1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

3 Flashing red lights!!!

Discussion in 'Xbox 360 - Modding & Hacking' started by ajf725, Feb 19, 2007.

1. ajf725

ajf725 Member

Hey. I have a modified xbox 360 console with xtreme firmware. I was in the middle of playing a game when my video froze and sound went out. I immediately shut down and rebooted. got back into the game and it happened again. rebooted again and now i get nothing but the 3 red lights. I have no error code for I have no video or sound. After freaking out i realized that other appliances have been reset as well. Ive come to the conclusion that my 360 had a power surge. Microsoft wants 139.99 to repair it. WHAT SHOULD I DO? HAS ANYONE EVER SENT A MODDED 360 TO BE REPAIRED? Any suggestins would be appreciated!!

2. monteca

monteca Regular member

i wouldn't do that...to me that seems like nothing but trouble.

3. ajf725

ajf725 Member

I know the 3 lights is an a/v problem. i will try a new cable to see what happens. if that doesnt help maybe im better off just selling it for parts on ebay

4. Pride1

Pride1 Regular member

i'm with monteca, it would seem nothing but trouble

5. paul91

paul91 Regular member

im afraid this is bad news for your xbox...this is now becoming quite a common problem with xbox 360's which are just outside their 1 year warranties. the 3 red lights indicates a fatal hardware error which costs £80 to fix (unless you have a warranty) :( but since your xbox is modded the warranty is already invalid so the only options are to buy a new xbox or cough up the money to repair it

believe it or not this just happened to my friend yesterday and he is in the situation where he has 3 red lights on the front and cant even turn his xbox on - and guess what, his 1 year warranty ended 1 month ago

Last edited: Feb 19, 2007
  6. dargo30

dargo30 Member

Hi, just to let you know this problem can be fixed a lot cheaper than that. My 360 had the same problem and I got it flashed and the 3 red lights fixed for £70. That was abot 5months ago, and it is still going strong!!

7. caliph

caliph Guest

OR you could take the other way..........
    Some people who have bricked their xbox 360's(when trying to flash it), returned it to walmart and exchanged it for a new one. Since walmart doesnt ask for a recipet, i guess you could try exchaning a messed up 360 for a new one.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2007
  8. Xithon

Xithon Member

Uh oh, this sounds like trouble.

I'm in the UK and it was in fact only today that my mate mentioned this problem with the 3 red lights just outside of the 1 year warranty...

Does anyone know if this problem applies to 360's outside of the US? I've had mine since January 2006 and I'm rather worried :(

My mate actually said the fault was an in-built feature put in by Microsoft purposefully to cash in even more money from all the busted up 360s they'd need to repair.

I hope my 360 doesn't count as a potential brick like others, I don't use it that often really, maybe once a week.

Does anyone else know anything about this problem? Microsoft have got some nerve trying this if they actually did...

Sorry about your 360 ajf725, I suppose chips are just pot-luck and have the potential to ruin consoles. I hope you can get that sorted; I do tend to agree with caliph, though. If you can convince walmart you bought it from them you could be in luck. Just a shame there's nowhere really like that in Britain... it's no receipt, no refund everywhere.

Good luck.

9. paul91

paul91 Regular member

yeh xithon its a shame ther's no place like walmart in the uk lol

i doubt a company with a high a profile as M$ would DELIBERATELY make 360's break but it does seem that this is quite a common problem

my friend who i mentioned up there ^^ made a really stroppy phone call to M$ and now he's getting his fixed for free!

10. Xithon

Xithon Member

Ha! Too right he should!

Well ok, maybe suggesting Microsoft would deliberately do this is a little extreme, but to be fair, it was them who made the console and if there's been reports of a lot of them failing to function after a year, it just goes to show they didn't test it enough or used a cheap component or building process here or there.

It really is disgusting that they should ask for 80 quid to repair our £300+ machines: us thinking from the start that for cash like this, it should have top quality build and parts.

Although I'm not a heavy user of mine, if it actually does go bust in the next few months, I'll be giving Microsoft a piece of my mind.

