1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 problems: aspect ratio and media player classic

Discussion in 'Video playback problems' started by red_ice, Aug 10, 2007.

1. red_ice

red_ice Member

hey guys. i just got a new laptop which is widescreen. if i play any avi clips on windows media player and real player with full screen, i get these black bars at the side of the screen. how do i make the clip widescreen so that there are no black bars?

i can make it widescreen on media player classic but that has another problem. on media player classic, all the videos i watch, be it a dvd or avi video clip, the video is pixelated. why is that so? on my desktop the video quality is fine but on my laptop it isn't. note that when i play the same clips on real player or win media player, the video is of perfect quality and not pixelated at all. is it cos media player classic is not compatible with vista?

if there is no solution to these problems, can u recommend me any other good player where i can watch videos in widescreen (no black bars)?

2. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

the black bars on either side - that is because you are looking at a video picture that has a 4:3 pixel ratio when your windows display is set to a 16:9 pixel ratio (so there is no picture to display at the sides) - if you set your windows display properties to display in a 4:3 ratio rather than a 16:9 then the black bars will be gone but all the people will look short and fat...

media player classic - have a look thru the video options - it sounds like you are using a incorrect video render...

3. red_ice

red_ice Member

hey thanks! how to set the display to 4:3? oh, as for media player classic, i just downloaded an earlier version of it and it works fine. dunno what the problem is with the latest version :S

4. nickberry

nickberry Regular member

glad to hear mpc is working for you!

about the 4:3 / 16:9 thing 800x600 and 1024x768 are 4:3, 16:9 would be 852x480 and 1280X720 (there abouts..) set it in the control panel > display propeties > settings..