1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 mics of audio from 1 mic output input

Discussion in 'Audio' started by Igrapeape, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Igrapeape

Igrapeape Member

I wasn't sure if this was audio or camcorder section. I decided on audio because I'm trying to record audio, and it can be the same thing if I decide to switch to a portable recorder or not.

So I have a decent 2012 era camcorder which has a headphone and a mic out. I am going to be doing a few interviews and at the present time will be using 2 wired lavalier microphones, but I only have one input/output to the camera.

I think ok, no problem I'll take one of those small splitter boxes which allows you to use 2 sets of headphones and I'll use 2 microphones instead. Well that doesn't work LOL.

Is there a way to get this done, secondly would be is there a way to get this done inexpensively. One person at the store suggested a mixer, but it was all XLR and these are those small Iphone sized plugs so that wouldn't work.

Am I missing something here? A cable, or some small $50 mixer which I plug in 2 microphones into and then can plug some cord from a mixer into the camcorder. I'm so clueless and hope someone can help me please.

Thanks very much, have a good weekend.

2. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

If your camcorder has the phono type connectors on it you can always buy adapters to connect it between the mixer and the camcorder.It shouldn't be hard to find one.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  3. Igrapeape

Igrapeape Member

First, thanks much for your reply, I appreciate it.

I'm not sure that I'm following you. Could you elaborate please?

The camcorder has the same type jack that an iphone, digital recorder, gameboy, PSP, etc. has.

But I need to get 2 wired mics from 1 port, that's the issue. In addition I don't have a clue what mixer to get, or if one is even needed.

4. JST1946

JST1946 Regular member

5. Igrapeape

Igrapeape Member

Hello,

Those are made for headphones, they combine the signal, but dont know what to do with 2 separate different incoming signals.

I need to be able to hear me ask the questions and them answer the question on the finished product.

Thanks for giving it a go thought, I appreciate it.

6. Mez

Mez Active member

lgrapeape, the only person that had a clue to solve your problem was the guy at the shop. Splitters work fine when you are taking one stream and splitting it into 2 identical streams. What you want to do is far more advanced than your equipment. You will need to upgrade huge, to a camcorder that has stereo audio track then feed the mics into a mixer that feeds into your stereo input mic jack. It will be much cheaper to buy a stereo audio recorder. Mixers take separate mono feeds into a multi track audio. Each mic is on a different track. Usually at least the volumes must be adjusted so one does not over power to other.

If you want to keep is simple use one mic between the 2 sources.

Is this to be voice or music? That would also dictate what kind of equipment you would need.

7. michaeljgilbert

michaeljgilbert Member