1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd and 3rd generation s-vhs tapes to dvd

Discussion in 'Video capturing from analog sources' started by btfjf, Apr 18, 2005.

1. btfjf

btfjf Member

I was wondering if any of the AD faithful have had any experience converting S-VHS/VHS tapes (that have already been edited-raw to edited master-to copy of master)to dvd...I have a friend that shot his raw footage and burned it using a "Centrios" dvd recorder. The tape is 20+ years old...Never edited...It copied very well, all things considered...I have tried downloading my edited footage through my DV camera to PC...The resulting disc had many lines through it(skips and jumps etc)...I tried my 2nd-3rd gen tape in my friends "Centrios" and the same skips occurred, so I feel it must be something to do with the 2nd-3rd generation situation...Any thoughts?
    Note: I have all the necessary chips, memory,CPU speed etc, to do this. I've been doing everything digitally, but now am attempting to archive bulky s-vhs/vhs.

2. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

The only thing that's going to clean some of that stuff up, is a good Time Base Corrector.
    Datavideo has one of the best, although Canopus also puts out good consumer devices.

3. btfjf

btfjf Member

Greetings Reebootjim
    Would these systems "enhance-strengthen" (for lack of a better term) the signal to make a better picture? Or do you feel that the time base is out of whack?..I was looking at the prices for Canopus and Datavideo-a little pricey-I don't want to go to any extreme lengths as I am now completely digital (camera/edit etc)..The tapes themselves are passable...Maybe I'll just wait for a few years and re-visit this problem then...The way things move so quickly in the dvd world, a solution might just be around the corner. Or not.
    Thanks for your input.
    BTFJF

4. rebootjim

rebootjim Active member

TBC's generally do a lot of video "cleaning" as well.
    Take a closer look at even the lowly Canopus ADVC-110, or the 100 from Ebay or on sale (the 100 is discontinued, so it should be showing up cheap).