1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

20x DVD Burners?????

Discussion in 'DVD / Blu-ray drives' started by RottenKid, Dec 2, 2007.

1. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

Ok, I see that companies released 20X and 18X dvd-r DVD burners, but how do you burn at those speeds, when "correct me if Im wrong" I can only find media rated to 16X. Does the device override that, because I know early in the day the media had that speed encoded on the disk, and the drive picked that up, atleast with early CDs when i bought my first CD burner for 70$ that was 32x12x48 and the disk was rated for 16X "cd" nero held up and limited me from going past 16X. lol those were the days....

2. iluvendo

iluvendo Active member

Hi, you are correct, without media rated for those speeds,one cannot burn at 18 or 20x. It's just a matter of bragging rights.

3. ZoSoIV

ZoSoIV Active member

good media will over burn to 20x (Taiyo Yuden or Verbatim) a few people do it with good results but i don't recommend it.

Max is 20x here vvvvvvvvv

[​IMG]

actually I've never tried a 20x burn a may do it for the heck of it and see how it turns out

Last edited: Dec 3, 2007
  4. varnull

varnull Guest

My standalone dvd players can't even read these 16x disks.

In the burner they are made on any video burn above the usual 4x-6x is rubbish.. blocky and full of glitches (verb 16x)

5. LOCOENG

LOCOENG Moderator Staff Member

I have yet to get 16X media in my 16X burner to reach 16X, I think it is just limitations with my current system as 14.5X is all I've been able to muster. As others have eluded to it's not a great idea to burn at these speeds anyway. Some of the newer drives do allow for over speeding the burn though, but not all.

6. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

hi :)
    only tried it once and managed 12x
    don't bother me much anyway cus i only burn at 1/2 rated speed. except on my 8x media which i burn at 6x

7. LOCOENG

There must be a glitch in the system...I see gurnard posting. :)

8. greensman

greensman Regular member

Don't scare him LOCO... lol.

RottenKid....lol...nice nick btw...

I've burned a few at 20X and the results were mixed at best. You have to have a VERY clean system and HIGH quality media (normally) to achieve consistent GOOD burns at anything over 12X imho. ;)

Many of the manufacturers have 18X-20X burners and most of them will burn at 18X-20X if the f/w has incorporated the MID for that speed of burn. Like some of these guys have mentioned I wouldn't recommend it if you want GOOD quality burns. jm2c there.

NEW rule of thumb for me is 8X burns on most media and some even do well at 12X but you have to find the "sweet spot" for the system and media you have, it's a personal thing when it comes to burns and speed. What works for me may not work for someone else is what I'm saying. ;)

If you decide to get a new burner just ask and one of use will assist you in your choices. I would do some research first to see what you like and you may already have a personal favorite company.

Recommended companies to L@@K at. ;)

Lite-On
    Sony (NEC/Optiarc)
    LG
    Samsung
    Pioneer

btw I own at least 2 drives from each company mentioned above.

...gm

9. LOCOENG

Good advice as always greensman...so you have an Optiarc burner? How does it stack up against some of the old NEC drives such as my still kickin' 3540a?

10. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

@ at my favorite mod (next to binkie that is)
    i'm only following orders on posting. very difficult for a serial lurker. lol

hi GM :) you don't get rid of me that easy

@LOCO

mine were rubbish...took em out and put my old lite-on's back in. so if you want 3 not yet run in O/NEC i'll post them to you for nowt...gratas...free...for your new build

11. pernal

pernal Regular member

@gurnard
    What you didn't like about the new Optiarcs? I hadn't bought any yet; My 3500's are still woking with very high milage. I was looking/considering the Optiarcs for replacements. I started with NEC, an 1100 4x dvd burner and 321 Studios DVDXCopy Xpress. That was how I found AfterDawn in 2003?;the updates and such. Not many old members here anymore;I lurk and read mostly.
    Burn On,
    Russell

PS. Let us know what problems with those drives.Thanks.

12. varnull

varnull Guest

Samsung SH-S182D

Burns ok.. not very fast, and above 5x on my system things get hairy..
    Reads.. not so good.. I far prefer my old faithful NEC 3550a

13. greensman

greensman Regular member

If he doesn't want them I'll take them gurnard. :D Which models are they?? PM me for an addy. ;)

LOCO I don't have a 3540 to compare to. Sorry. I've read that the 7170 and 7173 models are similar to the 45xx series. I have the 7170 and it burns great with some Liggy & Dees f/w. :D

I also have the 7190 but it doesn't have the NEC chipset that the 7170 and 7173 series drives. Didn't know this until I did some real searching on the 7190. I got it for $25 so wtheck. :p It's not a bad drive so I'm not disappointed for the money that I paid. ;)

...gm

14. RottenKid

RottenKid Member

Thanks guys, I like Lite-on I burn at 16X with nero.
    LoL, my nickname was given to me, its a oxymoron really, I found a guys wallet at the paintball field, and handed it over to the head ref, from then on its Been Rotten Kid: my jersey says it too.

Im the one and Only!

15. gurnard

gurnard Regular member

@pernal hi :)
    i can only compare them against my lite-on's

they seem to be noisier. the drawer is not as robust and a little harsh when sliding. the scan was alittle higher and result lower than on my lite-on. i had to do the scan on my lite-on because the nec didn't have the facility to do one. i very rarely scan my disc's but it is nice to have the ability to do so.

@GM
    you tight git, anything for nothing hey!
    they are 5170A. same spec as the 7170 .
    i bought them on the recommendation of (cough cough) a very good friend of ours. going on the postage on a package sent to said friend a little while ago. i'd need to take out a mortgage to pay for them to get to you lol

16. greensman

greensman Regular member

Hey......that's me, Mr. Squeaky!!! heheehe. :p Who you mailing them too?? lol. If they're in the states then it couldn't be but a few CENTS more to get them here. lol. :p

Out of curiosity how much was it to mail them to the states if you actually looked? I know it costs about $10 USD (priority mail) to mail to either coast from Texas. ;)

Here's the UNOFFICIAL f/w for the 517X series drive. L&G stuff. ;)

...gm

17. 7thsinger

7thsinger Regular member

Personal preference here and i don't think i'm alone on this one: burn at half the speed of your drive. Meaning if your drive is 16x burn at no more than 8x.
    As far as media goes, i use MIJ Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden. But, i've had some moderate luck with off-the-shelf Fuji.

18. blivetNC

blivetNC Regular member

I've been burning Verbatims at 12X for over a year now and see no difference between quality scores t 8X or 12X, occasionally burn at 16X for test purposes, but prefer 12X.

19. LOCOENG

You've got my address gurnard...forward them on please. I'll repay you ten fold in bans and suspensions. If you need any more recommendations please let me know, I hear the ASUS mobo's are good when coupled with Core2Quads's. :p

EIDT: I really only need one, but if you want to send both to me I'll forward the other on to GM to save you some post.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  20. greensman

greensman Regular member

LOCO I appreciate the gesture but I was "messing" with gurnard. :D If I were you I would look at that link for the L&G f/w for the 5170 and see what kind of results you get with it if you can. ;) NOT that I won't take another drive for experimentation but in all honesty I don't need it for my new build. lol. Oh pooooo send it on...... hehehe. ;)

....gm