1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Speed or Not 2 Speed (Burning at 4x is the Question)

Discussion in 'DVD±R for advanced users' started by kwebster, Apr 5, 2004.

1. kwebster

kwebster Member

At what speed are the majority of you burning your DVD backups? I've been able to burn both at 2x and 4x, but have had more problems at 4x -- and with various media.

I'm trying to determine if the media is the problem or if backing up a DVD at 4x is just asking too much. I've tried 4x backups with Princo, Ritek/Ridata G04, Prodisc, and Platinum (sold only at MicroCenter) and have had mostly negative results. Now let me qualify the term "negative." By negative, I mean that the burn occurs successfully, but playback/verification fails.

Platinum is utter garbage -- although my first 25 burned wonderfully at 4x. The next 25 presented 18 duds. The Princos performed the best of all, yielding a 85-90% success rate. Probably the most surprising to me was the poor performance of the much heralded Ritek and Prodisc brands. Testing on both yielded a 100% failure rate at 4x! None of the burned discs would test successfully. I even tried burning one of the Prodisc 4x's at 2x to no avail.

However, when it comes to 2x media, my burns are flawless (99% success rate). I use Verbatim Datalife 2x media. Unfortunately, I'm not sure if my success with 2x is due to the superior Verbatim product, or if 4x is too fast for video backup. Evidence would suggest not, since I'm able to get good results with Princo 4x's.

Opinions, please.

2. herbsman

herbsman Moderator Staff Member

Maybe try a search on a firmware forum for latest f/w revision (for your particular writer)...

3. drchips

drchips Active member

Hiya kwebster,

Nice title for the thread, BTW ;)

You seem to have found the limits for the performance envelope for you particular combination of:
    PC
    Software
    Configuration
    Writer
    Firmware
    Method
    Media

And attempting to burn @ 4x is pushing it past that Safe Operating Area.

You have achieved success @ 2x.
    Be thankful for that.

As you can see from the list above, the whole issue is COMPLICATED.

If you want more info/assistance/guidance/ideas, we will need more info (base your info on the list above).

Have Fun...
    _X_X_X_X_X_[small]Life is just more of the same:[/small]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2004
  4. pulsar

pulsar Active member

I use Packard bell media with my platinum, I have only ever got ONE yes ONE coaster with my set up. I have backed up many DVDs & have learned it is a very delicate process. My system will read a 7.5 gig DVD movie in 50 mins & burn the same in no more than 25 mins. I think that is reasonable considering the amount of info in 7.5gig.

P.S. Hows it going DrChips you stallion you!!