1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3.40 and 3.40 OE... what's the diff?

Discussion in 'Sony PSP - Homebrew software' started by popocho, Jul 6, 2007.

1. popocho

popocho Member

can i play ISO's with my ver 3.40?

2. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

There is a HUGE difference, 3.40 can't do anything appart from what Sony had in mind, so can't play ISO's or homebrew and no custom themes. 3.40 OE-A let's you do everything, eg: loading ISO's. There is a way to downgrade to 1.5 and then up to 3.40 OE-A, but it requires you to get FW 3.50 and you need a Lumines UMD to do the downgrade (Any version appart from Jap will do), i don't know much more about downgrading than that, check out this thread for details about the 3.50 to 1.50 downgrader

3. popocho

popocho Member

thanks. understood most of that. is there no possible way for me to upgrade my 3.40 to the 3.40OE-A?

yeah and whats the diff between 3.40OE and 3.40OE-A?

how come most people prefer to downgrade to 1.5 when you can do the same stuff with 3.40OE A?

thanks!

4. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

They don't prefer, they need to. Upgrade to 3.50, then downgrade, the go to 3.40 OE-A.

5. popocho

popocho Member

let me get this straight... from my ver 3.40, i downgrade to 1.5.
    then upgrade to 3.5,
    then downgrade to 3.40 OE-A?

i'm risking too much with those upgrades. you guys sure there's no other direct way to do this?

is it better to just stick with the 1.5, since you still can do all the same stuff with 3.40 OE?

last thing, what's the diff between 1.5 and 3.40 OE-A?

6. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

The only way you can upgrade from any Official firmware (eg: 3.40) to a Custom firmware (eg: 3.40 OE-A) is to first downgrade to 1.5, this is the only way it will work, because of the abilities 1.5 has. Both 3.40 OE and OE-A are the same thing, just different names. (The -A stands for Revision A, but there are no other revisions for most custom firmwares, and therefore some people miss off the -A)

In order of what you have to do looks like this:
    From 3.40, get the update for 3.50 and use it
    Then from 3.50 get the downgrader and a UMD of Lumines to get to 1.5
    Then to play the newest games, and without the need of a program called DevHook, upgrade to 3.40 OE-A

There is no other way to use ISO's, though if you don't want to risk bricking more than you have to, you can stick with 1.5 once you get there. But then again, after you get 3.40 OE-A, it is very hard to get a full brick, so it is safer if you upgrade from 1.5 to that. If you follow downgraders and upgraders instructions properly, always have a full battery life and power cable in, there only a very small chance of bricking, as most bricks are down to human error

Also in 1.5, you don't have all of the features (including the net browser) that you do in 3.40 OE-A

Last edited: Jul 7, 2007
  7. CKhaleel

CKhaleel Regular member

In case you didn't understand that, upgrade to 3.50 first, then downgrade with Lumines, then upgrade to 3.40 OE-A.

8. popocho

popocho Member

lumines? have no idea what that is.. newbie here sorry

9. reloadSE

reloadSE Regular member

lumines... lumines is the worst psp game i have ever played.... i only got to get into homrbrew..... (i pity myself from going from 2.80 to 3.11).....

10. Shokz

Shokz Regular member

Yea, Lumines is just a psp game, search on ebay to buy one. The reason you need this is because the downgrader uses an "exploit" found only in that game. In my opinion it's also not exactly the best game ever, though a very small ISO size :)