1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 week horror

Discussion in 'PS2 - DVD backup discussion' started by scythe00, Mar 27, 2005.

1. scythe00

scythe00 Member

I have been backing up PS2 games for a wile now. But when I back up a game, after 2 weeks or more the game doesn’t work anymore. When I first back them up they work fine, but after a wile the quality starts to deteriorate and there are faults in the game, like the music stops or some objects don’t have textures on them. Then after a wile the game doesn’t work at all. Could someone tell me why this happens please?

2. Troy1

Troy1 Member

that could be for two reasons mon nami, if you have a modchip, maybe that is causing the problem, if your using swap magic, then maybe the disk media your using, the preffered choice mainly are quality ritek g04, never had any problems with ritek myself, so try maybe that media an see if it brings you anyluck, good luck mon nami, hope you manage to solve the problem

Peace, Troy

3. scythe00

scythe00 Member

Thanks, im using swap magic and the cheapest media I could find. I am going to order some ritek g04 and give them a try.

4. scythe00

scythe00 Member

5. hursty

hursty Active member

look ok,good price

i buy mine from here

www.svpcommunications.com

6. ellis315

ellis315 Member

hey scythe00 did you order those dvd-r's and were they any good because if they were i might get some. thanx

7. pro`noob

pro`noob Regular member

never use those cheap no brand media. might as well use a piece of cardboard cut into a circle :p

also you say they work at first... you arent keeping the discs near too much heat or sun after they are burned are you? the heat will warp the plastic of the disc and then it wont read correct.

8. scythe00

scythe00 Member

Nah, all the reviews say they are crap.

9. scythe00

scythe00 Member

What ones from this site do you get?

10. hursty

hursty Active member

just read the reviews,like you say,mixed results
    looks like they are not what they seem

check the link i gave you earlier

svp,aka the blankdisc shop

http://www.blankdiscshop.co.uk/acatalog/Inkjet_printable_DVD_R.html

these are the real mc'coy's

CODE [bold]3193[/bold]

i have bought quite a few from here,all seem good,i have bought ritek's/datawrites/datasafe
    i always look for the code,as some are cmc,and you dont want them

Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  11. titch71

titch71 Guest

I've been using the datawrite yellow 8x with no probs and they have the CMC dye bought from ebuyer. Was a previous user of the datawrite yellow 4x and had no probs(didn't use for PS2 backups). I had borrowed some datawrite red 3x backups and although games would start to load they would always hang....I guess what works for some doesn't work for others. I haven't been backing up PS2 for a while so cannot comment on how long the backups will last. I know a friend who uses the yellow 8x and unless he burns at 1x the video is very choppy.

One thing that seems weird to me though is that i have created an image from a backup with choppy video and created a new backup from the image and the video has been fine, i have done this a couple of times. Has anyone had any similar experiences to this?

{DV 3170} Datawrite Yellow 8x DVD-R in Spindle Tubs of 25

The latest incarnation of the Datawrite Yellow DVD-R

ADVinfo: CMC MAG. AE1

12. hursty

hursty Active member

indeed,i have
    i have copies of games that wont work with swapmagic,but work fine with my modchip,nothing strange about that.....
    however.....
    from this copy that dont work with swapmagic,i have made another copy,with different media,and it now works with swapmagic,
    so i cant put it down to the media,because the copy that dont work with swapmagic,works with my modchip(and no,this is not down to the game needing a patch or anything)

all in all,it seems to me that loading games with swapmagic appears to make the ps2 even more picky than it already is.
    so anyone having problems loading games with swapmagic,i would suggest copying the copy onto different media,and see if the results are any different

13. titch71

titch71 Guest

Hursty,

I suppose it is to be expected really.

I presume original pressed cd's and dvd's are manufactured to a set minimum standard.

There are several distributers all trying to compete in a very competative market where the price of media has plummeted over the past few years and continue's to do so.

At the end of the day you get what you pay for really, it's just a shame you don't get any warranty on backups these days........................

14. hursty

hursty Active member

i think you are missing the point i made,
    we all know swapmagic is harder/ more difficult to use when it comes down to loading games,
    however nothing can explain why a perfectly good quality backup on a good quality disc wont work,with swapmagic,(when it should)
    yet when i copy the copy(the one that dont work),onto a different media it works.
    i only use good quality media for my games,it just seems to me that using swapmagic complicates things even more so

15. titch71

titch71 Guest

Yeah i see your point and agree with you swap magic does make things more difficult. There is bound to be limitations to how much swap magic can do as it is only software and also implications as it is not bypassing the checks as a mod chip would.

As i don't understand the exact intricises of how swap magic, modchip's and the protection systems work i find it difficult to explain why we would get these types of issues.

I suppose if the backup wasn't quite 100% i.e. the disk quality wasn't great even if it was decent media and the dodgy area was a part of the disk that the mod chip bypassed and the swap magic didn't then that would explain the game not loading with swap magic.

I have certainly come across disks that wouldn't read ok in a dvd drive and would read ok in a dvd writer and have come across instances where a disk could be read ok in one writer and not the other.

Have you ever come across a backup that would never work with swap magic and would work ok with your mod even if you made a few backups on a specific brand of media then tried another brand and it was ok.

16. titch71

titch71 Guest

Hursty

Just to clarify my point above as it didn't come out quite right.

'Have you ever come across a backup that would never work with swap magic and would work ok with your mod even if you made a few backups on a specific brand of media then tried another brand and it was ok.'

I know that you have had a game working ok with your mod but not with sm on media (A). Then backed up the same disk to other media (B) using media (A) and it worked with sm but was wondering if you had tried on the same media (A) and it still didn't work.

Jeeze did i just make it sound worse......

17. hursty

hursty Active member

no, ive never tried copying a copy,onto the same media it came from when i have had a problem,there dont seem much point

just to clarify

[bold]MEDIA 'A'[/bold]

works with modchip,[bold]DONT[/bold] work with swapmagic

[bold]MEDIA 'B'[/bold]

copied game from [bold]MEDIA 'A'[/bold],onto [bold]MEDIA 'B'[/bold]

results=[bold]MEDIA 'B'[/bold]

works with modchip/swapmagic

18. titch71

titch71 Guest

I know there does not seem to be much logic to a lot if the issues people have but i reckon the ps2 laser has a lot to do with it. So many people have problems with different media that others dont have. I don't know enough about the technical side but reckon if a better quality laser was installed in the ps2 then a lot of these media issues would disappear.

19. scythe00

scythe00 Member

Thanks for all your help, im going to order some {DV 3193} Ritek Silver 'Frosted' Inkjet Printable (4x) DVD-R. If that doesn’t work it is probably my "artec DVD+/-RW" or my Ps2 lens.