashed the first vob and merged the rest of the 76 MB files. Very easy and this is the fist time I've told anyone about this way. I have a bunch of other strange ways of doing things but they work.

anyone got the ifoedit95? I dowloaded 95 but I is really 94

Bware

15. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

I have it, I have version 0.91 and version 0.95, which one you like to have ?

16. bretware

bretware Guest

I would like 95, I think I read somewhere that the .94 has the bug I was talking about, and that why it won't rewrite the files correctly.

where can I get 95,I've been looking everywhere,and how come when you download .95 yu get 94? do yu know?
    thanks Bware

17. omegaboy

omegaboy Guest

i dont remember where or when i downloaded it, but I have it in my PC. Give me your email address (though "Private Message", don't post it here) and I'll send you version 95.