1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 gig AVI barrier,4 gig max

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by tusken, Dec 24, 2003.

1. tusken

tusken Guest

Yes, I'm running just windows 98 SE. I thought you needed a laugh! Need to go to Windows XP so I can make dvd copy on my own PC, not my friends. What do you reccommend? Is there different versions of XP? Upgrade version or full install version? I like to go with upgrade (money issue) but not if it won't work.I just found out about the 2 and 4 gig file barrier making a AVI movie file. What crap learn something new everyday.Is there anyway to get 98 SE to go over 4 gig file max? Helppppp

2. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya tusken,

2 versions of XP, Home & Professional (if I HAVE to use XP, I ALWAYS use Pro, I find the Home version SO RESTRICTIVE, Your Mileage May Vary!!)

If I have a choice, I use 2000 Pro (same/better functionality, better stability - easier to use, looks much like 98SE, I can't stand that poncy Tellytubbies theme of XP and all the useless eyecandy; XP EATS resources).

Warning: DO NOT use an upgrade version of whatever you choose unless you enjoy self-abuse, look for an OEM version of either Windows 2000 Pro OR XP Pro and take the time to install it properly (if you try to cut corners or take shortcuts you WILL find the gotcha's later on & waste time etc.)

There is a way to get 98SE to use an NTFS formatted disk, but you can say bye-bye to what little stability 98SE had if you do it!!

Have Fun...

3. tusken

tusken Guest

So your saying to use Windows 2000? Then I won't have the 4 gig barrier? I thought only XP can over come 4 gig barrier? I do not like look of XP at all. I like simple things that work! XP seems to be all fluff. I would buy Windows 2000 version in a second if it gets me over that 4 gig barrier.If it does is either Standard and Pro editions. Thanks for help.

4. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Yeah, if you like 98, and don't plan on upgrading your hardware(as drchips is right, xp eats resources) then go with 2k, there really is only one version of windows 2k(asside from the server versions, but you'll know because they are quite expensive) and that professional. I used 2k for 3 years and never had a problem, the only reason I am using xp is because the processor I bought uses hyper-threading, and I wanted to get my money's worth out of my computer. I am sad to say that since installing xp(a full clean install) I've had to reinstall 5 times in the last 5 months(though only 1 of those reinstalls wasn't truly xp's fault) Im a serious windows tweaker, and I guess, since there are so many more tweaks for xp, that windows isn't able to cope with some of the things I've changed. Anyway back on topic, if you want to copy dvds and like the way 98 looks, then go with 2k(I can't believe it orriginally said xp...), its quite similar, except far more secure._X_X_X_X_X_[small]This is an amazingly imformative site with many places to find information and help. Please support it.
    [​IMG][/small]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2003
  5. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya tusken,

Yep, go Win2000 (do a totally CLEAN install, no cheating).

Win2000 & XP are both NTFS systems, files > 4 gig will not be a problem.

[bold]WARNING:[/bold] AVI files CAN be a special case in that a lot of standard Micro$haft product (media player etc) cannot handle LARGE AVI files and consequently report corruption, this is true for playback & creating, though applications that output or input AVI files using DirectShow CAN handle them... Odd & goes against common sense, I know!!.

Another thing with Windo$e, selecting a LARGE media file (AVI) in Windows Explorer can cause the system to SEEM to hang (100% cpu, no response), sometimes it hangs totally, other times it releases itself within a couple of minutes.. This is NOT corruption.

AVI files don't have an index catalog in the header, when you select the file, Windows looks for the catalog, doesn't find it so happily goes and scans the WHOLE FILE, checking the structure as it goes.

If this is a problem for you, Microsoft KnowledgeBase can help with a workaround.

BTW, msb5150 says right at the end of his post
    I think he MEANT to recommend Win2000.

Have Fun...

6. msb5150

msb5150 Regular member

Totally meant 2k, and I went ahead to fixed that, how embarrassing, even using xp I know its less secure than 2k...

7. tusken

tusken Guest

Stop messing with my mind there is not much left. Totally confused when I read that. Now I feel better. lol. I hate to spend $100 bucks for a 4 year old Operating system but I need it anyone have a copy they want to sell for cheap!

8. drchips

drchips Active member

Hahaha,

Wot you mean 100 bucks for Win2000 Pro?

30 seconds on EBAY got these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3648001558&category=41885

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3649555758&category=41885

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3648522675&category=41885

etc.
    etc.

You could always try & buy a spare copy from one of your local businesses (lots of them got 2000 when they bought kit, but downgraded to 98 coz that's wot they used).

Take deep breaths, think calm, it aint worth losing your mind over ;-)

Have Fun...

9. frank48

frank48 Guest

I use Pinnacle instant copy on windows me and it seems to burn over 4gig, or have I got it wrong. Nothing has been mentioned about ME. The only time it does not like a straight burn is when I shrink to fit. I am only a couple of days old at shrinking a dvd but have been burning the odd dvd for about 12 months.

10. tusken

tusken Guest

I didnt realize it was so cheap. I did do a scearch on Ebay and there were some wanting $75 and up for Windows 2000 that is why I thought that was the going rate! Guess I should have looked into it more. OK now can you find me a DVD burner + - for about $50.00 big ones. LOL

11. tusken

tusken Guest

I was told Windows Me has the 4 gig barrier to like Windows98. Experienced the barrier first hand on 98SE. I don't know about WIN ME. When did Me even come out? I never hear anyone ever mention Windows ME? Why? Just a guy trying to burn some DVD's and it seems like a pain in the ass. Need this, Need that, can't do this can't do that, 10,000 diffrent programs, DVD+, DVD- DVD-ram ,need this version of that version, can't use this brand with that brand , need this burner with this disc,. I need simple! Put source disc in one tray, blank in another and burn and watch. DAM I FEEL GOOD NOW!

YOU Said "but have been burning the odd dvd for about 12 months."
    What is the Odd DVD hmmmm

12. drchips

drchips Active member

frank48,
    have a look at the files that pinnacle uses/generates & the files burned onto the dvd (not one of them is over 1 gig, yes?), WinME does have the 4 gig barrier (based on the old 16-bit kernel & FAT32), If YOU are happy having M.E. then all is sweet for you, but when you start pushing the system & hitting the wall like others have, remember this thread (bookmark it now).

tusken,
    if you wanted SIMPLE (no-brainer) you should't have got a PC, they are ALMOST as frustratingly difficult to understand as women - the main difference is, with PC's you CAN find a solution & master them with work (apologies to all members of the fairer sex <grin>).

PC's are just tools, programs are just tools...

if you choose the right tools for the job, the job goes easier (but you have to understand what the job IS, a poorly defined goal will only hamper your efforts).

What we here are trying to do is help you define your problem, help you understand it, guide you to selecting the correct tools for the defined problem AND FINALLY reach your desired goal.

Anyone who thinks/hopes that this is an easy/quick/simple process is going to be disappointed.

BUT, when you do finally master it, YEAAHHH!!!
    The satisfaction of beating it, the chase, the hunting, the victory...
    Why do you think so many guys consider their PC's to be female???

Have Fun...