1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 rings, but not overheating?

Discussion in 'Xbox 360' started by Lactis, Mar 20, 2012.

1. Lactis

Lactis Member

OK I have a 360, that either right on start up, or a couple of minutes in shuts off. It will get really loud even though I have only had for not even a few seconds, and shows 2 rings, which I guess means it's overheating, even thought it's not.

I was reading I might just have to use some thermal paste, or something about an X clamp, but was wondering will the "towel trick" work on this one too?

I will eventully pick up another one, when I have time for work which should be this summer so I just want to keep it working till then.

2. palwill

palwill Regular member

dont do the towel trick, it will only make things worse. either fix it with new thermal paste or reball it, or just sell it and get a new one.

3. MDSP

MDSP Regular member

Towel trick wouldn't do anything... I had the same issue yesterday and was able to fix it.

Issue:
    Unit gives 2 red lights after a couple of seconds during boot up. 2 red light = Overheating.

Investigation:
    Used an infrared thermometer and found that CPU's temp spikes up to 70C with less than 2 seconds of boot up without heat sink.

Repair:
    Reapplication of thermal paste

Cause of Problem:
    - Dried up thermal paste

Hope this helps