1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

21" crt monitor=no display!!!

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by ATIROCKS, Mar 27, 2005.

1. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

wat up,
    heres the deal, my 21" NEC crt monitor has not been working properly. It occasionally makes the clicking/ticking sounds and then the display just disappears. I check the connections at the back, this and that, but have no clue why it is giving me this problem!!! Maybe some of you who have experienced this problem could lend a hand or two towards my situation. I would greatly appreaciate it!!

p.s: It was manufactured in 2000 october

2. Liez4Love

Liez4Love Regular member

hmm,, im not to sure,, but are you sure its your mointer? or could it be your vid card?

3. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Well i don't think its my video, ATI Radeon 9800 xt, and i just got it last year. It works for some periods at a time, that is if it's beem off for a couple of hours. Like if i turn it off for the night, the next day it will work for 2-3 hours then fade in and out and the display would slowly disapate. I sometimes figdet with the connections at the back and sometimes it works, but most of the time it just makes the clicking sounds........ NEC 21" Accusync 120

4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

i think you might want to take it to a repair place as it is an internal problem. phone around different tv repair places as the monitor is almost the same thing to get a possible quote. some give free estimates once they see what is going on, they'll let you know the cost so that you can decide whether worthwhile to fix or not

5. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Cool, thanks ppl.

6. ddp

no problem, teach & learn

7. haimback

haimback Regular member

Have you tried differnt cables? May be connection between your card and monitor or possibly your mains cable.Id try swapping them both anyways.

8. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Yea, i tried that...no luck.

9. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Updated:
    I had the monitor off for an hour or soo, it was outside in my car because i was going take it somewhere....anyways a relative told me to do a couple of things before i get it fixed, you know just to make sure, so i tried a whole slew of cables, this and that, and noticed that it safely stays on for about 3-4 minutes and then the image just fades away and sometimes fades in and out, sort of struggling. But a little whack at the back, and the image comes back for another 3-4 mins??? Wat the heck is going on?

p.s: i really appreciate the replys ppl.

p.p.s: sometimes when i fidget with the wire coming from the video card to the monitor, it sort of makes this static cracking noise, like a switch going off and on a couple of times, then it stops...? :S

Last edited: Mar 27, 2005
  10. ddp

like i said before, take it in to be repaired as it sounds like a break in the wire or maybe a problem with the flyback transformer

11. baabaa

baabaa Active member

There will be dry joints inside, probably on the secondary supply side to the logic circuits.(supply regulation).

The fact that it fades in and out suggests that it is not a cable issue, if it was you would either loose a colour or more tahn likely 'sync' and the display would display a messgage similar to 'no video input signal'.

As ddp suggested, take it to a repair shop, and tell them the exact problem and the fact that if you 'slap' it, it makes a difference.

Repair places charge you normally just for looking at it, but if you can be specific about the problem and suggest that 'you know' the problem is dry joints, then you will find that they will only charge you minimum amount.

You could have a look yourself, if you are aware of the 'Dangers' inside a monitor and competant with a soldering iron.............but if you are not then DO NOT ATTEMPT TO OPEN IT UP...........20 - 30 Thousand volts reside inside there and will certainly 'spice up your life' if you discover it....................

12. ATIROCKS

ATIROCKS Regular member

Cool....thanks guys! Appreaciate all the help!

13. ddp

teach & learn