1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Destructive Recovery coming / Help Please

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by gerry1, Jan 8, 2006.

1. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I hadn't thought of that!! It's probably the original 754 they replaced! They've had it sitting on a shelf somewhere with my name of it! They figured that I'd call in three years when my hard drive or some other component died and with only one month left on the warranty, they'd just send me my old bum parts back until the warranty ran out. You're absolutely right; IT'S A CONSPIRACY!!

2. gear79

gear79 Guest

well, you could always just buy another larger hdd, and use that one for a secondary hdd..
    more space to store stuff...
    i am looking into anothe hdd myself, just waiting for the deal, with rebates and all..
    gonna get a 250 gig hdd for about 80 bucks after rebates

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2006
  3. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Several posts ago, ScubaBud said buying a HP hard drive would be a waste of money and god was he right! Would you believe they wanted $299.99 for this replacement? The saving grace here is that it's free (hence the refurbished I guess ... I think anyway). I'm actually looking forward to doing this when I get after work ...hmmm, I really mustn't have much of a life when this appeals to my sense of adventure LOL!

When you buy an HDD like you were speaking about Gear, is it like a one size fits all or do you buy it to match the manufacturer and model? Well, gotta go!

4. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

If that's the case then what can you say for us that are waiting for your results?!?!?!? <G>

5. gear79

gear79 Guest

you get one that says SATA or IDE...
    more then likely yours is the latter..
    cuz the sata is for newer units, smaller wire connection, 7 pin i think, where as the old has like 40 pins..
    and your looking for like 7200 rpm or better and more the 8mb of cache,i wanna say 16 or higher, but i am having a brain fart right now at work..

6. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

O.K. move over everybody, there's a new computer genius on the block! Mission accomplished...I'm up and running though I still have to close up when I get home. It was late when I finished so I went to bed when I new it was working. I couldn't make out anything from the old HDD as it was entirely in Chinese but the make of the new one is a Maxtor which I believe ddp mentioned somewhere along the line.

I had one problem which took me quite a while to figure out. I had the HDD in, everything was installed and running properly but I couldn't seem to fit the HDD in place and secure it properly...the screws just didn't line up. After about ninety min of long hard thinking, it occured to me that I had it in backwards; so....I'm not the brightest bulb in the curcuit!

Anyway, I just want to say thank you to everyone for all the help; hopefully (knock on wood) this will take care of all the problems I was having! ... Gerry

BTW: there was a setup complete with power source and that flat ribbon thing for a second hard drive.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2006
  7. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Gerry you are a trip!!!

Gave me a good laugh before I have to take off for a bit! Glad to see you up and running, you PC Genius YOU! :)

Take care,

Ted :)

8. gear79

gear79 Guest

as my dad calls me.................. GEEK !!

glad you got it gerry... when will you turn pro now?

9. ddp

ddp Moderator Staff Member

teach & learn

10. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

@gear: yeah, word of my accomplishments have gotten out and I'm just swamped with calls. Steve Jobs called and I wished him well but told him I was no fan of his products. Mark Hurd of HP called and you can well imagine what I had to say to him. Then Bill Gates called but he actually called collect...what's up with that? So I refused to accept the charges. Guess I'll just have to go on with social work and giving piano lessons.

I've got one last question if you don't mind; what do you guys use for protection...ah...on your computer that is. I've been using Norton Internet Security Professional but it's time to renew my subscription and I'm told that there is really efficient and reliable free stuff out there. ddp had posted some links which got spyware that even Norton overlooked. Can I do better or should I stick with the Norton...it really isn't expensive once you've bought the software and only need the updates. THanks guys!

11. gear79

gear79 Guest

12. gear79

gear79 Guest

13. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Gerry, are you speaking of that “extra large” vinyl cover over my PC or Virus Protection?!?!?!? <G>

I have all 4 of my home PC’s on AVG Free Edition, link is in my profile page as well. :)

Norton uses way too much resources and you will notice a change in boot-up time once you remove it completely and install AVG!

14. gear79

gear79 Guest

i personally think norton and mcaffee are junk.. i had norton for a while.... yuck.
    my dad gave me a corporate edition norton for military computers... yuck as well... avg finds sh!t norton never does... and thats the free version at that...
    i like zone alarm's firewall too... also free, a bit hard to understand and set up at first, but it does its job...

15. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

I'll look into it, thanks. ddp had given me links that were awesome but some things missing. Service pack 2 has a firewall though how efficient, I don't know. WOuld need virus protection though.

16. ScubaBud

ScubaBud Regular member

Completely off topic but I had to do this in this thread...

What that means is THIS post is my 2,500th post! <G>

Back on topic, I just use Windows firewall along with AVG free. :)

17. gear79

gear79 Guest

congrats ted... but i told you that in another thread i saw you in... you spammer you !!!

gerry, i dont like windows anything... the man always has to bring you down...... pretty soon, you will be locked out of your own computer...imo

18. ddp

gerry, what things were missing??

19. gerry1

gerry1 Guest

Hi ddp! How are you? What I was talking about there was standard virus protection (or was I wrong?) The hyperlinks you gave me were awesome and I suspect better than norton in those things they had in common: it got spyware Norton missed and I'd run norton just before, I think it cleans URL history better and if the time to run it is any indication, it seems that the virus scan was certainly thorough. Service pack 2 has a firewall but it gave a list of various virus protection software to subscribe to for virus protection. Did I miss something somewhere? At any rate, I redownloaded Norton as I had three weeks or so left but it seemed to think that I just purchased the software and gave me a year until I have to renew the annual subscription.

One thing that really surprised me when I had the CPU opened to change the HDD was the condition of the fans. Despite a little dust, the inside of the CPU was really very clean but the fans were really gross and just packed with dirt and crud...so I cleaned then really thoroughly but I had to work at it...it was like the stuff was baked on. I cleaned them with these pipe cleaners and it was removing these clumps of dust just like the dust clumps under one's bed but smaller. It made a world of difference in how quitely it ran after I got everything closed up and working. Hope you are well.....Gerry

20. ddp

i am well & know all about dust bunnies in customers' computers.