1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 red lights .. not 3??

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by BryanNH_3, Apr 26, 2007.

1. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

Hi Everyone ... just sending in a message for a friend who has had some sort of issue with his 360 (he's on his 2nd with the same errors now) ... When we play any game, after varying times, the console ring goes to 2 red lights, not the typical 3 red lights like most people have. It gets warm, but we both got our xBoxs from the same place on the same day, and I never have the issue he has (even with the same games). I don't like the idea of the towel trick, I think he would open it again ... he already cut an opening above one of the main heat sinks and runs a PC case fan on top of it, so it has more than enough air flow inside.

To me it almost seems like this is the GPU heating up too much more-so than the main processor, but I don't know ... all I do know is that its really annoying!

Any information about what causes 2 red lights instead of 3 would be great to have, along with any possible fixes ... Thank you!

2. babaloo

babaloo Guest

About 1 week ago I had the same problem with mine. I don't care if it is one, two or three red lights. The red lights pretty much indicate that your friends 360 is fried! I only had mine for 1 and a half years and I got the red lights. I contacted Xbox support and they stated that it was a problem with the mother board or something like that. I've already received another 360 in return for my old one. I don't know if it is a new or refurbished one but I got it back without much waiting time so I guess the customer service was pretty good or was it? It cost me 140.00 dollars to get mine fixed and I also received a 1 year warranty with it.

3. Oner

Oner Moderator Staff Member

Not to rub it in babaloo (or that this is directed at you) but this is what pisses me off about the MS and the 360. As a customer you bought an expensive system that you now have to pay AGAIN to fix when in reality the console maker put together a bunch of crappy hardware to begin with and it is 100% THEIR fault the system breaks. So lets do the numbers

1) 360 Premium $400
    2) Pay to fix $140

That in itself is $540 plus tax on the $400 not to mention the cost of Live (5 years = $270), wireless ($100) and ONLY HD Video playback $200

Now I understand that you don't NEED the additional stuff I spoke about but what about the person who did buy the additional stuff and their 360 broke? Now they have to spend ANOTHER $140 to fix a system that has a consistent issue with breaking that the maker will not admit to. And they are committed to spend the money to fix it as they invested a whole lot of money on what is "supposedly" the best system in the world...

I'm sorry but the day my 360 breaks I will 100% take it to the gun range and take my frustrations out on it like I did to one of my Xbox's!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  4. BryanNH_3

BryanNH_3 Regular member

do you think they'd just fix the motherboard on it for the $140 even with a hole cut in the top of it?

5. babaloo

babaloo Guest

Oner, I agree with you 100 percent. I bought the Premium360 and it only lasted me 1 and a half years. I bought my old atari 2600 back in 1979. I've had it stored in a attic where the temp. probably gets to around 180 degress or maybe over that. When I want to play my atari, i take it out of the attic, dust the spider webs off of it and just plug it in and play. My XBOX360 sits in my house like royalty. I have it in a well ventilated place, keep it clean and have a high speed fan blowing on it to keep it from overheating. You are right there is no excuse, none for the 360 only lasting that long!!! It's down right disgusting and I will not buy another 360 or PS3. The price is too high and the quality is too low!!!

6. theridges

theridges Guest

you only have to pay $140 if you have voided your warranty...(removing Silver microsoft sticker)
    if you dont remove that sticker then they will fix it for free...

Answer to the 2 Red Lights
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/907533
    system is overheating..

7. lilpaki

lilpaki Member

i dont believe thats true, if its out of the 1 year warranty they wont fix it for free, regardless of the warranty seal

8. RuPtUrE

RuPtUrE Member

If it has passed the 1yr warranty and you have peeled the sticker off by tampering (opening) on your xbox they will not work on it.

It is has passed the 1yr warranty and you did not tamper with it they will repair it at 140 dollars.

If it is under 1yr they will repair it free..

This is what i have been told by microsoft employees.

9. theridges

theridges Guest

yea....aslong as its before the year warranty goes and you dont open it the repair is free and micros0ft pays for shipping..