This all seems very familiar to me, though... Does anyone remember all the hassle people had when they bought their original Xbox'es around the release date? They caused fires because of the ridiculous heat the transformer gave off, even when the Xbox itself as not in use. Sure, Microsoft were gushing, offering Xbox owners free fixed transformers, but another possible serious fault with the 360 as well...

Come on MS, sort yourselves out!!

Last edited: Feb 21, 2007
  11. David360

David360 Member

There are several reasons for the "3 red light" faults...poor heat dissapation and poor input power that I know of. I can create "3 red lights" on my 360 everytime just by wiggling the plug at the back of the unit. That is why the Nyko intercoolers are bad...because they don't securely fasten to the 360. Also make sure that the 360 is plugged directly into the wall outlet, no power strip. Last, keep it in an area with good air circulation and best to stand up vertically to free up the most space to dissapate heat. FYI: I bought both of my premium 360's on ebay for $150.00 each, both claiming the "3 red light" fault but haven't experienced the fault first hand myself while playing. Just my two cents. I have heard over and over how people send their 360's in for repair only for the fault to happen again...which leads me to believe its not just the fault of the 360 but also how it is cooled and powered.

12. Xithon

Xithon Member

Wow, 2 360s?!

I actually had all 4 lights on my 360 go red a few minutes ago, due to the fact I forgot to plug in the video out cable.

Thanks a lot for the heads up david, and I'm sure ajf725 will be glad to hear that. I know how dodgy the power lead going into the 360 can be because of the unique connector and the fact it has to go in all the way so it clicks.

As for heat dissipation, I'd recommend getting a well rated cooling dock if you enjoy using your 360 a lot. I wouldn't benefit from it as much obviously because of my short usage.

13. dargo30

dargo30 Member

I cant say I know what the 3 red light fault is exactly, but like i said previously i had mine fixed and chipped 5 months ago, and it is still good. I dropped it off in Manchester and picked it up the same day. So dont think that the three red lights are the death throws of your xbox 360, because they are not!!! If your M$ warranty has run out there are plenty of people out there that will fix it for a decent price.

14. paulbrem

paulbrem Member

Spooky
    The 3 red light thing happened to mine this morning........
    my console was bought in january last year so its one month out of warranty. But I got a new console from microsoft about 4 months ago because I sent mine back for repair and they game me a new one.
    Both were modified firmware, oh well what shall I do next :-s

15. ajf725

ajf725 Member

guys thanks for all the help I appreciate it. I will try my 360 with a friends console to see if the power brick is just messed up. if not ill give walmart a try. I didnt know they didnt need receipts good tip! Ill let everyone know what happenes.

Thank to everyone!

16. raysuave

raysuave Regular member

Does anybody know which 360 versions (firmwares? or DVD drive models?) which is most likely to get the three rings. First I had an ms25 I bought in Dec. 05, and got it replaced four months ago with an ms28 because I started to get the white screen with all the languages a lot. I modded the ms28 last month and haven't had any problems. Are these issues more common with the first shipments of 360's or is it just random 360's without any type of pattern?

17. ajf725

ajf725 Member

I have a first wave ms-25. Im not sure which fw i have because someone i had someone do it for me. Im pretty sure its 3.0 at least. it was done in mid-october so whatever the latest fw was back then, thats what i have. Is it possible i just need to re-flash to a newer firmware? i was thinking about upgrading anyway.

Thoughts?

18. knockemv2

knockemv2 Regular member

now that i think about yea my xbox did the same thing after a power surge throught out the house but when i started it back up it played just fine but wow i would have been pissed if my xbox got jacked up

19. paulbrem

paulbrem Member

I flashed my xbox to 4.0 (latest at the time) and got open tray error messages. I reflash to 3.3. then all was fine.
    the red three rings appeared yesterday (see my previous post above) and I have just reflash back to my original firmware, still the 3 red rings error :-(.
    I flash using my motherboard and even with the consoles dvd drive connected to the pc the 3 red rings flash.
    anyone any thoughts (besides microsoft or skip ;-)

20. paulbrem

paulbrem Member

sorry look at next post.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2007