1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2nd Hard Drive?

Discussion in 'PC hardware help' started by dos1986, Jan 6, 2008.

1. dos1986

dos1986 Guest

Hi

I have my pc setup in raid at the moment,but im thinking about disabling it and using two hard drives seperatly say C and D..one for general use with os,other for games and movies only...

If the 2nd drive only has to cope with the games and movies not the OS will my performance be better or worse!!
    hopefully anyway..

Bad idea performance wise?

Main reason I want to do this,is raid is risky and 160gb isnt enough
    for os,games,movies,programs etc....I would like to spread the space on to both hard drives,say 60gb on drive C with os,programs etc 60gb on drive D with games,movies

My Specs

Xps710

Quad Core 2.66ghz
    768mb 8800gtx
    2gb 800mhz ram
    2 160gb samsung hd's
    Vista Home premium 32bit

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 6, 2008
  2. Crab56

Crab56 Regular member

Do you have RAID set up as mirrored or striped ? Striped is where 2 hard drives work as one. From what I understand, striped gives best performance by the way it writes to both hard drives. It is not as safe as mirrored because if 1 drive fails you lose it all. But that's what online backup is for ( www.mozy.com ) I have had 2 200gigs HDD working as stripped RAID array for 2+ years with no issues. All docs and pictures backed up online and everything else is on a disc of free from internet anyway.

3. dos1986

dos1986 Guest

I have raid set up as stripped at the moment,as in I have a full 320gb hard drive not 2 160gb hard drives....

I dont really have alot of documents and such,but I do have alot of movies,music,games etc and I fear the raid failing very much...

I was messing around in the bios and setting the raid as 2 seperate hard drives looks quite easy...

Should I go ahead and do it....

What do you think of the idea of games and movies on drive D,os programs,music,documents,pictures etc on Drive c

4. Crab56

Crab56 Regular member

First you should google RAID array and read what the experts say,that's how I got this far.
    If you change to a mirrored array you will have to reformat system and you are going to lose everything. Mirrored is the safest way but you were interested in performance, that's why I went striped. I just use online backup to save important stuff. Good luck with whatever you do