1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 movie files after using Gordian Knot?

Discussion in 'DivX / XviD' started by piyota, Apr 21, 2005.

1. piyota

piyota Member

I follow instruction on this website :
    http://www.rita.lt/guides/GKnot_DVDtoAVI.htm
    Everything is doing Ok, until I check the results, it produces 2 big file, one is the abc.avi, the other is abc_movie.avi, the abc.avi has sound, the other doesn't, I don't know why it produces 2 files when I only need 1(the abc.avi). How to set it up to produce only 1 movie?
    The other prob is:
    -I ripped my movie from the DVD, the original file has a width is 720, but in this step in the instruction above:
    [​IMG]
    it only allows me to make the width become 704 (not 720), so how to make it keeps the original width 720? Thanks

2. The_OGS

The_OGS Active member

Hi piyota,
    The resolution of your finished AVI is not going to be 720x360 or whatever; the vertical resolution must be divisible by 16 and the horizontal must be divisible by 32.
    GordianKnot enforces a certain relationship between H and V within the aspect ratio, so if you have an anamorphic film on the DVD, GKnot will not allow you to put the heavy 'stretch' on it - it makes sure you are approximately within the aspect ratio specified for the film.
    There are basically 3 'preferred' sizes:
    For 2.35:1 (Panavision widescreen) film - 704x304
    For 1.85:1 (35mm widescreen) film - 640x352
    For 1.33:1 (4:3 'fullscreen') film - 512x384
    There is all kinds of 'width' available but, the big challenge is vertical resolution (height) which is maxed out at 304 pixels in a widescreen film.
    So for the other aspect ratio sizes, it is useful to reduce the width (while the height is going to increase anyway) so you keep a consistent pixel count on the screen.
    In other words, you could encode a 1.85:1 film using the 704 pixel width (like a 2.35:1 film) but, you will have almost 300,000 pixels on the screen - WAY more than a 2.35:1 film which, at 704x304 gives 214,016 pixels.
    The 3 sizes recommended (above) all consistently deliver approximately 200,000 pixels, and so do not 'discriminate' based on aspect ratio...
    This is a somewhat tricky concept - can you see what I mean?
    Also with GKnot, it follows an AVS script (it acts as a frameserver for VDubMod) and many people using DivX codec will encode the closing credits separately (at a lower bitrate, which throws more bits at the main program in a long film).
    GKnot will write 'abc_movie.avi' and 'abc_credits.avi' and then, once it appends them together and muxes the audio, you get the final product 'abc.avi' :^)
    If you look closely, you will find options like 'Save files for all passes' or 'Delete intermediate files (1/2 disc space)'
    Superstitious old-timers save EVERYTHING and delete NOTHING, LoL, because if things fall apart halfway through, they are going to want to try to pick up where they left off ;^)
    But that was back when each pass took maybe 4 hours - these days things can go much quicker, so starting over again is not such a huge tragedy.
    Anyway, good for you - you will get excellent results with GordianKnot!
    We will help you if you have any problems,
    Regards

3. piyota

piyota Member

So there is no way to not to produce the abc_movie.avi without sound? It took me 4 hrs to complete everything /movie
    Thank you