1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 PS3s, 2 Different problems

Discussion in 'PS3' started by ShamMike, Aug 31, 2011.

1. ShamMike

ShamMike Member

1. The first PS3 is a 60GB backwards compatible model. The issue is that it won't read disk. I can put a game in and eject it but it's like the PS3 doesnt even know there is a disk. The thinking clock in the top right doesnt spin or anything...

2. I got a 80GB PS3 thinking I could use the drive out of it but it is in fact different. Silly me didn't research it. The issue with this PS3 is that it has the "Red Screen of Death". I did read something on youtube about using a PSP as a jig to unlock service mode then downgrade the ps3. Not sure if it was legit or not but I couldn't get it to work with the PSP.

Any help would be appreciated. I would at least like to get the 60GB working.

2. Eisherz

Eisherz Active member

With a dead laser the PS3 would still try to read the disk and you would still see the clock. Did you get the console preoned and preopened? Sounds to me that the drive board isn't the original one that came with the console. What firmware version do you have on the PS3?

3. ShamMike

ShamMike Member

It is used. I can see the clock but it just doesn't spin like its reading... firmware 3.70. Do I need a whole new drive? Or a certain part? I took the cover off to make sure the cable and ribbon were connected and they are.