1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

28Gig Boot drive (XP). Just got new 80Gig drive. Should it be slave?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by flyrplnz, Dec 26, 2004.

1. flyrplnz

flyrplnz Member

I want to burn DVD movies. For Christmas I received a new DVD burner and a new 80 Gig hard drive. My current boot drive with XP is a 28 Gig drive. Should I install XP on the new 80 Gig drive and store my DVD files on it to burn to DVD or can I just use my 28 Gig as my boot drive, store my DVD files on the 80 Gig as slave drive and burn from it to the DVD?

Which is most efficient?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  2. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

how loaded is the 28gig drive

3. flyrplnz

flyrplnz Member

I have just about maxed out the 28 Gig drive. I have the 28 Gig as master on primary controller. 80 Gig as slave on primary controller. DVDR as master on secondary controller and CD/DVD ROM as slave on secondary.

I thought about moving all my data (My Documents, etc.) to the new 80 Gig and leaving OS on the 28 Gig. Also maybe I need a dedicated swap file partition on the 28 Gig.

Or should I put the OS on the 80 Gig as master and move the 28 Gig to slave and use it for storage?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2004
  4. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

use 80 as master & 28(actually 30gig) as slave

5. dlc2000

dlc2000 Regular member

i would leave xp on the smaller drive as it will defrag and run check disc faster than the larger drive . i use larger drives for storage and smaller drives for the os . copy and paste isnt that hard to do for moving your data from the smaller to the larger drive . either way is up to you .
    if you are planning to store dvd movies on the 28 gig drive you will only beable to fit 6 at the most on that drive . than you have no more storage space left for the rest of your data . i try to keep my os drive from being loaded down by moving data off of the drive and on to a larger storage drive . hope this helps