1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

21 GRAMS

Discussion in 'DVDR' started by vancity, Mar 24, 2005.

1. vancity

vancity Member

Having a real tough time attempting to backup 21 Grams. When using Dvd Shrink about 50% through encoding a 'cyclic redundancy check' error shows up OR (at the same point of encoding) dvd shrink announces that the disk is encrypted and cannot be encoded...That's kind of like a fridge telling me that my lukewarm groceries are too warm to be refrigerated, is it not?

I also tried DVD Decryptor, and it gave me a big list of errors and finally crapped out. If you would like the specific error list I can attempt to use it again; however, I'm running off a very small 40Gb HD, so making 10 GB available (or thereabouts) to Back up with Decryptor and then Using shrink (another 5 Gb~) is somewhat cumbersome.

Any help would be appreciated,

Thank you in advance

Pete

2. bilbo65

bilbo65 Regular member

Suggestion: Clean your original disc very well. Use DVD Decrypter to remove copy protection and write to HD, then DVD Shrink to size to DVD5 and DVD Decrypter or Nero to burn.

I used AnyDVD and CloneDVD2 with no problems for this particular movie.

3. creaky

creaky Moderator Staff Member

i did this movie recently (uk) , no funny protections, Shrink just sailed thru it.

4. vancity

vancity Member

I suppose it is just a dirty disc. I'll try cleaning it and see if that helps. It looks fine with no scratches, but I suppose looks are deceiving.

5. sadsac

sadsac Guest

Three things could do this:

1 dirty disk.
    2 scratched disk.
    3 an imperfection in the disk itself during the pressing process at the factory.

If a good cleaning won't do it, it must have a scratch or imperfection in the disk. You may have to purchase another original if you want to back it up.

6. vancity

vancity Member

Okay, well I don't have anything to clean it with right now, I'll go buy some when I get a chance and let you all know if it worked.

I'm really in no rush, but try to backup all my movies once I buy them just in case...

Been burglarized before and lost my entire collection at the time. So I put the backups in storage just in case that ever happens again...

7. sadsac

sadsac Guest

A little spit and a very soft t-shirt works for me. I also bought one of those automatic disc cleaners. $14 at gamestop. That works alright.

As for scratches, someone said a little toothpaste can do the trick. Just be careful.

8. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Scratches are tough. Please don't try toothpaste lol...or you will be online buying a new dvd drive lol. You could get by scratches sometimes... but it depends on how tough they are.

9. dvdripdvd

dvdripdvd Regular member

i tried one of those disc cleaners. it ended up having a million more scratches on it making my dvd player go bonkers and me screaming 'what the hell", as i ran out the door shouting what have i done WHAT-HAVE-I-DONE. tears flowing from my hurting eyes as people tried to comfort me. i ran for days trying to find the reason. and on the third week i found the answer. it was a backup so i just made another backup and the problem was fixed.

10. nohelpme

nohelpme Regular member

Can you narrow down what chapters are damaged and just copy those portions?? I have done that before but u miss some things in the movie.

11. vancity

vancity Member

With regards to narrowing down the damaged chapters and copying the rest of the movie; this would serve me no use. I'd rather just keep only the original than make incomplete backups. It defeats the purpose to me. But that doesn't mean it wouldn't work.

And to DvdRipDvd your reply was priceless. That's some funny stuff, man.

To Sadsac, I think I read that toothpaste works in Maxim Magazine. I don't really think that'd be a viable solution, if it is, i'm not willing to try it just yet ;)

To Everyone, thanx for helpin', I'm gonna get my friend to see if he can burn it. His burner seems to whiz through scratched dvds with no ill effects.

I'll let you guys know what happens